Terminal/Center, What made you decide?

drumpet

Just curious what everyone's reasoning was for selecting terminal/center. For me, used to hang out the airport when I was little and love watching the planes. Going to request an ATCT or an up/down.

I didn't even know you had a choice. Personally I would like to work at the Los Angeles ARTCC, but it looks to be pretty well staffed. If I wind up at a tower somewhere or in the High Desert Tracon, is it possible for me to transfer later, or am I stuck in whichever place I start in. I .E. Is it easy to transfer from Tracon to Tracon? Is it possible to transfer from Tracon to ARTCC? If so is your pay affected when you do? Do you have to go through more training? Just curious.

I chose Terminal only and was selected for a Terminal position somewhere in Florida. The main reason was that I wanted to stay in Florida and the only two here are in Jax and Miami, and I wasn't wild about going to either of those. Also, I like being able to see my work

I put both on my app but put OK as my first state which only has terminals and that is what I got.... I'm happy.

I chose both to improve my chances of staying in Atlanta. I would have preferred Tower so I could be in the middle of the action, but I'm used to getting the broad overall view of an operation so en route is right up my alley too.

sitting in a dark room, far seperated from anywhere the one actually sees airplanes does not appeal to me. and the fact that i took a non-radar class during my CTI venture, and that just plain sucks

Because of my former job, you never know when you might find yourself in a revenge-fueled firefight. A lot of people are either dead or rotting in prison because of me. With the dark open environment of an ARTCC, I have a better chance of escaping alive in case one of those thugs ever comes looking for trouble. In a tower, I don't have as many options for escape.

Because of my former job, you never know when you might find yourself in a revenge-fueled firefight. A lot of people are either dead or rotting in prison because of me. With the dark open environment of an ARTCC, I have a better chance of escaping alive in case one of those thugs ever comes looking for trouble. In a tower, I don't have as many options for escape.
:yup: that's funny

I used to watch planes at San Francisco when I was a kid... so something about being in a dark room staring at radar blips is just not very appealing

However, I can get bored with things that aren't challenging, so the complexity of tracon is potentially appealing

Note though: What if you want to work a tower, and choose 'terminal', but end up in a TRACON? Will you still be okay with that?

I didn't even know you had a choice. Personally I would like to work at the Los Angeles ARTCC, but it looks to be pretty well staffed. If I wind up at a tower somewhere or in the High Desert Tracon, is it possible for me to transfer later, or am I stuck in whichever place I start in. I .E. Is it easy to transfer from Tracon to Tracon? Is it possible to transfer from Tracon to ARTCC? If so is your pay affected when you do? Do you have to go through more training? Just curious.

If you want ZLA, you will get ZLA. My girlfriend worked there but had to come back to the NW for family reasons. They are rediculously understaffed.

I chose terminal because you can pretty much work anywhere you want and have lots of options. If you go to an up/down then you can also go to a tracon if you so chose. I also like being able to watch the planes.

If you want ZLA, you will get ZLA. My girlfriend worked there but had to come back to the NW for family reasons. They are rediculously understaffed.

What's the abbreviation ZLA mean?

It would totally be my dream to work LAX tower, is that ZLA?

i Used To Watch Planes At San Francisco When I Was A Kid... So Something About Being In A Dark Room Staring At Radar Blips Is Just Not Very Appealing

However, I Can Get Bored With Things That Aren't Challenging, So The Complexity Of Tracon Is Potentially Appealing

Note Though: What If You Want To Work A Tower, And Choose 'terminal', But End Up In A Tracon? Will You Still Be Okay With That?

TRACON IS A Terminal Position

That is good to know. Thank you. I want to go there because it is within driving distance of the house I have now, and with the housing market I don't think I would be able to sell it right now.:banghead:

Bigey:

ZLA is the abbreviation for the Los Angeles ARTCC. It isn't actually in LA though, or even really close. It is actually in L.A. County but way out in the High Desert.:D

That is good to know. Thank you. I want to go there because it is within driving distance of the house I have now, and with the housing market I don't think I would be able to sell it right now.:banghead:

Bigey:

ZLA is the abbreviation for the Los Angeles ARTCC. It isn't actually in LA though, or even really close. It is actually in L.A. County but way out in the High Desert.:D

Ahh i see!

Is it likely to get a tower position? Or should i say a Terminal position?

Back