Teamsters beats ALPA to LGA

SmitteyB

Teamsters lanyards are being seen more and more around LGA.

The Charlottesville crew were wearing them proud this morning and even told my captain and I that we "better not wear that • around here anymore" (that being our ALPA lanyard).

Colgan guys, the flight was 4850 from CHO to LGA on 09SEP08 if you want to look up who it was on CrewTrac. It was both the CA and FO. (The FO is a notorious toolbag).

OC Members- when is a LGA educational event planned?

The Charlottesville crew were wearing them proud this morning and even told my captain and I that we "better not wear that • around here anymore" (that being our ALPA lanyard).

Colgan guys, the flight was 4850 from CHO to LGA on 09SEP08 if you want to look up who it was on CrewTrac. It was both the CA and FO. (The FO is a notorious toolbag).

Yea, I flew with the CA in question. I pretty much could have called it prior to seeing it. I flew with this particular CA once and he said "Ill settle for Teamsters, but if ALPA is voted in, Im quitting."

I wore my ALPA lanyard proud when I flew with him.

At IAD no one has a Teamsters lanyard on, only ALPA.

Lol Teamsters. Great, well I hope you enjoy your TRUCKMASTERS pedigree. Morons.

lol. . .:rawk:

Unfortunately, there are some really good people at Colgan doing some amazing work. It'll be a shame if the work isn't completed and they manage to get the short bus union this go round. An absolute shame.

I know it'd be easier said than done, but I hope the good ones are able to either get ALPA, or after the IBT is in place; they find other employment.

Yea, I flew with the CA in question. I pretty much could have called it prior to seeing it. I flew with this particular CA once and he said "Ill settle for Teamsters, but if ALPA is voted in, Im quitting."

I wore my ALPA lanyard proud when I flew with him.

At IAD no one has a Teamsters lanyard on, only ALPA.

maybe if we're lucky he will quit.

What do they know? Why did they say they wanted teamstas?

What an ahole. That captain has his head so far up his butt, he doesn't even have a clue. I don't know the FO in question though.

A month or so ago, he (CA) had a run in w/ the CP........I happened to plane swap with him the day before his carpet dance and asked him about ALPA and the need for representation. He didn't want to hear any of it. OH MAN, I sooo wish I was still flying into LGA to flaunt my ALPA stuff. He can kiss off.

No worries Smittey......continue to fight the good fight. It'll work out for us in the end. A couple know-nothings supporting the IBT shouldn't be able to influence the entire pilot group. Provided we continue to educate on the benifits of ALPA versus the poor support of the IBT, we will prevail.

Oh, and another thing. I've managed to collect a bunch of ALPA cards out here in the schoolhouse. A couple IBT converts (I helped them to see the light). Yeah, momentum is shifting favorably!!!

That captain has been like that for three years, 'threating to quit' numerous times.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard him say he was 'going to quit' because of being extended, the plane being broke, etc., I would be retired by now.

What an ahole. That captain has his head so far up his butt, he doesn't even have a clue. I don't know the FO in question though.

A month or so ago, he (CA) had a run in w/ the CP........I happened to plane swap with him the day before his carpet dance and asked him about ALPA and the need for representation. He didn't want to hear any of it. OH MAN, I sooo wish I was still flying into LGA to flaunt my ALPA stuff. He can kiss off.

The FAA guy that looks over Colgan even emailed him and the CA was right for what he did, and Colgan was wrong. The funny part though is that if ALPA was on property he wouldnt have had to do a carpet dance. He just would have had to call up the union and they would have quickly had the situation sorted out. In fact, I dont think Colgan would even try to do what they did.

Forgot to mention a run in I had with the Captain in question that shows his true character. I was dating my ex girlfriend in Chicago and was TDYed in SHD. Because of the fact that I was traveling 'on my own outside of base' I was responsible for getting myself to SHD to work in the morning.

Well I left at 11AM trying to get to IAD to get the last flight to SHD that left around 9:00 PM. Because this was the 'get home' leg and it was booked, at times to 1 or 2 people it was common to blast off around 8:30 PMish for the short flight. If I didn't make that 9:00 PM I was looking at a $250.00 rent a car bill

The flights to IAD where full and this was preCASS at Colgan. I went to PIT then was going to jump down to IAD. The flight from PIT to IAD was delayed and I was worried that he would leave early to SHD. So I called him, left him a message (he recently upgraded), told him what flight I was on, and asked him if he can 'watch out for me.'

