Sun Country

PGT

Anyone at Sun Country? Are the schedules still non-commuter friendly?

Anyone at Sun Country? Are the schedules still non-commuter friendly?

What does "non-commuter friendly" mean? Aren't all schedules more friendly to those that live in base?

Last edited:
What does "non-commuter friendly" mean? Aren't all schedules more friendly to those that live in base?

There are enormous differences between what could be commuter friendly and what commuters at SY are having to deal with. I'm not a commuter, so this is mainly just a repetition of what others have said, but having a mix of day turns and trips is not helpful. Having two days off between trip and getting worked until after the last flight out is gone is not helpful. Inability to effectively trade, manipulate, or improve schedules is not helpful. Lines that start at 94:55 credit with a bad trip rig is not helpful. Others could say a lot more, but those are just some of the issues that mean we still haven't turned the corner when it comes to attracting and keeping commuters.

We are currently staffed by locals and commuters who have enough seniority that it's pretty tough to walk away. When I fly with a first year FO who commutes I just assume I won't fly with the guy again before he gets another offer and leaves. And why not? If you are not local and don't have high seniority, why would you turn down an offer from a legacy and stay SY?

There are enormous differences between what could be commuter friendly and what commuters at SY are having to deal with. I'm not a commuter, so this is mainly just a repetition of what others have said, but having a mix of day turns and trips is not helpful. Having two days off between trip and getting worked until after the last flight out is gone is not helpful. Inability to effectively trade, manipulate, or improve schedules is not helpful. Lines that start at 94:55 credit with a bad trip rig is not helpful. Others could say a lot more, but those are just some of the issues that mean we still haven't turned the corner when it comes to attracting and keeping commuters.

We are currently staffed by locals and commuters who have enough seniority that it's pretty tough to walk away. When I fly with a first year FO who commutes I just assume I won't fly with the guy again before he gets another offer and leaves. And why not? If you are not local and don't have high seniority, why would you turn down an offer from a legacy and stay SY?

I think his point was about "non commuter" (in other words, people that live in base) friendly flying. We all know the trips that make a place "commuter friendly" (high credit, longer trips with late starts and early finishes, coupled with lots of morning and evening flights into the domicile on aircraft with multiple jumpseats). But what setup makes a place non commuter friendly... unless that is just another way of saying it's not friendly to commuters.

Yeah, sorry. Wasn’t trying to over complicate things.

Just thought non-commuter=live in base and thought maybe I was missing something.

Back