Thank you Delta

+1

I only wish there was some way for us to list online ahead of time, to at least get the ball rolling. That’s my only complaint :) otherwise Delta does a great job with jumpseaters.

definitely an improvement, considering that Delta used to allow no one in their jumpseat at all back in the day, including their own.

This. Changed in the '96 contract. I rode them a few times in the late 90's after they got that, and had a few "interesting" viewpoints shared with me on that topic. In the interest of balance, there were a few other carriers that were like that as well, but had made those changes in the 70s.

This. Changed in the '96 contract. I rode them a few times in the late 90's after they got that, and had a few "interesting" viewpoints shared with me on that topic. In the interest of balance, there were a few other carriers that were like that as well, but had made those changes in the 70s.

I believe Delta and American were the last two carriers to go to unlimited cabin jumpseats as well. I remember getting denied on an AA MD80 that had about 50 open seats in the back because they already had one offline pilot riding back there.

I believe Delta and American were the last two carriers to go to unlimited cabin jumpseats as well. I remember getting denied on an AA MD80 that had about 50 open seats in the back because they already had one offline pilot riding back there.

Argh. Pretty sure American was the very last holdout to that. I "fondly" remember getting turned away at the AA gate trying to get home to LGA from sims in STL (not wanting to waste time on the company-provided wrong direction two leg STL-CLT-LGA on US) every damn time. AAlthough the entire MD was empty, there was AAlready one jumpseater. Bastiges...

Got denied on a UAL 727 for the same reason, already two riding in the back along with two in the cockpit JS. Something about only being able to take people in the back by the number of jumpseats they had up front. That same flight had a 4-striper sitting at the FE panel; back in the day when post-age 60, one could revert to the FE panel until age 64.

definitely an improvement, considering that Delta used to allow no one in their jumpseat at all back in the day, including their own.

Well. They used to have anti nepotism rules, left engines running at the gate. Flew through microbursts, and landed on taxiways and milports, but as you say, improvements.

At least on American that depended on the Jumpseat agreement between American and the OAL. Whether it was Limited (D6L) or Unlimited (D6U).

When I was at Eagle, I thought every one was Unlimited (D6U). Until we had a flight where we had two jumpseaters a D6U and a D6L and plenty of seats open in the back.

The D6U guy had checked in first, so he got the cabin seat in the cabin, the D6L guy checked in second and was told there was no seat for him because there was already one jump seater…
If the D6L guy had been first, he would have gotten a seat in the cabin, and then the D6U guy would get a seat in the cabin as well…

That was pretty messed up.

Was/is it the case that online pilots over there are magically weightless but offline pilots are not, too?

Was/is it the case that online pilots over there are magically weightless but offline pilots are not, too?

No. There were some old school "local" types that felt that jumpseating was "unprofessional", and made that QUITE clear. I had one guy, when it became clear I either had to ride the JS or have him give me the boot (no seats in back), told me "to sit down, shut up, and don't touch anything" (and I was from another major, and this was mid 2000's).

To be clear, that wasn't just ATL guys. I've had some VERY quirky encounters with DEN types as well. One guy STRONGLY "encouraged" me to go out and buy a pass instead of JSing ("we're in this to make money, you know").

Takes all kinds, I guess.

There were some old school "local" types that felt that jumpseating was "unprofessional", and made that QUITE clear.
"I don't want to be up here either. In fact, I'm mentally projecting myself, Cylon-style, to my favorite place right now, which would be 'Not Here.'"

I had one guy, when it became clear I either had to ride the JS or have him give me the boot (no seats in back), told me "to sit down, shut up, and don't touch anything" (and I was from another major, and this was mid 2000's).
See previous, no? :)

One guy STRONGLY "encouraged" me to go out and buy a pass instead of JSing ("we're in this to make money, you know").
"Right now, I'm trying to get to work/home/wherever, so that's what I am in it for."

Takes all kinds, I guess.
I suppose so.

