The Begining!

Tim06

How did everyone first become interested in aviation? Also, what did your parents say when you wanted to start taking lessons?

Tim

secretapproach

I had little interest in aviation until a few years ago when I was doing a lot of commercial flying as a passenger and was beginning to get a fear of flying that wasn't there before. I decided that if I understood why airplanes stay in the air that I would lose at least some of my fear. I started reading as much as I could about how airplanes fly; I lost my fear and now have a private pilot license.

Ecl!pse

Around when I was 3 years old...we lived near a military base (Fort Hood, Texas), and had two HUGE windows in the back of my house. My parents said i sat at the window and watched for hours on end...then, about 2 years ago, a spark lit that really got me to want to do it more than ever

davidhigbie

[ QUOTE ]
Around when I was 3 years old...we lived near a military base (Fort Hood, Texas),

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea! Ft Hood.....long 4 yrs of my life there, but fun.

isotope

My Grandparents lived directly across from Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City. When I was a kid I would sit on the porch and watch the heavies fly in and out of Tinker all day. Loved aircraft ever since.

EatSleepFly

Grew up close to a little GA airport. Watched crop dusters working the fields around my house. My parents used to take my brother and I to a road near the end of the runway to watch the planes take off and land. My dad's cousin was an A-10 and later F-16 driver, and we'd go to his base open houses whenever they had them.

Took my first lesson in April of '98 and have been current since.

flyguy

I've always been interrested in aviation as long as I can remember, not sure how or why. I began thinking about a career in aviation my junior year in high school when a classmate of mine had a father who was a UAL DC-10 captain (that was back when UAL still had DC-10s) and he arranged for my physics class to fly one of the DC-10 sims at the United training facility in Denver. That was just about the most exciting thing I've ever done, and I've been very hooked ever since.

Johnathan

I was interested in about grade 2 when my family flew a lot, the pilots always brought me up to the cockpit. In grade 6 I bought FS2002 and loved it, the next year I decided the pilot life was for me. Then in august 2003 my parents and grandparents surprised me with my Familiarization flight scheduled 45 min. after my party, so I went completly unprepared and it was very unexpected as my parents acted unsupportive of taking lessons. I now fly a C152 out of CYSN am training for my Student Pilot Permit (which I can get at the age 14 and solo), am the flight school's fastest learning student, I know the pilot for the president of Wal-Mart, I am an avid visitor to JC and I collect 1:200 scale airplane models. Any questions?

Sprint100

I didn't start off interested in flying. I was more interested in the design, build, and use of miltary aircraft. Got the flying bug at about 17 as I got more and more into engineering, etc.

PhotoPilot

I've been hooked for as long as I can remember. As a kid, I always liked vacations more for the airports and plane rides than for the destinations. I flew in a C-177RG as part of a community ed program when I was in 5th grade and BEGGED for lessons. They were too expensive and I got into sea kayaking instead. Then after graduating from college and starting a successful photography business, I spent a lot of time in Cessnas as a part of my job. That was enough to add fuel to the already raging fire and I quit the business, my wife and I sold off most of our stuff, packed the cars and moved across the country so I could pursue a flying career full-time.

Smartest way to go about it? Maybe not. Most fun? Heck yeah!

P.S. Thanks for humoring me, babe!

flycanuck

I basically took interest in aviation from flying the airlines. That led to taking some lessons and it went on from there.
Whether I will pursue it as career is very questionable though.

CK

My mom flew Dash 7's during 7 months of her pregnacy with me which may have helped a little, but living on an airport and doing a lot of flying with my parents defiently set it off. We used to fly every weekend when I was a baby so I've just always been around aviation.

Joe

I'd say I was fascinated by airliners ever since I was about 5 when my family went to Florida for vacation. Around 16 or so I started getting the wacky idea of eventually becoming a pilot myself. I had started reading some of my mom's old Jeppesen manuals from the late '70s-early '80s that she had when she wanted to be a pilot (instructor was killed in a crash before she even soloed, and she never pursued it after that). Anywho, I was suprised in mid-January with an intro-flight for my 17th birthday, and after that I was hooked. A few months later I stumbled across this site, and decided I wanted to pursue it as a career.

bluelake

in 1982,
I rode in the jumpseat of Empire Airlines Fokker F28 from Utica NY to Syracuse NY.

I felt sick cuz both of the pilots were smoking, and I was really worried cuz on the approach we were "crooked".

Since then, I loved aviation. Along the way, I had lots of other interests and now I am back to aviation.

Nutmeg_Pilot

I think I was hooked back in the '70s...back when the Apollo missions were going on. Got to ride on a Piedmont 737, and I knew I had to get my wings. Had to wait until the '80s to do anything about it (when I was making some money part-time).....then got my Private-Glider rating in 1990, along with some early C-172 rides through CAP.

Lima_Charlie

I guess I have been "interested" in aviation every since I was a little kid. I LOVED to build minature models. My favorite was the F-14 w/ the movable wings. I kinda lost the interest when I learned that my eyesight wasn't good enough to be a pilot. In addition, I didn't have anyone in my family that was involved in aviation, so I never really got fully exposed to the experience. All I knew was that I LOVED getting on big planes. A few years ago, I got my eyes fixed, and that opened up a whole new world. The flying bug bit me hard, and I decided to finally pursue the dream that I had buried for so long. Now I am in the midst of making my dream a reality!

ScorpionStinger

Asking my Grand-Mama what those tiny birds that reflected off the sun was when i was 4 years old. And then learning people were in there. At that point i wanted to Fly up there !!

mtsu_av8er

In 1979, I rode on a Delta L-101 from San Francisco to Atlanta, and I had a blast!! I remember sitting on my father's lap, asking him why those things on the wings were moving. Those are truly my earliest memories!!!

I was but a few years old then, and I never flew again until I was in the 9th grade. I rode a Navy C-9 from the Alameda Naval Air Station down to North Island, and bak a few weeks later. I didn't know much about flying (I was always asking my mother and father about airplanes, but I couldn't get much out of them...), but I thought that it was the coolest thing around! That flight was just incredible!!

After that, I flew again in my senior year of High School, on a Continental MD-80 from San Francisco to New Orleans (don't remember where we stopped). A few months later I flew a United 737 from San Francisco to San Diego (let's just say I remember NOTHING about that flight - I was on my way to recruit training...
).

While I was in the Marine Corps, I flew more than I care to remember, on pretty much every airline and type of aircraft around. But after about 4 years in the Marine Corps, I ran across a copy of flying magazine in the PX, and I realized that I might actually be able to fly airplanes!!!

The rest is history!!!!

RiddlePilot

I used to belong to the Civil Air Patrol as a kid, and I my interest grew from that. From about my sophomore year of highschool, I knew what I wanted to do. I got some flak for it, as most people at that age were thinking more about being cool and smoking. Heck, most of my peers thought what I wanted to do was "far-fetched." Now a few of those girls from back then want me to take 'em flyin. Buahaha.

Wait, what were we talkin' about?

mtsu_av8er

[ QUOTE ]
. . .I knew what I wanted to do. I got some flak for it, as most people at that age were thinking more about being cool and smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's all I cared about in the 10th grade....