Staff suggested location change.

stringman

Did anyone else have one of the PEPC staff suggest to "Email your HR contact and ask to be assigned to a lower facility level in order to have a better chance of success?"
I was assigned NorCal TRACON, and didn't think changes were allowed until it was suggested by PEPC staff.

That is weird, but if it's legit I would look into it. Maybe you can hand pick a location that you want.

Did anyone else have one of the PEPC staff suggest to "Email your HR contact and ask to be assigned to a lower facility level in order to have a better chance of success?"
I was assigned NorCal TRACON, and didn't think changes were allowed until it was suggested by PEPC staff.

Did you talk really slow or otherwise seem "remedial"?

I kid, I kid. :cwm27:

nice one...:laff: Pretty sure not though...I would like to start somewhere that's not a 12 though..

All the atc'rs say it's all but impossible to succeed as a trainee at a level 12.

Hmmm.... so if you can't trust anyone, should you really call the facility;might be a setup:sarcasm:

Funny. My point was that there are a lot of bitter and jealous people here, and they might dissuade the OP from the chance of a lifetime, without even being familiar with the facility itself.

Persons on here told me that it would be wise not to gamble for lvl. 10 McCarran, and that I'd wash, when I did my own research and discovered that their OTS trainee rate is 50%. Guess how many people were fired, quit, or retired in 2007? TWO.

Funny. My point was that there are a lot of bitter and jealous people here, and they might dissuade the OP from the chance of a lifetime, without even being familiar with the facility itself.

Persons on here told me that it would be wise not to gamble for lvl. 10 McCarran, and that I'd wash, when I did my own research and discovered that their OTS trainee rate is 50%. Guess how many people were fired, quit, or retired in 2007? TWO.

Honestly, I do not believe KLAS is hiring OTS. And it's a level 11 facility. The 1 person they did hire from the LA PEPC has prior experience.

(702) 262-5900

Go call 'em, and ask for yourself. 50%.

I am not getting into a pissing contest with you here. I am over it. I am just offering my advise. I live here and I know the people that are making the referral selection for the interviews. I am not trying to tell you that you are not getting into your "dream facility." Maybe you will. I just think all of us need to be realistic here and heed advise from others. Set your goals high and maybe you will reach them but don't limit yourself to all or nothing.

You must also consider that 50% of those people go home. Gone and done forever. If this is really what we all want to do we need to lay out a reasonable path on which we can succeed. As you can see I am going to KVGT. I am excited as can be about that. Smaller facility yet still one of the top 50 busiest airports in the US. Perfect place to check out.

Going for the gold and setting unreasonable and unrealistic goals are what make people fail. If you can do a level 12 go for it. I wish you the best.

I'll see you in a couple years. :rolleyes:

After all, venividibitchy, if you get into KVGT we will be working together and drama is really not what I want and I am sure you don't either. Truce!?

I don't think it would hurt to ask and be proactive instead of reactive about your possible career. The military hands out assignments in a similar fashion and there were always people who would be proactive with their assignments and call up and try grease their way into better assignments. Sometimes they would get what they were asking for and everyone would be jealous.

It is a fine line to walk though, they are busy in HR and you could come off as annoying. It really depends on how you go about it and how personable you are.

Good Luck!

I am not getting into a pissing contest with you here. I am over it. I am just offering my advise. I live here and I know the people that are making the referral selection for the interviews. I am not trying to tell you that you are not getting into your "dream facility." Maybe you will. I just think all of us need to be realistic here and heed advise from others. Set your goals high and maybe you will reach them but don't limit yourself to all or nothing.

You must also consider that 50% of those people go home. Gone and done forever. If this is really what we all want to do we need to lay out a reasonable path on which we can succeed. As you can see I am going to KVGT. I am excited as can be about that. Smaller facility yet still one of the top 50 busiest airports in the US. Perfect place to check out.

Going for the gold and setting unreasonable and unrealistic goals are what make people fail. If you can do a level 12 go for it. I wish you the best.

I'll see you in a couple years. :rolleyes:

After all, venividibitchy, if you get into KVGT we will be working together and drama is really not what I want and I am sure you don't either. Truce!?

