Student Pilot Certificate Question

Gary

Just a quick question from a new CFI...

I just got a new student that already had his student pilot certificate endorsed by a previous CFI for solo privilages. The question is...when I am comfortable sending him solo, do I need to endorse the certificate under the old CFI's endosement as well?

(n) Limitations on flight instructors authorizing solo flight. (1)
No instructor may authorize a student pilot to perform a solo flight
unless that instructor has--
(i) Given that student pilot training in the make and model of
aircraft or a similar make and model of aircraft in which the solo
flight is to be flown;
(ii) Determined the student pilot is proficient in the maneuvers and
procedures prescribed in this section;
(iii) Determined the student pilot is proficient in the make and
model of aircraft to be flown;
(iv) Ensured that the student pilot's certificate has been endorsed
by an instructor authorized to provide flight training for the specific
make and model aircraft to be flown; and
(v) Endorsed the student pilot's logbook for the specific make and
model aircraft to be flown, and that endorsement remains current for
solo flight privileges, provided an authorized instructor updates the
student's logbook every 90 days thereafter.

The question arises because the wording sounds like I would only need to make sure the certificate was endorsed by a CFI, even if it was not necessarily me. Problem is...unless I sit down with his previous instructor and go through his logbooks etc., how do I know the previous signature was infact "authorized" (i.e. appropriately rated and current...)?

The way that I read the regs and that I have always taught is that once their student pilot certificate has been endorsed for solo you don't touch it again until cross country or they need a new student pilot certificate. Make sure that the Student pilot certificate is current because they do expire! Other than that make sure they have been signed off for the 90 days and make and model of the aircraft that YOU are flying WITH that student and you should be fine. I cannot think of any reason why you should have to add your signature to the certificate...anybody else find a reason?

The way that I read the regs and that I have always taught is that once their student pilot certificate has been endorsed for solo you don't touch it again until cross country or they need a new student pilot certificate. Make sure that the Student pilot certificate is current because they do expire! Other than that make sure they have been signed off for the 90 days and make and model of the aircraft that YOU are flying WITH that student and you should be fine. I cannot think of any reason why you should have to add your signature to the certificate...anybody else find a reason?

I agree with this.

Correct. The student certificate signature is good forever for it's initial purpose of authorizing solo in a make/model.

Regulations call for a new endorsement every 90 days in the logbook.

Any new endorsements in same make/model should be 90 day endorsements in the logbook, ie., starting the 90 day clock over with a new instructor.

I had a colleague who had to send a letter to the FAA revoking a former students endorsements due to some major problems with the student. It was very bizarre!

I always re endorse students even if it isn't required. I figure I might was well assume the responsibility, I would appreciate the professional courtesy in return.

(2) An endorsement in the student's logbook for the specific make and model aircraft to be flown by an authorized instructor, who gave the training within the 90 days preceding the date of the flight.

I would just reendorse them. It would take 5 seconds after you judge that they are competent and lets say they get in an accident during solo and the feds ask to see his logbook. It would be easier just to do it and have it done but that’s just my opinion.

I re-endorsed a students medical after he switched from another flight school to ours and one of our local DPE's jumped my tail about it. I got a twenty minute lecture about how wrong I was and why I didn't need to do that so I don't any more. The only endorsement you need to update is the one in the students logbook.

Gary, I believe that once the solo flight is to be made in the same make and model for which the student was endoresed initially, everything should be fine. Of course, if you plan to solo him in a 172 for example, but he has a solo endorsement for a 150, then a new endoresement would be required. Had that happen to me when I was a student pilot.

(2) An endorsement in the student's logbook for the specific make and model aircraft to be flown by an authorized instructor, who gave the training within the 90 days preceding the date of the flight.

I would just reendorse them. It would take 5 seconds after you judge that they are competent and lets say they get in an accident during solo and the feds ask to see his logbook. It would be easier just to do it and have it done but that’s just my opinion.

He is talking about the Student Pilot Cert., not the logbook.

Back