Starting at UND Fall 2014

FL320

Hi guys,
I will most likely be attending UND in the fall of 2014. I am currently getting my private pilots license in order to save a little money. Looking at courses I would take my first semester I have come up with this:
Avit 100 (1)
Avit 102 (5)
Avit 103 (2)
Atsc 110 (3)
Atsc 110L (1)
Math 146 (3)
Engl 110 (3)

Total comes out to 18 credits which seems like a lot, however I already will know all of the material in Avit 100 and 102 coming in with my private pilots license. I also will be only flying during the semester in order to complete the required flights to get used to the procedures at UND. Can any current/graduated UND students tell me about how these courses look?

The schedule doesn't look to bad, 18 credits is always going to be rough when you have a flight lab. However, don't look at AVIT 102 like it is going to be a breeze and you will cruise right through it.

For some people it is not an issue, but for others it can be a very difficult course. All of UND's standard operating procedures will be things you have never done before, the aviation department has ridiculously high standards, but not everyone was a slacker like me!!

Basically, the schedule doesn't look too bad, just be sure to take everything seriously and have fun with it.

I already will know all of the material in Avit 100 and 102 coming in with my private pilots license.

You'll be surprised how much of that you don't know. I came in with my private certificate and still learned a lot for that class and had to study. It was easier for me than the people starting from scratch but definitely not a breeze. As always, look at ratemyprofessors before registering and choose carefully. Avit 100 is easy and mostly just about UND campus resources.

Do you plan on working at the same time? 18 credits and flying isn't that bad, but if you throw in a part time job you will be very busy. For flying you will take the 112 flight course which is about 10 lessons to get you used to flying in the GFK airspace. It usually only takes a couple months but the cost is about $2500.
The first time pass rate for 112 is very low too. *most people unsat the oral.

I don't want to make it sound too bad, getting your PPL outside UND then getting commercial/instrument here is still the best way to do it IMO.

Ok everyone thanks for the input. What makes passing Avit 112 and 102 so hard? Is it mostly overconfidence by people who already have their PPL?

I do not plan on working my first semester so that should allow me more free time to get in the needed lessons as well as spend time on coursework.

Unfortunately I will not be able to stay during the summer as I live in Michigan and we start school late and thus end school very late (Mid-June).

102 and112 are just hard courses. UND expects you to know way more 'book knowledge' than you will learn at a part 61 school and there is a big difference between flying out of an uncontrolled field with a checklist that is most likely a laminated sheet of paper, and knowing all of UND's practice areas, procedures, checklists and flows, etc.

I fly out of class D right now although it's a much smaller airport than KGFK

How difficult is Atsc 110, Math 146, and Avit 103? I looked on ratemyprofessors and it looked like most of the teachers for Math 146 were really bad for other people.

Atsc 110 is really easy (can you read a METAR?), Avit 103 is equally easy, Math 146 can be easy or hard depending on how you are at math. I'm terrible at math and I managed to pass it. Someone who is good at math will probably find it easy.

I'm not familiar with UND's coursework, but 18 hours is a lot as a freshman. If you are going to live at home over the summer, I would recommend knocking out a couple of classes at the local community college for cheap.

Also check out myedu.com. At my school, they provided grade breakdowns for classes and professors. That was much more valuable to me than ratemyprofessor.com

Back