Teamsters beats ALPA to LGA

Ive got the lanyard on now, seen a few floating around EWR. The RCP told an FO to take his off though and use the colgan approved lanyard. Anyone have anything good to say if told by company to take it off? It is not an authorized lanyard according to our uniform standards but what are you guys saying?

I think strength in numbers is the best bet. If everyone is wearing one it will be harder to pick just one to single out.

Ive got the lanyard on now, seen a few floating around EWR. The RCP told an FO to take his off though and use the colgan approved lanyard. Anyone have anything good to say if told by company to take it off? It is not an authorized lanyard according to our uniform standards but what are you guys saying?

I think strength in numbers is the best bet. If everyone is wearing one it will be harder to pick just one to single out.

don't resist. just comply. turn your lanyard inside out. everyone will still know it is an alpa lanyard and it will comply with uniform code.

They tell to take ALPA lanyards off yet let other lanyards ranging from sports teams, charities, schools, american flags etc etc be worn that are CLEARLY not part of the code. The uniform policy argument is weak sauce.

But still, just comply

Force in numbers.

If they wanna fire someone for wearing an ALPA lanyard, 50+ need to show up asking to be fired.

A lawsuit against them for disturbing the abilities of an employee group to organize is an easy case to win.

If you're asked to remove your lanyard, ask them why people with other lanyards aren't being asked to remove them. If they still insist on you removing them, then let them know that you're going to file a complaint with human resources for discriminatory practice and hostile work environment. If the guy asking you to remove it isn't a complete dolt, then he'll back down at that point. If he is a complete dolt, then talk to ALPA about how to get the lawsuit started to force these people to comply with the law.

A lawsuit against them for disturbing the abilities of an employee group to organize is an easy case to win.

That's kinda what I was thinking. It's illegal for them to have you take down posters and literature during a union drive, so I would think that would extend to lanyards as well. Sounds to me like an overzealous management type that doesn't know how close he's getting to putting the whole company in hot water....

That's kinda what I was thinking. It's illegal for them to have you take down posters and literature during a union drive, so I would think that would extend to lanyards as well. Sounds to me like an overzealous management type that doesn't know how close he's getting to putting the whole company in hot water....

That may be, but our ops specifically says that the lanyards have to be company approved. In fact, we have a union board in the crew room, but it's only for posting stuff about the flight attendant's union crap. lame.

That may be, but our ops specifically says that the lanyards have to be company approved.

Doesn't matter. Skywest had the same policy. What matters is discriminatory practice. If they exercise selective enforcement, only targeting the people with ALPA lanyards, then it's illegal. They have to make a full-fledged effort to stop all non-standard lanyards. That's the only way that Delta was able to get away with the no ALPA lanyard policy. If they allow even one other person to have a different lanyard, then their policy is discriminatory and illegal. They either enforce the policy against everyone, or they don't enforce it at all.

In fact, we have a union board in the crew room, but it's only for posting stuff about the flight attendant's union crap. lame.

The FAs are perfectly within their rights to show support for another labor group. The OC should talk with the USW reps to see if they'll allow you to post some info on their bulletin board. The company can't stop it.

Doesn't matter. Skywest had the same policy. What matters is discriminatory practice. If they exercise selective enforcement, only targeting the people with ALPA lanyards, then it's illegal. They have to make a full-fledged effort to stop all non-standard lanyards. That's the only way that Delta was able to get away with the no ALPA lanyard policy. If they allow even one other person to have a different lanyard, then their policy is discriminatory and illegal. They either enforce the policy against everyone, or they don't enforce it at all.

The FAs are perfectly within their rights to show support for another labor group. The OC should talk with the USW reps to see if they'll allow you to post some info on their bulletin board. The company can't stop it.

Your right about the lanyard thing, and they definitely don't enforce it to anything but alpa lanyards. I see all kinds of college ones, flight safety, etc.

That's actually a good idea about the USW board, I'll pass that along. I know that all of the cards/pamphlets that we put out do get thrown away.

The RCP said he is going to talk to a lawyer because he is tired of all the alpa stickers and things.

I don't remember any issues last year with us wearing lanyards- what has changed? Is someone just nitpickin?

As per ALPA legal, this is what they want us to do.

A) If a chief pilot/manager/etc tells you to take off the lanyard do so. Tell them you disagree and if you can find someone who also might be wearing a lanyard that is not in our uniform code, ask about their lanyard. Note reaction.

B) Get the time, place, and date this incident took place.

C) Forward it to me.

Does't matter. Skywest had the same policy. What matters is discriminatory practice. If they exercise selective enforcement, only targeting the people with ALPA lanyards, then it's illegal.

I asked about this and I am 'happy' to report that there was some more stuff involved with the Skywest policy that caused the lawsuit.

Colgan management, up to this point, has been a little more lax. Honestly, I have zero desire to make this a pissing match over lanyards.

The RCP said he is going to talk to a lawyer because he is tired of all the alpa stickers and things.

I don't remember any issues last year with us wearing lanyards- what has changed? Is someone just nitpickin?

They are being told what is acceptable and not according to the company.

Bottom line is they are going to be writing a memo, that most likely will be out next week, that addresses this whole lanyard issue

As per ALPA legal, this is what they want us to do.

A) If a chief pilot/manager/etc tells you to take off the lanyard do so. Tell them you disagree and if you can find someone who also might be wearing a lanyard that is not in our uniform code, ask about their lanyard. Note reaction.

B) Get the time, place, and date this incident took place.

C) Forward it to me.

To add to part A: after disagreeing, and noting others who have 'alternate' lanyards. You should comply with the request. Simply turn the lanyard the other way (all navy side exposed).....if it turns around again later, so be it.

I asked about this and I am 'happy' to report that there was some more stuff involved with the Skywest policy that caused the lawsuit.

This is true. Skywest management was actually trying to stop us from standing outside the door to the crew lounge to talk to pilots as they walked in and out. It wasn't even Skywest property. There were many other issues, also. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad at CJC this time around.

To be perfectly honest, the RCP has a TON of loyalty towards Colgan, and for very good reason. They really did right by him. I am not saying he's a "company man" just that, if i had been in his position, i would be thankfull as well.

There are a bunch of employee's here that Colgan "saved" this was also when they were a family company.

He has been more proactive in keeping everybody up to speed than any of the other guys. It may be a PITA to keep getting all the memos, but i would rather be in the know.

It is 100% understandable that he would do as he was told to do. Dress code policy, manual checks etc. It's all part of his job, and I am sure he would rather not have to deal with it.

Everybody can wear APLA underware if they feel the need to advertise with clothing. a lanyard never convinced me to do anything, and i always felt that most people wore it as means to gain respect amongst their fellow pilots. I am very strongly a supporter of alpa, but i still wear my Colgan lanyard. I work for this company, i have pride in what i do, and they pay my paycheck. I would never hide who i work for. If you ask me what i think about alpa, IBT etc... in real life i won't force my views upon anybody.

Alpa, IBT, or none is a desession everybody has to make on their own. I will not try to tell you what to do.

But, if you are a no voter, and i find out, i will Break every airplane i am supposed to hand off to you:nana2: Nothin like droppin a rotten egg off to somebody else ;)

I was the one asked to remove my Lanyard. I didn't argue about it and I turned it inside out right there. I didn't want to start a issue in the jet way so I let it go.

If they only want us to wear colgan ones thats fine by me, but why should be able to walk around wearing any lanyard I see fit if they will allow others to wear sports teams and such. I think I'll just get a Pittsburgh Steelers one and see if anyone ever says anythign to me about it, because most know you don't mess with a steeler fan!!!!

Back