Switching from rotor to planks...

scottyboy75

Anyone have any recent experience doing it? I have turned rotors in about 2 years and looking at getting back into the life but a 2 week on 2 week off schedule would stress my new marriage. Thoughts???

Anyone have any recent experience doing it? I have turned rotors in about 2 years and looking at getting back into the life but a 2 week on 2 week off schedule would stress my new marriage. Thoughts???

I'm just a "plank" pilot, but if you have the time for EMS, I'd recommend it highly. Even for your "7 on" you sleep in your own bed every night. If EMS strains your marriage, well, any other kind of flying will be worse.

I thought about building some more time for HEMS but having been a medic and a nurse for the last 20 years looking to stay away from "medical" people. My wife would be okay for me to be away but I am just nervous because of what I call PTRD (post traumatic relationship disorder) from my first marriage.
Mainly I am looking for experiences from Helo guys that got the add on and what pitfalls they had to watch out for. I know for a fact you have to pay dues to get a decent schedule. I did it in the rotor world and don't mind doing it again. I just know that flying an R44 is completely different than flying a 172 so any pointers that help in the transition would be nice.

Last edited:
I thought about building some more time for HEMS but having been a medic and a nurse for the last 20 years looking to stay away from "medical" people. My wife would be okay for me to be away but I am just nervous because of what I call PTRD (post traumatic relationship disorder) from my first marriage.
Mainly I am looking for experiences from Helo guys that got the add on and what pitfalls they had to watch out for. I know for a fact you have to pay dues to get a decent schedule. I did it in the rotor world and don't mind doing it again. I just know that flying an R44 is completely different than flying a 172 so any pointers that help in the transition would be nice.

I think you know I did the rotor to FW thing (and then back again). I found the transition pretty easy and that there are plenty of similarities between rotary and fixed wing flying. You already know the hard stuff so essentially you're just learning a new machine. The biggest pitfall I encountered was educating my instructor on what the requirements were to make the transition.

What Ian wrote...and don't try to hover the 172. ;)
This! My first FW approach was ugly! The sight picture is different but the transition was smooth (I soloed with 3.5hrs FW time and I'm no Yeager).
Can't stress enough checking the FARs first, there is a lot of confusion as to what is required for the transition.

As far as jobs go, some FW operators won't consider RW time; it's the way things go sometimes. @Boris Badenov gave great advise. I loved my time as an EMS pilot; there was planty of flying and plenty of time with my family. You might want to "stay away from med people" but you would be in the picture as a pilot so the perspective might give you pause.

I am a commercial-instrument helicopter pilot looking to get my stuck/starched/fixed/plank-wing commercial add-on rating. I've already got my private ASEL, so I already meet the most of the aeronautical experience requirements.

I've done the vast majority of my flying in military helicopters; anyone with a similar background have any tips as to where to target my studies in order to ace the commercial oral exam? Obviously a deep knowledge of the FARs are going to be critical. I've heard the orals for add-ons typically are a lot shorter (in particular, COMM-SEL to COMM-MEL), but since this is a all new category getting added on, what can I expect?

Pilots are almost never involved in any medical drama. You might be trying to avoid that, but you were dealing with it as a medical person. We just drive the bus.

Or if I can co-opt a Pulp Fiction reference about my philosophy of med crew: "My name is Paul and that's between ya'll." (Thats not actually my name.)

I know this thread is a bit aged but the whole topic of FW v. RW has been on mind recently. I've been out of it for years but I took a peek recently and still don't see much movement in the low time helicopter industry, especially when compared to fixed wing. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some established schools that are flying all day long but the amount of students that get their CFI vs those that find the opportunity to work as one is frightening. I'm actually not sure how the current state of helicopter training isn't a pyramid scheme. The GI Bill guys are keeping it alive for now but where are they going to work when the supply of Veterans falls off? There aren't all those foreign funded ab-initio students like there are on the fixed wing side. Anyway, for me, the financial risk and uncertainty of pursuing helicopters again would irresponsible but I've got to admit that they are much more satisfying to fly.

Those EMS gigs sound great if you're already at 2000 hours, but if you've built up any sort of commitments in your life, it's difficult to imagine how you could keep up with them and build time to EMS minimums. Of course, the Regionals don't offer a great QOL either but at least I can see a path there that doesn't involve being a gypsy for 5 years. Maybe I'm looking at this from the "grass is greener" perspective but it seems like if you're a half competent fixed wing pilot, the job outlook is significantly better.

Again I know this is an old thread, but there were a lot of uncertainties and unanswered questions in previous posts. I'm a rotor guy in the ARNG and just got my CSEL add-on with Instrument rating done last week. Its really not a hard process, lots of time spent flying XC or in circles practicing the commercial maneuvers. Cost-wise it's not too bad if you can find a place with a 150/152 or similar inexpensive airplane to rent. Skill-wise I think it is easier to go from rotors to planks simply because you (probably) have a pretty soft control touch and it'll make flying the plane a breeze.

The most difficult thing about the transition is just learning not to slow down so much on approach and getting that darn angle/sight picture down for the plane. Other than that, it's a breeze.

Make sure you take a look at part 61 and read up on the required hours/experience before you start so you can make the most effective use of your time in the airplane.

As far as job prospects and employers counting your rotor time for their TT requirements, the answer is "it depends". I was offered a job during my CSEL training because of my low level experience and attitude/personality in the cockpit. You just have to find the right employer, after that first job its all gravy. Certainly easier to get that first job and build time in fixed wing than in rotor. 2,000 hours comes much quicker in airplanes and is softer on the wallet.

Back