Survived 1st solo X-country

troopernflight

Everything went well, and the weather was beautiful (besides the heat). Flight was from GMU to AHN to GRD and back. The only problem I had was after departing AHN when I tried to call FS I couldn't get through on the frequency I had written down. I got back on with Atlanta Center and got a different frequency from another pilot. Tried that one, and no luck. Called Center back again and asked them to relay to close my 1st flight plan, and open the new one. They were very helpful to say the least. Turns out that FS could hear me but I couldn't hear them. And yes, I did check volume and squelch. I didn't talk to my CFI about it when I got back since he was gone, so I might have been missing something. I guess I could say that if that was my biggest problem, then it went well. 3 hours of dual prep, and I should be close to taking my check ride (I'm in a 141 program). Wish me luck.

You are right, if that was your only problem, you're in good shape.

On my first solo X-country I forgot to raise the flaps after landing. The takeoff was scarey and strange until I figured out what I had done. My CFI was mostly annoyed that I hadn't used a checklist....

Everything went well, and the weather was beautiful (besides the heat). Flight was from GMU to AHN to GRD and back. The only problem I had was after departing AHN when I tried to call FS I couldn't get through on the frequency I had written down. I got back on with Atlanta Center and got a different frequency from another pilot. Tried that one, and no luck. Called Center back again and asked them to relay to close my 1st flight plan, and open the new one. They were very helpful to say the least. Turns out that FS could hear me but I couldn't hear them. And yes, I did check volume and squelch. I didn't talk to my CFI about it when I got back since he was gone, so I might have been missing something. I guess I could say that if that was my biggest problem, then it went well. 3 hours of dual prep, and I should be close to taking my check ride (I'm in a 141 program). Wish me luck.

Good job, sir. Sounds like it was a good flight.

Some of us got lost on our 1st solo XC flights. Glad you made it okay.

Curious - were you using the GPS in the plane or did you do it strictly pilotage? You fly a DA-20 right?

Good job, sir. Sounds like it was a good flight.

Some of us got lost on our 1st solo XC flights. Glad you made it okay.

Curious - were you using the GPS in the plane or did you do it strictly pilotage? You fly a DA-20 right?
I did use the GPS, but used it as a confirmation tool only. Basically, once on course I would refer to it to see how close I was. Other than that, I didn't do any "follow the line" flying. I found that using visual checkpoints is pretty darn accurate to keep you on course. Though I did notice that the winds aloft forcasts are NOT always accurate. Also did some duplexing at visual checkpoints as a backup. I'm learning as I go. I'm sure my navigation skills are pretty lacking at this point. Having the GPS on board certainly makes you feel a little more comfortable.

The FSS frequencies have been out for a few weeks now. We weren't even told. You would think that this would be something important for controllers to know.

On a happier note, my son x-county soloed for the first time today. 17 years old. Flew from FFC-MLJ-FFC. Everything went great. I went over to the TRACON and "followed" him:buck:

I been in Greenville since last night. Now I'm hanging around a FBO at GYH waiting to see where they'll be sending me next.:)

Though I did notice that the winds aloft forcasts are NOT always accurate.

Thats why its always good to do time, speed, distance, and fuel burn from point to point. Not only does it keep you on track, but it could help you adjust when needed.

The FSS frequencies have been out for a few weeks now. We weren't even told. You would think that this would be something important for controllers to know.

On a happier note, my son x-county soloed for the first time today. 17 years old. Flew from FFC-MLJ-FFC. Everything went great. I went over to the TRACON and "followed" him:buck:
Wow, that's quite some accomplishment for a 17 year old. I'm 31 and it was a challenge for me. Of course, my synapses are not firing as fast as they were when I was 17. :D
So, about FSS frequencies, was that the reason I was experiencing problems? I was trying 122.1/122.2 and 122.6. They could read me, but nothing on my end. I would like to know so if I was doing something wrong I will learn from it.
Thanks.

Wow, that's quite some accomplishment for a 17 year old. I'm 31 and it was a challenge for me. Of course, my synapses are not firing as fast as they were when I was 17. :D
So, about FSS frequencies, was that the reason I was experiencing problems? I was trying 122.1/122.2 and 122.6. They could read me, but nothing on my end. I would like to know so if I was doing something wrong I will learn from it.
Thanks.

Congrats on your first solo x/c:nana2:

About your FSS communications problems, its possible that you were supposed to transmit on one of those frequencies you listed above and actually listen over a VOR frequency. Was there an R next to one of those frequencies? If there was that means that they recieve your transmission over that frequency. Then if there is another frequency typically a VOR freq with a T next to it, that means you will need to listen over that one to hear flight service. You have probably been taught this and not sure if this was your problem but just throwing it out there. Good luck with the rest of your training.:)

So you only have to do one XC solo before your check? I know 141 is a bit different than pt 61, but I thought you had to do at least one more XC.

Congratulations on your first Xcountry you will remember these days forever, I remember my first solo XC in the busy LA area, in an old 172 with no gps. I purposely planed my flight so that I would be flying over freeways.:D That way I knew I wouldn't be lost and wonder into the LAX B airspace!!

Congrats on your first solo x/c:nana2:

About your FSS communications problems, its possible that you were supposed to transmit on one of those frequencies you listed above and actually listen over a VOR frequency. Was there an R next to one of those frequencies? If there was that means that they recieve your transmission over that frequency. Then if there is another frequency typically a VOR freq with a T next to it, that means you will need to listen over that one to hear flight service. You have probably been taught this and not sure if this was your problem but just throwing it out there. Good luck with the rest of your training.:)
That was probably my problem. I did notice that the frequency that a pilot gave me (122.6, see ATL sectional @ ATL) was for the ATL area. Being up near Athens I may not have been able to go that far. I'm sure I can confirm this with my CFI in the morning, so if the freq over the VOR 122.1R, means I transmit on that freq and then turn on the volume on the VOR nav freq to listen for the response?

I'm sure I can confirm this with my CFI in the morning, so if the freq over the VOR 122.1R, means I transmit on that freq and then turn on the volume on the VOR nav freq to listen for the response?

Correct, it took me a few cross countries to finally figure it out. My instructor told me me several times but I just didnt get it until I actaully experienced it.

Awesome job Dan! You really are getting this PPL out of the way in no time. Congrats. There really is nothing else to look forward to now other than your checkride. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad but it shows how fast you are doing all of this.

I was trying 122.1/122.2 and 122.6. They could read me, but nothing on my end. I would like to know so if I was doing something wrong I will learn from it.
Thanks.

Next time just give 121.5 a try. See if that helps. ;)

Congrats! I'm doing mine this Saturday (BCT-OBE-BCT) and I hope I make it to post a thread like yours afterwords.:D

Congrats on your first solo XC!! That is a very memorable day in my flying background. I had no problem with FSS, but did forget to close my flight plan. Man did I get an #$% chewin'!!! Felt like they smacked me around after they told me how much trouble they went through making sure I actually landed at BMI and I was lucky they didn't send up search and rescue. :drool: (Good thing I landed at a towered airport)
Funny story, on the way out I thought I blew ORD class Bravo and thought about it the entire trip. When I got back, my flight instructor said "No, if you would have blown their airspace, they would have shot you down." Had to love his sense of humor! :laff:

Back