Staffing Needs in MO?

Does anybody know the need for controllers in Missouri?

If I am not mistaken I believe there is a shortage at Springfield, MO. I believe St Louis is staffed ok. (They just received several new comers.) I have no idea about Kansas City ATC or Enroute.

It's hard to say, because STL tower is overstaffed, yet the FAA keeps sending people. Who knows how many folks the FAA will pack in? From what I can tell after touring BNA and STL, they're looking at the number of controllers scheduled to retire and basing their new-hire numbers on that. However, after taking to a few of them, they're going to max out their retirement age after this economy took a hit -- and because the money is just too good to let go... which means some of us may be waiting even longer to get in. However, on a more positive note for those retirees-to-be, at least they're not just doing it for the money; one of them said he doesn't know what he'll do when he retires, because this is what he loves, it's in his blood, and he can't imaging NOT doing it.

I told him to retire and get hired back to be my trainer. :)

Kansas City Intl (MCI), St. Louis Lambert Intl (STL), and Springfield Natl (SGF) are your big ones in MO. No ARTCCs in MO, so you'd be committed to terminal only. Kansas City Downtown Wheeler (MKC) also has a low volume tower (yes, it's FAA). Spirit of St. Louis (SUS, west St. Louis) also has a fairly low volume tower. I'm not sure of hiring needs at these 5 facilities. Jefferson City (JEF) and Columbia (COU) also have contract towers if you're interested in that route.

Also note that St. Louis Lambert has a separated facility (meaning you only work at either the tower or TRACON), and Kansas City Intl has a combined "up/down" facility (meaning you work one day in the tower, one day in the TRACON, and so on).

I think SUS is going to be pretty tuff to get in to. Last time I talked to them they were pretty well staffed. They dont really do much if any commercial traffic and they just lost the only flight school they had out there. AB (Budweiser) had their flight department out there, but that has since gone away.

If your interested in the St. Louis area you may want to consider consider St. Louis Downtown. The traffic load out there isn't that heavy. The catch is that they are not really in missouri. They are in Cahokia (East St. Louis) about 5-10 miles across the river from MO.

EDIT: I should note for the geographically impared that East Saint Louis is in IL, NOT MO so make sure you remember that on your geographic preferance..

Don't worry. It's not the East Saint Louis portrayed in National Lampoons Vacation where thugs wonder the street with knives and jack the Oswalds car wheels.......

Almost all of the thugs have swithced over to guns by now and I dont think stationwagons even exist anymore.

St Louis is a great place. I lived there for about a year and loved it.

He's right. I crack a lot of jokes but I was raised there and still live here. It is just EXTREMLEY devided and segregated (North county, West County, South County) in it's politics and lifestyle. Unfortunately it always seems to be one step forward two steps back for the city its self (see metro link and the many "re-births" of the downtown") The upsides of the city are Soulard, The Hill, Dogtown, Forest Park, the Loop, etc. All the little neighborhoods that make the town a great place to grow up and live.

In my Academy class, we have 1 person going to MKC, 2-3 going to MCI, and 2 going to SGF. Take it for what it's worth.

He's right. I crack a lot of jokes but I was raised there and still live here. It is just EXTREMLEY devided and segregated (North county, West County, South County) in it's politics and lifestyle. Unfortunately it always seems to be one step forward two steps back for the city its self (see metro link and the many "re-births" of the downtown") The upsides of the city are Soulard, The Hill, Dogtown, Forest Park, the Loop, etc. All the little neighborhoods that make the town a great place to grow up and live.

I agree, I lived downtown in the Lafayette District. You forgot to add City Museum as one of the things that makes it a great place to be. Also, St Louis is #2 in the nation for the most free stuff to do. Zoo, Science Museum, Etc. (D.C. is #1.)

I lived in soulard up until 2 weeks ago....I'm guessing you meant around Lafayette Square? Thats a nice neighborhood too.

The zoo is really nice, it's supposedly one of the best in the country, which is suprising because it's free.

I didn't know we were ranked #2 in the nation for free stuff...Funny, that I'm moving to DC and it's #1...lol movin up in the world.

I didn't know we were ranked #2 in the nation for free stuff...Funny, that I'm moving to DC and it's #1...lol movin up in the world.

Perhaps because of the size of the welfare population? (this is where I'd insert the smiley ducking the tomato, which apparently doesn't on JC! :))

Does anybody know the need for controllers in Missouri?

I live in Missouri, but I'm technically going for a Kansas facility (ZKC)... I haven't checked the staffing situation in a month or two, but the last I knew it was going to be around 80%"ish" staffed for '09.

ZKC is in Olathe, which is more or less part of Kansas City.

For those who are unfamiliar... Olathe is pronounced "oh-lay-tha", NOT "oh-laith." :) I've also heard people say "oh-lah-thee", lol.

For those who are unfamiliar... Olathe is pronounced "oh-lay-tha", NOT "oh-laith." :) I've also heard people say "oh-lah-thee", lol.

"Oh-lah-they." From a friend in North Dakota.

"Then I have to go to some place called... O-la-they in Kansas... you know where that's at?"

"Oh-lah-they." From a friend in North Dakota.

"Then I have to go to some place called... O-la-they in Kansas... you know where that's at?"

LOL, that's great. That's a creative one.

Olathe is native american for "beautiful." Just some trivia for you. I've lived here for 23 years. :)

We have the worlds largest half completed McDonalds sign.... We havent gotten the other half finished or painted it yet. But you can go up in it and see the sprawling metropolis that is St. Louis.

We have the worlds largest half completed McDonalds sign.... We havent gotten the other half finished or painted it yet. But you can go up in it and see the sprawling metropolis that is St. Louis.

Where is that? I'm in St. Louis until Sunday (just went to TRACON this morning) and would love to see it.

Back