SWA Dispatchers picketing outside of DAL

Just because you have a good contract doesn’t mean you can’t picket. It’s one of many ways to bring the company to the table to negotiate for better.

I thought they had a good contract. I guess not

SWA Dispatchers
The bulk of their contract is 10 years old and going on 4 years expired. For the first time ever they are experiencing noticeable turnover with several dispatchers bailing to other airlines over the past couple years. Things are not good right now.

It’s crazy because when I first got into the industry SWA was the most coveted job in the dispatch world and my ultimate goal was to work there. I unsuccessfully applied a couple times and ultimately got a job elsewhere which I was initially disappointed by. But looking back I am much better off now in terms or pay and QOL than I would have been if I got SWA based on what I hear from friends there. Just goes to show how rapidly things change at the airlines.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want to come work here anymore other than "it's not a regional".

Signed-off dispatchers that were 2 or 3 steps up the payscale have gotten pay raises going to training pay at Delta recently. I'm sure we will be losing more to United as well now, with their new scale in place. The last 4 new-hire classes have all lost people to other majors. Heck, our class that started this week already had 3 people not show up. You can't really blame them for leaving when starting pay is just over $50k. Even Atlas starts higher than us now with their new contract.

Schedule is also the worst among the majors, with lineholders working more days per month than most regional dispatchers (albeit fewer hours, since our shifts are only 8 hours). And until you're out of the bottom 20% of the seniority list, you're considered a "reserve" dispatcher and your schedule is completely made up each month, up to 21 days scheduled per month. If the current hiring boom slows, junior dispatchers can expect to be on reserve for years. Something that AA and DL both abolished in their last contracts.

The people that work here are fantastic, and even most of our direct managers are pretty good people. But with the lack of progress in negotiations and the complete joke that our last TA was, I've come to find that the "LUV" culture is largely just a façade now. One doesn't have to dig very deep to find the company has open contracts with eight of their twelve union groups. A number of senior dispatchers have recently said this is the worst they've seen morale in 25+ years. It's sad to see us go from one of the best places to work to the laughingstock of the major airlines, but the company seemingly doesn't care as long as they can fill the desks and get releases sent out. But hey, at least they still let us wear shorts and flip-flops to work. /s

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The bulk of their contract is 10 years old and going on 4 years expired. For the first time ever they are experiencing noticeable turnover with several dispatchers bailing to other airlines over the past couple years. Things are not good right now.

It’s crazy because when I first got into the industry SWA was the most coveted job in the dispatch world and my ultimate goal was to work there. I unsuccessfully applied a couple times and ultimately got a job elsewhere which I was initially disappointed by. But looking back I am much better off now in terms or pay and QOL than I would have been if I got SWA based on what I hear from friends there. Just goes to show how rapidly things change at the airlines.
I thought the same when I first got into the industry. I hope they get it together and pay the dispatchers what they deserve

It may have seemed like the most coveted because the SWA hype runs deep. They did a great job marketing their LUVxFAM™ corporate culture. The overly positive tone from others seemed too koolaid-ish to me… This is probably why the sentiment is a bit of a joke now when considering the state of current contract negotiations. Prior to that, they were part of the 30-40k/year starting pay group with the rest of the LCCs. I hope the company can come back with a solid contract to retain talent, turnover can’t be good.

I’d like to say this, it’s truly odd and kind of funny at the same time.. I have friends who were hired in the first post Covid class, and they are both on totally different ends of the spectrum… one is upset with the lack of progress, and movement with the new contract and the TA/work sch and the other is still heads over heels with SW and how great it is, saying the pay is no biggie because the environment is the best of any airline…

I only bring this up, so that other dispatchers that are trying to get out of regionals, etc take what you hear from friends with a grain of salt. No airline is perfect, no airline is absolute trash.

I’d like to say this, it’s truly odd and kind of funny at the same time.. I have friends who were hired in the first post Covid class, and they are both on totally different ends of the spectrum… one is upset with the lack of progress, and movement with the new contract and the TA/work sch and the other is still heads over heels with SW and how great it is, saying the pay is no biggie because the environment is the best of any airline…

I only bring this up, so that other dispatchers that are trying to get out of regionals, etc take what you hear from friends with a grain of salt. No airline is perfect, no airline is absolute trash.

Agreed. Every company has their own up and downs inevitably, esp prior to any type of pay negotiations. There will be times where the EMPS are
head over-heels with the company and there will be times of disparity, ESP if youre in the industry for an elongated period of time.
Youre in the majors, trust long-term, the company will take care of you. It all also depends on your point of view. Some people carry negativity where-ever they go.
50k is indeed not preferred starting off your first handful of months, esp considering how expensive things are, but thats the point of negotiations . There are emps that are consistently, w/senority, making 180k without any OT.
Take everything you hear and see with a BIG grain of salt. Wages fluxuate often.
In all, if you’re considering where to go, just go to wherever you’ll be happy. Everyone has their reasons, whether for personal reasons or even if it puts you closer with family.

Last edited:

I admired WN for not furloughing anyone during 2020, but IIRC there was a new hire class that had all given their notices, moved to DAL, etc. that were then told the class wasn't happening (I think around March of 2020.) I don't blame WN for that *but* I heard that when they started hiring again, those people whose class was canceled weren't given automatic job offers for the new class, and had to reapply...I thought that was rather messed up on their part. I also found their system of working as an assistant for some indefinite period seemed odd...I suppose some people do need more training than others but it seemed rather open-ended. I do know several former co-workers that love working there, though, and I hope they are able to reach terms on a new industry leading contract soon!

I admired WN for not furloughing anyone during 2020, but IIRC there was a new hire class that had all given their notices, moved to DAL, etc. that were then told the class wasn't happening (I think around March of 2020.) I don't blame WN for that *but* I heard that when they started hiring again, those people whose class was canceled weren't given automatic job offers for the new class, and had to reapply...I thought that was rather messed up on their part. I also found their system of working as an assistant for some indefinite period seemed odd...I suppose some people do need more training than others but it seemed rather open-ended. I do know several former co-workers that love working there, though, and I hope they are able to reach terms on a new industry leading contract soon!

i do agree, it’s very strange the training style.. had 2 friends start same day at SW and AA, the AA guy Was fully upgrade 3 months ahead of SW (and people say the training process is long at AA). I also agree, SW did let go of the class that was about to start.. had a buddy in that class that had put in his 2 weeks and was lucky enough to keep his DX gig and pull back his 2 weeks. Just odd it seems to get overlooked that SW let those people go, yet the furloughs still got paid but hated on

I dont know enough about the airlines inners to add much, but I can say I understand the concerns due to them having low starting pay and the 6 day work week, plus long stints as assistants. It is a lot and could lean to burnout. I like swa and think they have a good thing going, still would like to be apart of the team someday. Sad to see it resort to this, never a good look. Hopefully they get things worked out soon. Dispatchers deserve the best too, we're essentially pilots on the ground (thats how I view dx) and vital to flight ops. Sooner mgmt realizes, the better. Happy dispatcher = happy NOC. Sending good wishes to their team.

Last edited:
Back