Student Medical

Websterpilot

Hi folks,

I came across an interesting situation regarding a student's medical certificate. In the remarks section it says something along the lines of only being valid for a student pilot certificate. He is missing one eye and I believe he is flying with the FAA soon to determine his depth perception capability. He wasn't aware of having any additional SODA paperwork from an AME/FS. I guess I would think that a medical wouldn't be issued until the process was complete?

I am not familiar enough with the process but am guessing that his dealings with the FAA are a part of his SODA? He is not my student, but his primary CFI seems just as confused.

Is there anyone who can chime in about obtaining a SODA, the process, or why an AME would approve and issue a third class medical under these conditions? Basically he is close to soloing and his medical being valid for doing so is questionable.

Thanks in advance!

Thread moved so Doctor Forred will see. He'll have the best information regarding this.

Students with one eye are issued a Student Only medical certificate. When they are ready for their check ride, they request authorization from OKC for a Medical Flight Test. This is taken with an FAA Inspector who, if they pass. can approve their license as well as send apporval for a SODA for monovision. The AME on subsequent medicals can issue a certificate based on the SODA.

Back