Terminal...Where is everyone going?

I was assigned NorCal Tracon. I was hoping for something that wasn't a level 12 as all controller's I've heard and spoken to advise not to start at anything above a 10. Unfortunately, I have to take anything offered as I am turning 31 in a couple months and don't have the luxury of turning the location down and be thrown back in the pile.

Awww, you went to Dematha!!!! You SUCK! Go Carroll!!!

Oh, I got placed at the Potomac Tracon. Before I do a google map on it, does anyone know the commute from there to DC?

I'm happy. Level 12, here I come!

PCT is located in Warrenton VA it's about an hour west of Washington DC (on a good day) it can take around 90 minutes with traffic

Awww, you went to Dematha!!!! You SUCK! Go Carroll!!!

Oh, I got placed at the Potomac Tracon. Before I do a google map on it, does anyone know the commute from there to DC?

I'm happy. Level 12, here I come!

kp52, you're not going to believe this, but I went to Carroll. Class of 1998. I was going to reply to the Stag Man :)D) but you beat me to it. A small world indeed. What year did you graduate?

Ill refrain from posting any WCAC standings for the past few decades haha :whatever:

I think after OKC im looking into moving to the centreville / chantilly area, it seems like a happy medium between Warrenton, and DC. It's kind of a catch 22, I don't know how i'd like Warrenton, its kind of in the middle of nowhere, yet living to close to DC would be hell for a commute.

Haha i was a bay area local so i was happy to stay in the bAY.

Wher is HCF congrats too! :nana2:

Congrats to you too! :D

I just moved from the Bay. I miss it already though! I was based out there for about 10 years.

HCF---Honolulu Control Facility

Ill refrain from posting any WCAC standings for the past few decades haha :whatever:

I think after OKC im looking into moving to the centreville / chantilly area, it seems like a happy medium between Warrenton, and DC. It's kind of a catch 22, I don't know how i'd like Warrenton, its kind of in the middle of nowhere, yet living to close to DC would be hell for a commute.

LOL! No argument from me on the WCAC standings. The Lions have lost their roar. I hear Warrenton is really nice and quiet. Either way, you should be in a good location. Good luck with everything.

Charlotte (CLT) tower.

Aug 26 (hopefully).

I thought the last year was bad sitting on the edge of my seat. No one told me about that fun little waiting period between the TOL and FOL...

Charlotte (CLT) tower.

Aug 26 (hopefully).

I thought the last year was bad sitting on the edge of my seat. No one told me about that fun little waiting period between the TOL and FOL...

I honestly think the wait period between the TOL and FOL is worse, so close but potentially so far away. I have a tentative date for Aug 26th as well, and was told to call HR July 30, if i had not received a FOL by that time. 16 days remaining. :banghead:

I don't care what the standings say......Go green and Gold

Oh, I'm the class of 2000. So you probably know me. I was number 52 on the football team, and everyone called me Kp.

I'm a little worried because I checked yes on one of the medical questions and now it's going to cost me $200 to get it cleared up. I wish it was in m nature to lie, but I believe in Karma.

I don't care what the standings say......Go green and Gold

Oh, I'm the class of 2000. So you probably know me. I was number 52 on the football team, and everyone called me Kp.

I'm a little worried because I checked yes on one of the medical questions and now it's going to cost me $200 to get it cleared up. I wish it was in m nature to lie, but I believe in Karma.

Kp, I'm going to send you a private message. I think I remember, but cannot. Anyhow, good not to lie b/c it probably would have come back on you. Hang in there.

Question for you guys going to a tower, did you get what you asked for, or was it just kind of luck of the draw?

My wife and I have been having discussions about what we're going to do if I get selected and I'd prefer a couple of towers within our general vicinity rather than getting one of the "You've been selected for a terminal position in (fill in the state name)" letters. The prospect of getting assigned someplace out in the middle of nowhere or more than a two hour drive from family is making my wife a little nervous.

Question for you guys going to a tower, did you get what you asked for, or was it just kind of luck of the draw?

My wife and I have been having discussions about what we're going to do if I get selected and I'd prefer a couple of towers within our general vicinity rather than getting one of the "You've been selected for a terminal position in (fill in the state name)" letters. The prospect of getting assigned someplace out in the middle of nowhere or more than a two hour drive from family is making my wife a little nervous.

Well I don't think you can avoid getting one of those letters unless you're not selected and I don't think you want that either. You find out exactly where you're going at your PEPC (don't know when that happens if you go non-PEPC route)... but either way, you'll first have to deal with receiving the "You've been selected for a terminal position in [state]" letter.

It may be different now, or for OTS guys ( I was CTI), but I got a letter saying pick between one and five states, no choice on term. or en route.

It may be different now, or for OTS guys ( I was CTI), but I got a letter saying pick between one and five states, no choice on term. or en route.

It's different... for OTS, we get to pick 2 states and whether we want to be considered for terminal, enroute, or both. I believe CTI guys still get 5 states.

Hopefully this will give you some sort of comfort but my wife was selected for Terminal VA and she had put down a "remark" for IAD/DCA. When she went to her PEPC she was givin ROA, the closest FAA control tower to where we live currently. I'm not saying it happens that way for everyone but I have seen it go that way for some others as well. good luck!

I am going to PCT as well. I own a house in Fredericksburg, Va so I will just commute. If Potomac was actually in Warrenton as opposed to the horse country north of there(It is actually in "Vint Hill", it just a Warrenton postal code) it would be about a 45 min drive as opposed to the 60-70 min drive it really is. Real problem with living closer to DC is expenses go up exponentially. The way I look at it is I only need to go to DC once every 2 months or so. The whole Northern VA area is built up so unless your really into the DC club scene there is no real need to live closer to it. I would suggest going west of Warrenton or south to somewhere like Culpeper as long as you can tolerate some rednecks.

Back