Starting over to try the aviation world

exneophyte

Background: When I was finishing up high school and trying to decide what was next, I debated between going into information technology or trying to become a career pilot. After doing some research and speaking with people in aviation, I decided to go to college because of what seemed like an unstable job market in commercial aviation. I graduated from college in 2007 with a business degree in Management of Information Systems. I worked with technology in high school and all throughout college and have now worked in the technology industry for a total of 8 years managing computers at schools and businesses.

Now to the point: For about two and a half years now, I haven’t enjoyed what I’ve been working on. I make decent money ($50-60k) have good benefits and get weekends and holidays off working for a software company, but still feel like something is missing. I fly a lot for work and am consistently amazed and intrigued by how all of the pieces fall together ultimately getting me to my final destination and home. I’m considering making a leap of faith and trying something in the aviation industry to see if that might be the direction I might want to go in. I’m even thinking I might try doing something like working as a line technician, but am open to suggestions. I’m pretty sure working as a line technician would be a significant pay cut, but I’m open to that for the opportunity to get some experience in a field that I’ve always had an itch for.

I live very close to MSP and only a short drive from STP and am going to start my PPL later this year or early next year after I get some finances in order. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to own and operate my own FBO, but I’m getting ahead of myself and think I should get my foot in the aviation door to see if it is amazing as I have imagined it. Sorry for writing a book, but I’ve put some thought into this. Here are my questions:

Assuming I might want to own and operate an FBO, what kind of entry level jobs would you recommend so I can get some aviation experience and exposure?

Have others around here made dramatic career changes like this to get into aviation?

Other than the obvious jobs like pilots, mechanics, line technicians, etc are there other jobs I should be looking into that would combine my knowledge of technology and my interest in aviation?

Other than the obvious jobs like pilots, mechanics, line technicians, etc are there other jobs I should be looking into that would combine my knowledge of technology and my interest in aviation?

Avionics technician would be worth looking into for combining your knowledge with aviation. As far as being a commercial pilot...ummm, well some of us need to die :D or even better said RETIRE! You really need to know someone these days and sometimes that is not even enough with all the competition just to get your foot in the door. Welcome to JC and good luck; there's a good bunch of people here.

If you want to get into management at an FBO, then go work at one!

You will have to start at the bottom floor to learn the business, probably as something like a line service guy, but you should be able to move up over time as the business gets to know you and you get to know it.

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at all of those suggestions. It'd probably best to learn the FBO business on someone else's dime before I try my hand at it.

There are far more FBOs that have gone 'bust' than have gone 'boom'. Just like the restaurant business, you have to have the right combination of skill, knowledge, and luck to make them work.

Indeed, it is best to learn the ropes with someone else's capital investment funding the knowledge.

I live very close to MSP and only a short drive from STP and am going to start my PPL later this year or early next year after I get some finances in order.

By the time you finish a PPL, you'll probably have a better idea of what you might want to do. Good luck! and don't quit your day job ;-)

There are far more FBOs that have gone 'bust' than have gone 'boom'. Just like the restaurant business, you have to have the right combination of skill, knowledge, and luck to make them work.

Indeed, it is best to learn the ropes with someone else's capital investment funding the knowledge.

Don't forget location, location, location!!

Back