A few carriers have the jumpseat included in the BOW (although load planning can often take the weight for other things if nobody is in the jumpseat. We do it a bit differently. As long as the jumpseat is reserved prior to the flight (on line) the weight has priority over pretty much everything else including passengers and cargo.

I remember when Delta had the 1 jumpseater per PHYSICAL jumpseat installed rule. Back in 2004, I was trying to catch a ride on Song from LGA to MCO. I checked in at the gate and they sent me down. There was already an Eagle guy up front talking to the Captain. I showed up and humbly asked for a ride. The Captain looked at me, the Eagle guy and the one jumpseat on the 757. He then said, "We have a problem. I can only put one of you on the jumpseat." He then asked me to wait in the galley while he finished with the Eagle guy. The #1, or whatever Delta called them at the time, looked at me and said, "He's not going to leave you, is he? We have 100 open seats." I just shrugged my shoulders.

A couple of minutes later, the Captain stepped out of the cockpit and said, "Come with me." My bags were by the 2L door of the airplane and I asked if I should grab them. He told me know. He walked me up to the podium, put his arm around me and looked at the gate agent and said, "I don't care what you have to do or how you have to show it, but he rides with us to Orlando." He smiled at me and said, "See you onboard."

Great experience!

I remember when Delta had the 1 jumpseater per PHYSICAL jumpseat installed rule. Back in 2004, I was trying to catch a ride on Song from LGA to MCO. I checked in at the gate and they sent me down. There was already an Eagle guy up front talking to the Captain. I showed up and humbly asked for a ride. The Captain looked at me, the Eagle guy and the one jumpseat on the 757. He then said, "We have a problem. I can only put one of you on the jumpseat." He then asked me to wait in the galley while he finished with the Eagle guy. The #1, or whatever Delta called them at the time, looked at me and said, "He's not going to leave you, is he? We have 100 open seats." I just shrugged my shoulders.

A couple of minutes later, the Captain stepped out of the cockpit and said, "Come with me." My bags were by the 2L door of the airplane and I asked if I should grab them. He told me know. He walked me up to the podium, put his arm around me and looked at the gate agent and said, "I don't care what you have to do or how you have to show it, but he rides with us to Orlando." He smiled at me and said, "See you onboard."

Great experience!

In the mid 1990s, I was flying cargo in a Chief and a Caravan out of PHX. Am down at YUM in the Chief that evening loading up cargo on the ramp of the then-Bet Ko Air FBO for the last evening run to PHX after having been picking up stuff all over western AZ and eastern California along the river. This Capt in uniform comes wandering over in a haste from the small air terminal and asks if I’m the pilot (we didn’t wear a formal pilot uniform apart from a polo), I say yes as I notice that he’s an America West pilot with his ID. He asks if I’m headed to PHX and if so, is there any chance at all that he can hop a ride as his A and B plan jumpseats both fell through, and his C plan to go through YUM fell through for the leg to PHX to start his trip, and there’s nothing more for the day there. Said sure, throw your bags in the nose, hop aboard! Flew to PHX, and gave him a ride to the terminal while my plane was being unloaded. Seemed to enjoy the flight.

Great experience!

I was mid trip, EWR-MHT overnight with an Morning dead head back to ewr (stupid leg). One of our CA’s was jumping to MHT at the end of his trip, senior CAL guy shows up pissed because the flights full and there’s already a 9L guy in the seat. 9L guys had to pay to list on our own planes, so, we didn’t. He thought he had a ride…. And then didn’t.

I Walked to the other 9L guy “ how’s your duty time today?” He’s like, wide open, only had 1 leg.
“You want to fly this one up to MHT, take the Cal guy with you? Sure.

Surprisingly crew sched was cool, understood the ask and had no problems with it. I went back to the crash pad, had a beer. Both guys made it home that night. Now retired CAL pilot has a float plane up here, I still get to fly it from time to time. Worked out great for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back