Sticking with a routine

JordanD

Here so I don’t get fined
For a few months I've been looking to pick up a weight lifting routine, however anybody that flies for a living knows that can be really, really tough sometimes. Has anybody on here found a way to stick with one or find one that works for an airline/similar schedule? Hotel gyms never seem to work with any of the routines I've found online, and chain gym locations are hit or miss depending on what region I end up in for a few weeks, so a gym membership seems like it would be a waste of money half the time if I wouldn't even be able to use it.

Bring a band and your running shoes. I did the whole gym membership and it didn't work for me, it was too inconsistent, as we never went to the same place more than once (usually). You can get a decent burn with body weight / band routines. Most hotel gyms at least have dumb bells, which will allow you to do nearly any workout needed to at least maintain muscle mass.

body weight and resistance band training on the road. Fit in a good run if possible. Or even just 20 min on the treadmill/elliptical/bike at the hotel is better than nothing.

Focus on cardio on the road, mass at home
Whichever place I go to I'll probably be on the road 3 times as much as at home haha. Might do cardio but it could be counterproductive, I'm definitely not looking to get thinner.

I do as much of the "involved" weight lifting at home that I can. That said, I try to keep it to a somewhat consistent schedule. I've heard people talk about stuff like Crossfit and how much easier it is to do than programs that require equipment. This week, I take each weight days' exercises that require weights I won't see on the road and did them the day I wanted to lift at home. The rest of the stuff is happening on the road. Today is normally "heavy day", but I'm obviously not going to be squatting anything substantial here at the LaQuinta DFW, so I did that on Tuesday. Works great unless I need to meet very specific rest requirements.

What's your schedule like?
Still figuring it out, but likely either week on/week off or 2-3 on 2-3 off, most likely hopping from city to city. The past couple months would have been perfect for a gym membership if it wasn't for the lack of paychecks.

Still figuring it out, but likely either week on/week off or 2-3 on 2-3 off, most likely hopping from city to city. The past couple months would have been perfect for a gym membership if it wasn't for the lack of paychecks.

Easy peasy. Unless you are training for specific events, ie strong man, oly lifting comps, power lifting comps, etc you can easily build some strength and size and have your schedule.

Day A: Press, Dips, Rows/pullups
Day B: Squats, Dead lifts, Posterior chain work (good mornings, RDLs, etc)
Day C: Bodybuilding stuff, ie curls, tricep extensions, grip work (farmers carry FTW) and some kind of conditioning (sled pulls, prowler pushes, etc)

If you have a week on week off schedule, week off Day A, rest, Day B, rest, Day C, Day A go to work, next week off end with day B and so on

If it is the 2 - 3 on and 2-3 off, when off do Day A, Day B, Day C, if only 2 days off, Day A , Day B, go to work, Day C, Day A, etc

Day A rep scheme in the 5x5 realm
Day B rep scheme 3x5 for squats, work up to heavy singles in deads (3-6 singles) and 2x10 for posterior work
Day C rep scheme is up to you and how you feel, no less than 8 reps, these are the small muscle groups that get worked on days A and B you're just giving them a little more attention. Focus a good chunk of your effort and time on your conditioning work, ie gas yourself.

Make out a 6 week rotation (total time not 6 weeks of actual lifting) and come up with the exercises you will do for that period. At the end of the 6 weeks, max out what can be maxed out (no maxing out curls!) Then pick new exercises and do that for 6 weeks, rinse and repeat.

Variations are great, front squats, behind the neck pressing, dumbell pressing, floor pressing, sumo deads, deads from a deficit, chains and bands etc and so on.

Now for the "preachy" stuff

Ignore terms like "CNS Fatigue", over training, too little/much volume, etc.

Get in, get your work done, get out.

Good luck, gravity don't give a S$^&T

Back