Survived (Solo X-Country)

Flight following is the shizznit! I absolutely love it.

Question:
Under flight following, while VFR, can I change altitude without ATC's permission if in Class E airpsace? I believe so (complying with altitude rules though), not that I would ever do it but just wanted to confirm it.

If you tell them you are staying at an altitude, they expect you to stay there as it was explained to me. I have always requested an altitude change and never been denied but it makes their life easier if they know what you are doing. They also have come on and told me, "No, aircraft between you and destination, cleared to descend, advise when airport in sight."

You can ask for a block of space though to do air work. I have never done it, but have heard it done. It sounded like "Request advisories 5-10 miles off the abc VOR between the 270 and 280 radials between 1000 and 4000 for air work"

Question:
Under flight following, while VFR, can I change altitude without ATC's permission if in Class E airpsace? I believe so (complying with altitude rules though), not that I would ever do it but just wanted to confirm it.

You don't have to tell them. I usually do out of common courtesy though. It's always good to let them know what you're doing. They usually will respond to this effect: "Roger Cessna XXXXX maintain VFR."

Enjoy that solo cross country! One day soon, all of your cross countries are going to have witnesses! :)

Thanks Doug and Paul.

To add to the flight following discussion. If flight following takes me all the way to when I have the airport in sight, when do I tune into the airport's frequency. For example, OBE (my destination) does not have a tower, so I used UNICOM when I was near it. Do I keep flight following on the main radio and monitor the airport's UNICOM?

You tell them when you see the airport.

"XX Center, Cessna x, has Okeechobee in sight"

they respond with something like

"squawk VFR, frequency changed approved" then you change to UNICOM.

Just a tip
Tune to the wx station at OBE before you get handed off and monitor UNICOM while still on Flight Following to get an idea of what runway everyone is using and traffic situation.

Flight following...lol.

Down here in Argentina we barely have radars, and none of them do flight following!
I often wonder how would it be to fly great distances without our beloved VOR and ADF's (and GPS by the way).
Anyway, I will always look forward to flying in the States someday.
cheers

Flight following...lol.

Down here in Argentina we barely have radars, and none of them do flight following!
just to make things clear on how flight following works. Radar does not do the flight following, the air traffic controller watching his radar scope watches (or "follows") your flight, and will (work permitting) give traffic advisories. (at least thats how it works in the states)

just to make things clear on how flight following works. Radar does not do the flight following, the air traffic controller watching his radar scope watches (or "follows") your flight, and will (work permitting) give traffic advisories. (at least thats how it works in the states)

Yes, you're right. That's what I wanted to say, I used "radar" as a general sustantive.

Back