SWA purchasing slots at LGA

This conversation is held on April 22, 2009.

"LaGuardia Ground, Southwest 422, Gate 22 request push."

"Southwest 423, La-Gwadia. hold the push, traffic inbound."

....approximately 34 seconds later...

"LaGuardia Ground, Southwest 422, our pushback crew doesn't see any inbound traffic....can we push?"

"Southwest 422, welcome to La-Gwadia. Here's how things work. I run the ground. I really don't care what your push crew sees or not. There is a plane coming inbound. If you block the alley, we'll be holding planes over allentown. I'll call you back when you can push."

....20 minutes elapsed...

"Southwest 422, La-gwadia ground, cleared to push"

<no response>

"Southwest 422, La-Gwadia ground...."

<WN> "Southwest 422, go ahead..."

"Southwest 422, most people don't get second chances here, so listen up in the future. You're cleared to push call ready to taxi"

....3 mins later after they're running....

Sqwaaackccckcckk.....blloocckckk....

"Aircraft calling La-Gwadia, standby....American 1441 you're cleared to taxi Alpha, Bravo, hold short of 4....I guess that was Southwest calling. You boys need to learn how things work here. Taxi Alpha, Zulu hold short of Bravo"

"Southwest 422, you want us Alpha, Zulu? Was there a runway change in progress? We were expecting 13."

"Southwest, Alpha, Zulu, short of Bravo. I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but here, you get in line just like everyone else...."

If you think it wouldn't go down like that, you've never been there...

Pointers for NYC airports:

a. Listen up.
b. Don't ask questions.
c. Don't ask "Say again?"
d. Comply the FIRST time.
e. Don't give "shout outs" over the frequency
f. Even if it seems nonsensical, there's a method to the madness.
g. No one cares how you feel.
h. DON'T COMPLAIN.

a. Listen up.
b. Don't ask questions.
h. DON'T COMPLAIN.

I love listening to JFK ground during:

international push
international arrival
any time the wx conditions drop.

Hurry up and wait.....

i did ioe out of lga. that was an eye opener! i did especially like the cuts we took in front of 15 planes and hear over the freq about not being fair they get cutsies.

I wouldnt worry too much. I doubt the devoted frequent domestic traveler out of LGA is going to trade in their precious miles to stand cattle call for an SWA flight that has a connection in BNA then one more in DEN before reaching their destination of LAS or LAX. That is if they dont overbook the flight making you sit standby for the next flight 3 hours later. Not that this has ever happened or ever will, Im just sayin. ;)

You would be surprised. In PHL, we have more and more business travelers saying adios to US Airways. They are flying SWA. There is no longer a cattle call and the service is much, much better. My wife's company has forbidden flights on US Airways unless approved as an extraordinary need. The approval can only come from the CEO! Their service is so poor. It makes me sad as I was once a part of a once proud organization at US Airways.

Come on guys, LGA is a complete ghost town now after the flight cuts. Up to a couple months ago it wasn't uncommon to be #40 to #60 in line. Now, we are often #3, #2, or even #1 for takeoff as soon as we leave the gate and start taxiing on Alpha or Bravo. We ALWAYS arrive way under block now on flights to and from LaGuardia (unfortunately) and we (unfortunately) can't make any money overblock... it's all underblock. Don't even pray for headwinds - even with those we still arrive a few minutes early.

We ALWAYS arrive way under block now on flights to and from LaGuardia (unfortunately) and we (unfortunately) can't make any money overblock... it's all underblock. Don't even pray for headwinds - even with those we still arrive a few minutes early.

Well you are getting paid for work you're not doing!

I don't know when you are in and out of LGA but last night at 7pm I was number 20 for takeoff.

a. Listen up.
b. Don't ask questions.
h. DON'T COMPLAIN.

See, controllers can work with pilots like this...

that being said, sitting in 9A on a E145 last week and being stuck on the ramp for 25 min because supposedly an Alitalia plane got lost taxxiing in EWR and screwed everything up, this line of thinking obviously hasn't reached the old world yet.

I don't know when you are in and out of LGA but last night at 7pm I was number 20 for takeoff.

I got in and out of LGA once.

Probably because scheduling and I were banking on delays to get me a hotel that night.... sure enough everything ran not on time but EARLY.

Murphy was working the Approach control that night.

Never before, never since. It was eerie. :)

Come on guys, LGA is a complete ghost town now after the flight cuts. Up to a couple months ago it wasn't uncommon to be #40 to #60 in line. Now, we are often #3, #2, or even #1 for takeoff as soon as we leave the gate and start taxiing on Alpha or Bravo. We ALWAYS arrive way under block now on flights to and from LaGuardia (unfortunately) and we (unfortunately) can't make any money overblock... it's all underblock. Don't even pray for headwinds - even with those we still arrive a few minutes early.

I agree.

I don't want Southwest anywhere near LGA, personally. Airways better sweep in and offer more for ATA.

You would be surprised. In PHL, we have more and more business travelers saying adios to US Airways. They are flying SWA. There is no longer a cattle call and the service is much, much better. My wife's company has forbidden flights on US Airways unless approved as an extraordinary need. The approval can only come from the CEO! Their service is so poor. It makes me sad as I was once a part of a once proud organization at US Airways.
I jumpseat PHL-RSW a lot. I used USAir ONCE and that was enough. The FA's were rude (not just to me, but many pax), and my knees were up against the seat in front of me (on a 737). And they charge for everything (snacks, soda!). I use SW all the time (a 737) and the seats are spaced with more leg room (not a ton, but more), the FA's are always nice, pilots are always friendly, and free snacks and drinks.
Sometimes at the end of a trip, I head from NY to PHL. I either use Delta from JFK or I head over to LGA and use USAir (AW, Colgan,...) I am actually more comfortable on a CRJ than one of the USAir 73's!
I never check a bag, but as most know, USAir baggage at PHL is the worst in the land.

Back