Thankfully, the flight from PIT to IAD landed at 8:20 PM and I ran over to the gate where I find the Captain steaming mad. He started using four letter profanity and said something like... 'Who the bleep am I to call his cell and use his minutes to bleeping ask him, the Captain, if I as a bleeping First Officer, to bleeping hold the bleeping flight, etc...'

I let this guy go off a few minutes, then I reminded him that legally we can only leave ten early and he better enjoy his short flying career before he medicals out because of high blood pressure.

What an idiot. I wish people like this would do us all a favor and just stop coming to work. :whatever:

The FAA guy that looks over Colgan even emailed him and the CA was right for what he did, and Colgan was wrong. The funny part though is that if ALPA was on property he wouldnt have had to do a carpet dance. He just would have had to call up the union and they would have quickly had the situation sorted out. In fact, I dont think Colgan would even try to do what they did.

Yep, I know this time the CA was right. However, like you said, wouldn't it be nice to know someone has your back when you stand up to the company. It baffles me. Oh well, I'm certain he'll get his some day.

Lol, after Seggy's story I'm pretty sure I know the captain too.

Too bad, I thought he'd learned his lesson after MM reamed him out for not voting last election. I tried talking to him but it wasn't much good, but we talked about guns and hunting for a couple hours.

Someone needs to have MM call him up on the cell phone and straighten him out again.

Yep, I know this time the CA was right. However, like you said, wouldn't it be nice to know someone has your back when you stand up to the company. It baffles me. Oh well, I'm certain he'll get his some day.

Wouldn't it be nice to not worry about getting yelled at for aborting when the autofeather fails at 65kts on T/O, and then returning to gate when it won't turn on at all? All b/c the D.O.C of the day decides that the plane would have flown?

And then further getting yelled at for refusing to run it, with the powerlevers beyond 60 Deg. at the gate? saying that it would only be done on a runway, but somehow through the wonderfull channel of communication, MX decided that the CA won't fly unless the plane does a high speed?

Have you ever felt the need to record all calls with the company for yourself?

How about when they jack with your schedule, and you call them on it, they lock you out of crew track so you can't look at it to tell them why you are not legal for the pairing?

Or how bout, worked an 18.5 hour day... and been paid for 4 hours... even when exteneded b/c the reserve CA didn't answer his phone?

Been told to "DMI" something that you are pretty sure can't be DMI'd? (for 1 leg, to be fixed as soon as it gets to ewr/lga/bos/alb?)

Yelled at for not flying an airplane with an airworthyness sign off that's 17 days old, when others had - because the recent one wasn't in the "Book"... faxed a signed work sheet, and told that was good enough?

Given a missed trip for a pairing you were never notified about?

Being told you have a "rep" for writting stuff up... and that makes you look bad.

Having senior gate agents decide to assign delays to you, because you pissed them off with a write up?

Or when station personel who are weather observers call the weather at minimums for landing... when it's not. Or call snow depths at 1 inch ish... cause you can't land at more then that. then when you ask, saying, well it really started to snow in the last 5 minutes (4in?)

Best of all, knowing that the company's got yuor back, when the faa calls about any of the above:rolleyes:

Working for Colgan ..........................21 bucks an hour
Doing what you can to help out......... Free
Loosing your ticket cause you
were lied to, tricked, called out,
yelled at, threatened........................Priceless

What do they know? Why did they say they wanted teamstas?

B/c they're cheaper, of course!

I think the fact that people currently at an airline represented by the Teamsters have spoken up in this thread against them speaks volumes.....

My first encounter with the company Union reps here at my present company included a little story.

It involved a crew that landed their aircraft and then rolled off the runway. Whatever the circumstances were, I don't recall.

What I *do* recall is what they said the 'company' said. They said the crew landed beyond the touchdown zone and was going (or already had) to have the crew fired.

The Union pulled the GPS data from the FDR. Turns out, the aircraft DID land within the touchdown zone. A mechanical malfunction prevented normal stopping distances.

Because of the efforts of the Union, the crew was exonerated and kept their jobs.

If you don't have a Union to back you up... who will?

The risks involved in a flying career are numerous enough without your employer routinely attempting to throw you under the bus.

Vote ALPA, everybody. You'll be glad you did.

Seggy, want me to put some in the LGA crewroom? :p I have 2 or 3 days in and out of there next few days. :)

Back