Teton Views

Ben Peters

Thought I’d post a few photos from some of my recent hour building flights out of Driggs (DIJ), Idaho.

EB1EC256-2A4D-4C52-9C23-9C13CD91711A.jpeg

B6C9466C-E1B7-4E97-BEC3-530B49D7CB47.jpeg
A1EB5739-BFF6-47C8-9387-19019B14506E.jpeg
B366F175-6068-4639-94FA-9C68A5A2932E.jpeg

Not a bad place to build hours!

Thought I’d post a few photos from some of my recent hour building flights out of Driggs (DIJ), Idaho.

View attachment 42706
View attachment 42708View attachment 42709View attachment 42710
Maybe with two engines burning Jet-A!
But seriously, pretty cool. Us flat landers just don't understand! That first picture is amazing with the sunset reflecting on the wing. (oh God, you flew home in the dark over those things?! Super hero status in my small mind!)

View attachment 42706
View attachment 42708View attachment 42709View attachment 42710

God I miss that. Night flights with a full moon are the best. Or coming down Paradise Valley on a clear day and you can pick the Tetons up from the north entrance of the park. If you get a chance, fly up to that strip in Gardner, it's a fun ride in and out right there on the river. I used to live across the highway at YRC. Ah memories

God I miss that. Night flights with a full moon are the best. Or coming down Paradise Valley on a clear day and you can pick the Tetons up from the north entrance of the park. If you get a chance, fly up to that strip in Gardner, it's a fun ride in and out right there on the river. I used to live across the highway at YRC. Ah memories
Mitsu's and crotch rockets, the profile is all coming together now! Why haven't we had a beer yet?!

Would you take 15 north to get up there? You could pick me up on the way. :)

Given how much time I'm spending at JYO lately, that wouldn't be too difficult. Especially since I make it a point to practice teaching CSEL maneuvers over your house.

Given how much time I'm spending at JYO lately, that wouldn't be too difficult. Especially since I make it a point to practice teaching CSEL maneuvers over your house.
You've got two runways below you to choose from as well. Take the north-south runway if you have the choice, he's a United captain and you might get a LOR out of it someday. :)

(oh God, you flew home in the dark over those things?! Super hero status in my small mind!)

It was actually a sunrise, not sunset, so plenty of daylight left to fly home! The clouds were in the process of breaking up that day too, and I did all the climbing over the valley, not the mountains (there are also airport options on both sides of the Teton Crest - Driggs and Jackson).

Still, it's definitely a good lesson in mountain respect to get in the downdrafts on the lee side of the range and be in a 500-1000 fpm descent at full power & Vy in a 180hp Skyhawk!

It was actually a sunrise, not sunset, so plenty of daylight left to fly home! The clouds were in the process of breaking up that day too, and I did all the climbing over the valley, not the mountains (there are also airport options on both sides of the Teton Crest - Driggs and Jackson).

Still, it's definitely a good lesson in mountain respect to get in the downdrafts on the lee side of the range and be in a 500-1000 fpm descent at full power & Vy in a 180hp Skyhawk!
It is shocking how risk averse I have become. I used to take instrument students out in 400' OVC in steam gage 4 cylinder airplanes.
I took pre-solo students to Clearview in MD and sat with my hands folded in my lap while they landed.
What happen to me? Crap, I think I'm getting old. (and I like golf now, too)

Back