Tax Question and any expert opinions

mjg407

I've read some of the earlier posts about tax deductions and flight training expenses and I've gone back and forth with my accountant on the issue. Here's the earlier post I read:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/59842-write-off-flight-school-expenses.html

My current employer made it a condition of my employment that I qualify as a CFI after being hired, mostly because they require me to be the PPE for the company and the FSDO required that the PPE be at least a CFI-M. I understand that by now being a CFI the IRS looks at this as opening up a new career field, but wasn't that part of the conditions of my hiring? :banghead: Any help or advice anyone here has is welcome.

That's tough. My accountant said CFI was not (new career field) but CFII and MEI were (as long as they weren't initials of course).

I'll go with it should be because it was a condition of your employment, but might be tough to get by an audit.

I am not a tax advisor by any means, but I've been down this road a bit. The IRS reg is pretty clear-cut (if I recall) that anything your employer requires you to spend money on as a condition of employment does have some tax-deduction capability attached to it.

Yeah, that's the problem. I know that it doesn't count, but being a Military Instructor should have mattered. Good news is that I'm using my Cheetah for my CFII and I know that is deductible. Thanks for your answer.

I am not a tax advisor by any means, but I've been down this road a bit. The IRS reg is pretty clear-cut (if I recall) that anything your employer requires you to spend money on as a condition of employment does have some tax-deduction capability attached to it.
Thanks, I'm also seeing if I can get a letter from our POI at the FSDO stating I had to be a CFI prior to them issuing me a PPE. :rolleyes:

Back