Supplies

smokey1

For those of you who have started the program, what supplies did you purchase before you showed up? For example: Headsets, Logbooks etc.? Thanks. 1.
Smokey.................................................................

Just the stuff I had after my PPL training: Headset, kneeboard, coupl'a sectionals, loogbook, E-6B, plotter, flashlight (Maglight, but I recommend one of the new clustered-LED lights) and a 172 checklist that I never used as they insist that you use thiers.

[ QUOTE ]
Just the stuff I had after my PPL training: Headset, kneeboard, coupl'a sectionals, loogbook, E-6B, plotter, flashlight (Maglight, but I recommend one of the new clustered-LED lights) and a 172 checklist that I never used as they insist that you use thiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the sunglasses....

I'd have the typical assortment of stuff you would have for a PPL-plotters, books, logbook, headset, good flight bag. I've seen some people using a backpack as a flight bag, and I can't understand how they keep it organized. I'd suggest current charts, a comfortable view-limiting device, a good kneeboard, and a good flashlight(s). Also important is a good carryon-size suitcase for the XC phase. As far as living quarters, the apartments have a TV & VCR and single beds. I brought my laptop, books, sheets/towels, clothes, camera (35mm & digital) and a small stereo. You will be at your base for the first 5-6 weeks, but from there it's on the road and you'll be living out of the suitcase.

Thanks for all the great information.. I just have one question, what is a a comfortable view-limiting device? 1.
Smokey...........................

I prefer the hood, but will take the clouds over wearing anything! I have tried the foggles which I thought were extremely uncomfortable. I guess you have to try different ones and see what you like.

Hey Smokey !
I used to wear the Francis hood when I first started my instrument training, I didn't have one so my instructor let me use his. I eventually bought the Foggles, they're ok but I feel like the Francis Hood is a better trainer. You can't see anything except what's right in front of you. (I know... I know...you're not suppose too
grin.gif
) No peripheral vision at all. They definitely limit your viewing. Probably the best there is.... I think.

http://shopping.pilotportal.com/catalog/product.html?productid=1787

Dan

I like Jeppshades. Foggles are painful when the headset squeezes the temples into the head, which also compromises the seal integrity. Some headsets (like mine, the LS 3G-20) depend on a good seal. The Jeppshades have a neoprene band with velcro, and I wear them over the headset.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have the typical assortment of stuff you would have for a PPL-plotters, books, logbook, headset, good flight bag. I've seen some people using a backpack as a flight bag, and I can't understand how they keep it organized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did somebody say "good flight bag"?
grin.gif

I use a catalog case that I got from Office Depot for about 40 bucks. I've seen Prof. pilots use cases similar to this and they paid in the hundreds (I have seen these in pilot supply mags and websites).

The link below shows the one that I use...looks just like it..

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g10921.html

..hope the link works...

Dan

Yep, the Francis hood rocks. Not too big, not too small. It lifts easily when you need to remove it and is easy to put back on in the airplane.

Back