Starting a new career

CHayes1126

I am about to be furloughed from an airline. Back in college I completed my degree and went ahead and got an ATC minor. I did not take the required class to be considered ATCTI complete (I can, its only one class). My question is, im looking to get out of the airline business and pursue my minor. The only problem is, I really have no idea how to get started. Can anyone offer me any advice? Ive been reading the boards but you guys have more acronyms than pilots! Thanks in advance.

Every single month a new one appears, there may be one out now that you may be able to apply to....one word of advice once you do start applying don't stop until you recieve a FOL (or at least a TOL).

I went to a CTI school for 4 years (currently 3 history classes from my degree). If you don't want to spend an extra 5 weeks in the academy, you could finish your degree. Or you could do what I did and just apply off the street. It won't hurt... and from what I've experienced, the OTS hirings are WICKED fast compared to CTI. What takes most CTI grads over 6 months to get done, the FAA is now accomplishing in under 3 with the OTS guys. I'm a little put off by it after watching fellow classmates get screwed (it's still going on), but whatever. OKC here I come :D

I went to a CTI school for 4 years (currently 3 history classes from my degree). If you don't want to spend an extra 5 weeks in the academy, you could finish your degree. Or you could do what I did and just apply off the street. It won't hurt... and from what I've experienced, the OTS hirings are WICKED fast compared to CTI. What takes most CTI grads over 6 months to get done, the FAA is now accomplishing in under 3 with the OTS guys. I'm a little put off by it after watching fellow classmates get screwed (it's still going on), but whatever. OKC here I come :D

Where did you get 3mos. from? The fastest I've seen was the 2/15, and they're just finishing their PEPCs now.

I'm in the same boat with you. I am just hoping I can hold on to my job and benefits until after the PEPC if I make it that far.

I am about to be furloughed from an airline. Back in college I completed my degree and went ahead and got an ATC minor. I did not take the required class to be considered ATCTI complete (I can, its only one class). My question is, im looking to get out of the airline business and pursue my minor. The only problem is, I really have no idea how to get started. Can anyone offer me any advice? Ive been reading the boards but you guys have more acronyms than pilots! Thanks in advance.

Basically, keep reading up on things around the forum. Apply to the next OTS announcement (should be PUBNAT5 unless they change their system on us), which will probably open up before the end of July... I'm sure someone will post here when it's available, since that's how it's been going the past few announcements. Once you apply, you wait... and wait... and wait... keep applying to all the OTS announcements until you are hired, so if you don't get picked up from PUBNAT5, you've already applied to PUBNAT6,7,etc...

Watch out for the age catch too. Must be hired prior to turning 31. I am not sure if that affects you or not but wouldn't want to see you jump ship for a liferaft that isn't there.

in my opinion, the hiring process starts when they start asking for your paperwork.

I'd agree. From what I undertsood, the FAA lady said that from the interview to OKC would take over 6 months, and now its under 3 months (or less than 1 month for some people here).

She said there are people who interviewed last year (non-PEPC) who are still waiting to complete all the little medical and security parts of their application. Hence, PEPC is substantially faster.

What takes most CTI grads over 6 months to get done, the FAA is now accomplishing in under 3 with the OTS guys.

CTI grad 5/5/08, CTI application closed 5/30/08, Referral List 6/05/08, PEPC invite 7/01/08. Timelines are changing for all types of hires

yeah, but you have to watch out for where the PEPC invited came from, if you graduate from CTI and also applied OTS. If you are invited to the PEPC from the OTS, it doesn't matter if you've graduated, you must still re-complete the first 5 week basics course at OKC, which CTI grads don't have to complete. Not that big of a deal, just came as a suprise to a few people I know that thought they were being called from the CTI side, when really they were being called from a previous OTS application. They will not add the credit for completing the CTI degree to your OTS application.

yeah, but you have to watch out for where the PEPC invited came from, if you graduate from CTI and also applied OTS. If you are invited to the PEPC from the OTS, it doesn't matter if you've graduated, you must still re-complete the first 5 week basics course at OKC, which CTI grads don't have to complete. Not that big of a deal, just came as a suprise to a few people I know that thought they were being called from the CTI side, when really they were being called from a previous OTS application. They will not add the credit for completing the CTI degree to your OTS application.

I'd be worried about it if I had graduated :D

But 3 classes away so I'll take my 5 weeks over 4 more months of school :nana2:

Did you Graduate from Riddle? If so, then i am assuming you are Missing AT 302.....is that about right.

Back