Taking Commercial and FIA at the same time?

henryqs1

Taking Commercial and FIA test at the same time?

Hi Everyone,

Is the commercial written similar to FIA questions like IRA is to CFII? I know FIA test has about 250 more questions. Should I take both at the same time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Henry

Here is my .02 but I'm sure you will get differing opinions.
As you have already pointed out there are more questions on the FIA that are not in the Commercial test bank. You really need to decide if you would be okay with just passing it with a 70% and walking in and showing that to a Fed on your CFI ride. There is no sign off required to take the FIA the first time so you are perfectly legal to do so. Next you sort of lock yourself into getting your CFI within that two year time period. Two years is way more than enough time to get it done but things happen so you may wanna make sure you won't take an extended break from/Quit flying. I don't know how much written tests are where you live but around here they are pretty much $100 everywhere. You are correct that the commercial and FIA writtens are somewhat similiar tests. But then begs the question that you may wanna get your AGI which has the EXACT same questions except for 12 more. The last thing that comes to my mind is that the CFI requires SO much study that going through written test questions complements your study skills nicely.

Side note, my friend took his CFII written the same day as his Instrument and took and passed his CFII ride the day the written expired. Admitedly before he was truely ready.

My opinion... Just wait.

FIA is just commercial on steroids. Study for it and then just take the test. I always tried to get as high as I could just in case the examiner cared but they never looked at the score.

FIA is just commercial on steroids. Study for it and then just take the test. I always tried to get as high as I could just in case the examiner cared but they never looked at the score.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

I went in thinking that the FIA was the same test as the Commercial and I failed the FIA written the first time.

After I went and studied for a few hours I came back with a 96%

They are just different enough.

Back