Surgery next month

wainscottbl

I get a VNS implant next month to help control my seizures, even end them eventually, Lord willing. The risks are mild, and it is outpatient surgery. It is under general anesthesia, and the device is similar to a pacemaker, about the size of a half dollar. It is inserted in the chest, the right or left--whichever side the Vagus nerve is on. Then an incision is made in the beck and wire is run from the device up to the Vagus nerve. That simple. An hour or two. Here is video of some of it:

And if you have the stomach, what I might have to get eventually, brain surgery. I think it's pretty cool to watch, if you think that sort of stuff is interesting. It's rather amazing:

Anyway, I would appreciate prayers and thoughts. A bit scared, but it's worth it if it helps. Maybe I will be able to fly one day. At least to drive. Not driving really sucks. Really never know how much liberty it gives you until you can't drive.

Good luck to you.

My brother in law has an implant, but I think it's a different kind - his is in his neck, and when it's fighting off a seizure, you can tell because it alters the sound of his voice. If you didn't hear the change, you wouldn't even know it was working.

He's been without a seizure for around 7 or 8 years now, and I think he might actually get his driver's license back. Not sure, but there was some talk of that.

Anyway - I'm pullin' for you on the spiritual switchboard, as it were.

Good luck to you.

My brother in law has an implant, but I think it's a different kind - his is in his neck, and when it's fighting off a seizure, you can tell because it alters the sound of his voice. If you didn't hear the change, you wouldn't even know it was working.

Yeah, I am pretty sure it is the same thing. The actual implant is in the chest, though likely near the neck, but the Vagus nerve is in the neck, so they have to open it up. It can effect the voice though.

As for the driving thing, if he has been seizure free for 6-8 years he should be able to get them back. Most states it is only three months, and none much over that I am pretty sure. A few do not even have restrictions, and others have exception laws where it is so many months, but the law can be dispensed if the seizures are not convulsive or something like that I am guessing. Since i am moving to Utah (Mormonville) in the next couple years it looks like, I was wondering. Eventually might be in Nevada, and Oregon or somewhere else in the next five years, so I was looking at a few states. Utah is really going to stink, except for my sister and nieces (in my avatar) being there because their alcohol laws a stricter. But St. George is right on the Arizona border!

Back