Thank you!!!

I think the focus is getting side-tracked here. What I'm reading is that folks don't think that they can still party and have a good time in the D.C. area.

That's not the case.

If this site is about the people, then the location doesn't matter.

Vegas is fun. It's also getting stale. We've done what there is to do in Vegas.

What I'm supporting by offering D.C. as an option is a change of scenery with TONS of new things to do at a very low cost (i.e. most are free).

No, a night out in Alexandria isn't Vegas. The bars will be closer together, cheaper, and just as crowded.

Yes, I do think NWJC has reached a fork, but it has nothing to do with substance (are we just going to have fun or are we professionals?), it has everything to do with moving forward. IMHO, staying in Vegas, we get stale. Same ol same ol each year.

By moving to a new location with more to offer, we move forward. We still keep the same events.. I'm sure there's an Irish Pub in D.C. where we can all meet ;) , but we open the door to more people whom otherwise won't attend the event because it's in Vegas - and to more activites that all would enjoy (aviation museums).

I have noticed that the majority (not all of course) of those supporting staying in Vegas are young, male and single. ;) :D

If it moves to D.C. - cool. Let me know and I'll help coordinate. If it stays in Vegas - cool, let me know and I'll help coordinate.

But, my vote is for D.C. for all the reasons I've posted before.

I can see what Stan is trying to convey, but I would have to disagree to the 'lend more credibility' factor.

What do people think when they see these names?

Do you think they would receive more credibility if they held their conventions elsewhere? I would doubt that seriously. There are plenty of things that might lend more credibility to an event other than location.

There are plenty of 'credible' meetings/conventions in LAS over the next year and the ones above are just a few. The complete list is located: Here....
remember that most conventions are moved from city to city every year....not many have their conventions in the same location year after year.

My planning convention was in LAS this past year but next year, they'll be in MSP.

remember that most conventions are moved from city to city every year....not many have their conventions in the same location year after year.

My planning convention was in LAS this past year but next year, they'll be in MSP.

True, but you could run the list again next year and see similar 'types' of groups I have no doubt.

I don't know, I guess it's just a circle for me.

1. NJC' is all about THE PEOPLE.
  2. People like Vegas, It's a blast.
  3. Vegas, understandably (to some) may lead to a 'less than' credible view
  4. Those who over-indulge {take away from the credibility} will do so, no matter the location. But......
  5. Who are we (members of JC) trying to impress or provide credibility to? The other members of JC, I would venture to say.
  6. Which brings it back to Number 1 above.

So I guess in my voting for Vegas, I shot my own theory in the foot. :panic:

Hopefully that made sense to some. It made sense in the vast space between my ears, but it sometimes gets lost in route to the keyboard. :D

If you and Doogie make it to MSP, give me a holler.:hiya:

Stan is the man with a plan!:nana2: I'm with Stan on this one. I wouldn't say that Vegas has lost it's NJC charm, but NJC needs a change of venue once and awhile since it will hopefully be a yearly JC ritual for a long time to come. Obviously Doug and Kristie have felt the urge that it might be a good changeup that NJC be held somewhere other than Vegas next year. As far as JC event's, if you ask Doug, I'll try to make it no matter what or how many connections I have to make to get there!;) So if they want have NJC in D.C. or back in Vegas as usual, I'm there and will help with planning as much as posssible.
I think holding NJC in D.C. next year will allow more members the opportunity to attend due to the number of members on the east coast. I mean D.C. is a quick flight anywhere on the east coast, easy to nonrev to with three airports (IAD, DCA, and BWI) or within decent driving distance/time.

After what BobDDuck said, I am going to go with Vegas.

He is right when he said that NJC is a way for people to meet other people in this industry. In this industry it is ALL about networking and who you know.

Vegas allowed us to focus the attention of professionalism AND allowed us to successfully network and help people get jobs.

Keep it in Vegas.

My .02 cents

:yeahthat:

I'm not sure that I would be very interested in attending in DC. DC feels like work to me. Vegas is relaxing and fun. I don't feel inclined to bid a week of vacation to spend in DC.

I'm not sure that I would be very interested in attending in DC. DC feels like work to me. Vegas is relaxing and fun. I don't feel inclined to bid a week of vacation to spend in DC.
It really doesn't matter where these people are . . . we could be in the worst overnight city you ever experienced, and I would show up. For real, it is about the company;)

Yeah, I am inclined to agree with ya, Vegas is made for large groups of people and not sure how excited I would be to plan days off for a trip to Washington DC.

Yet, saying that, I do see Kristie's dilemma that Vegas could start to get a little stale, and of course, I agree with Bumblebee that J/C is fun because of the people.

If alternate place is on the planning table, a place that is big group/party friendly and still gives potential for learning-type seminars.

I don't know about the FAA building, but the ALPA buildings in both downtown and Herndon are just offices. Not much to see. You'd be better off just trying to secure an appearance from Prater or Paul Rice. Bill Couette (VP Admin) would be a great choice, too. I kept trying to get a commitment from someone for this year's NJC (and I think Dough was trying, too), but I was never able to get anyone. The fact that the ALPA BOD meeting was taking place on the same week probably killed it. BOD week is very busy. But there's no BOD meeting in '09, so maybe you could have better luck.

I was very impressed w/ his opening speech at the BOD meeting! Among others, he'd certainly be a great choice for an (in)formal chat w/ our group.

I don't like the idea of staying *IN* DC though...it's known to be an unsafe area. I'd rather stay in alexandria, manassas or georgetown...

Downtown Alexandria is really cool...lots of good brew pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Downtown manassas is the same way. i haven't been to georgetown.

but maybe Tony can input more on that since he lives near there....

Georgetown is part of DC. As for the DC being bad news, not really. Sure, if you go to a crappy part of town, but there aren't too many hotels there.

You want your hotel to be in Northwest DC. Keep it on the red line if possible. There is a big Marriott on the red line at the Woodley Park stop.

Manassas? Forget it, unless everyone wants to rent a car and drive an hour to get into the city.

Alexandria? Sure, you could do that, too.

If you're going to do DC, you want to stay in the city itself. Georgetown is spendy, and there is no public transit there. Of course, you can hoof it to all the places where you want to go out. I'd try Dupont Circle (Max will love that :p) or down by the Old Post Office or near the Capitol.

...not sure if it's been mentioned already. Hacen't read this thread yet. But maybe we should move the main even to the very last day of the three day event.

That last day with the main event already having pasted is kinda boring. Everyone is kinda splintered and doing their own thing. Takes alot of coordination to get people together and on the same page.

What I like best about NJC is when we're all together as a group, Not:

"Hey, are you guys doing anything tonight?"

"No, were thinking of meeting up with some people, maybe. We're not sure."

"Do you know where everyone is?"

"Well, ___ left for home and so did ___ and ___ and ___. So were not sure if ___ and ___ and ___ is even still here."

Dunno, people who were still thereon Weds, know what I'm talking about!

that was the plan for this year, it just didn't work out as planned.

Cool. If it's done that way, it's the cap to the entire event. Better to do all the tours and roundtables and stuff before hand.

Then go out with a big bang at the end of the event with the networking party!

Back