Starting Worldwide Next Week

pilotmike327

I'm still waiting on my transcripts to be evaluated but I've been given the ok to register for classes. I know "get your degree in something that isn't aviation" is the best way to go, but I have alot of credits that might allow me to finish the "professional aeronautics" degree in about 1 year. Maybe after that I'll get a Masters in something else but right now my main concern is a degree and my licenses.

Good idea or not?

If you can go ahead and get the degree in Professional Aeronautics in a year it would probably be best to just go ahead and get it. It's only a year :) But thats also coming from someone who is about to embark on 4 years of an aviation degree at Riddle and none of my credits would transfer :/ Sooo, a year doesn't seem to bad. :)

Thanks! I'm definitely going to need it! :S lol. Especially since I'd like to do a double major; but, I'm not so sure as to how that well that will work out yet lol. Good luck with figuring out what you want to do! :)

I'm still waiting on my transcripts to be evaluated but I've been given the ok to register for classes. I know "get your degree in something that isn't aviation" is the best way to go, but I have alot of credits that might allow me to finish the "professional aeronautics" degree in about 1 year. Maybe after that I'll get a Masters in something else but right now my main concern is a degree and my licenses.

Good idea or not?

I think it is a great idea, especially in your situation. I just graduated from the same program this summer and the main reason I chose it was because riddle had a transfer agreement with the junior college I was attending at the time. Plus having their name on your resume will give you an edge in the future when you start the job search.

I think it is a great idea, especially in your situation. I just graduated from the same program this summer and the main reason I chose it was because riddle had a transfer agreement with the junior college I was attending at the time. Plus having their name on your resume will give you an edge in the future when you start the job search.
Not worth starting this again. Good luck guys and gals!!

Good idea or not?

You've mentioned that not getting an aviation-related degree is "the best way to go." Keep in mind that the validity of that statement will vary from one individual to another based on individual circumstances; therefore, it will not apply to everyone. You realize this, right? If you do, then take care not to throw that statement around like it's a universal fact (hell, you probably got it from somebody else on this forum :)).

Often, when people ask for career-related help, they make the mistake of asking questions along the lines of "What should I do?" If you let other people (especially people that have no idea who you are and what you really want) direct your career-related decisions, then you will bring yourself that much closer to disappointment.

Instead of asking, "What should I do?" You need to ask, "What did you do?" Look around for people who have attained the goals that you are trying to attain for yourself. Notice the different decisions that they have made and how those decisions have come to serve them in the various aspects of their life. Look for the positive and negative sides of those decisions as you try to relate them to your life. Try to find a path that will be the most helpful depending on your particular circumstance.

The only person that has the answer to your question is you. We don't know where you are placing yourself in your future life, but you do.

Good idea or not?

If I had the choice of either spending 1 more year for an aeronautics degree or possibly over 2 more years (including prerequisites) for a backup degree; I would go with the aeronautics degree. The one thing I have learned is that getting a job is more about who you know than anything else. If you lose your medical years down the road and have to leave your flying career, I don't think an 8 year old business degree with no recent experience in the field is going to be much more valuable than an aviation degree.

Aviation is the industry where I see myself. It's always been something that has interested me. With that, I want to learn the most about my field. My biggest worry was "What if I can't find a job?" Truth is there are many opportunities in this industry that the question becomes "What kind of job do I want?" I personally think that finishing up my degree in my field of choice is the best way to go. Sure, I could play it safe and get a degree in something else but the problems with that are 1) I'm not going to be studying something I enjoy and 2) It would be taking away from time where I could be learning something that actually interests me. I had my gut feeling telling me to do the aviation degree but that nervous "what if" voice kept popping up. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Back