I appreciate the kindness; I don't wish to fight with you, either...I just simply don't understand why the supervisor would lie to me about something so imperative? My voice was quite shocked when he declared that though ex-military controllers or transfers have priority, that they still have quite a few OTS applicants there, though people here led me to believe otherwise. I asked how their success rate was, at completing training, and he said that they have one of the best training programs in the country and they don't let people go after they've "come so far", unless they are, en quote, "dead set upon it". Maybe he was just trying to recruit more fodder; I don't know. It's only my best guess, as everyone has a different story for me along this path. I wish I remembered his name, but he claimed to be the supervisor.

Congrats on KVGT; you must be so excited. Do you know how many trainees are currently there, and how many controllers total? I remember seeing some ridiculously small number like 13 (incl. one trainee) on a spreadsheet once.

EDIT: Also, I've heard the area is an everyday Grumman convention. :laff:

I appreciate the kindness; I don't wish to fight with you, either...I just simply don't understand why the supervisor would lie to me about something so imperative? My voice was quite shocked when he declared that though ex-military controllers or transfers have priority, that they still have quite a few OTS applicants there, though people here led me to believe otherwise. I asked how their success rate was, at completing training, and he said that they have one of the best training programs in the country and they don't let people go after they've "come so far", unless they are, en quote, "dead set upon it". Maybe he was just trying to recruit more fodder; I don't know. It's only my best guess, as everyone has a different story for me along this path. I wish I remembered his name, but he claimed to be the supervisor.

Congrats on KVGT; you must be so excited. Do you know how many trainees are currently there, and how many controllers total? I remember seeing some ridiculously small number like 13 on a spreadsheet once.

EDIT: Also, I've heard the area is an everyday Grumman convention. :laff:

The same people that are recruiting for KLAS are recruiting for KVGT. If you will notice on the KVGT website all the contact emails are McCarran people. It's really like it's just a smaller version a few minutes north. I have no Idea on numbers there regarding controllers and trainees. I have only heard of you and the guy I met at the LA PEPC and another friend that is taking the AT SAT in LA thursday even applying for Nevada.

I am thrilled about KVGT. I can't wait to go to the Academy as well. this is all a dream come true for me and I am really just over all the waiting. But as they say....Good things come to those who wait, so I bet it's going to be Amazing!

The same people that are recruiting for KLAS are recruiting for KVGT. If you will notice on the KVGT website all the contact emails are McCarran people. It's really like it's just a smaller version a few minutes north. I have no Idea on numbers there regarding controllers and trainees. I have only heard of you and the guy I met at the LA PEPC and another friend that is taking the AT SAT in LA thursday even applying for Nevada.

I am thrilled about KVGT. I can't wait to go to the Academy as well. this is all a dream come true for me and I am really just over all the waiting. But as they say....Good things come to those who wait, so I bet it's going to be Amazing!

Yes, not many folks interested in Nevada on here; you are the only person I've ever seen accepted, and one of maybe two others who I've seen even put it down in their geo. prefs. at all. Did you have to travel to take the AT-SAT in LA?

Is the daily trip to KVGT long for you? Where I'd be, in SW Spring Valley, it'd be a bit of a trek, though I doubt I'd really mind...

Sorry for all of the questions.

Yes, not many folks interested in Nevada on here; you are the only person I've ever seen accepted, and one of maybe two others who I've seen even put it down in their geo. prefs. at all. Did you have to travel to take the AT-SAT in LA?

Is the daily trip to KVGT long for you? Where I'd be, in SW Spring Valley, it'd be a bit of a trek, though I doubt I'd really mind...

Sorry for all of the questions.

That's okay...I am just killing time at work before a meeting....I live in Henderson (SE) and when I get back I am moving to the North. The 15 and 95 are nightmares and I really would not reccomend SW. It would take you about 45 min at the least to get to KVGT. For KLAS it would be perfect as long as you are close to the 215. South and all the way west (Russell/Trop/Flamingo) to KLAS will be about 20 min. from Durango it's about 5. There is an exit for the Airport right off the 215 and you don't ever have to touch the 15 (Avoid at all costs.) If you get KVGT though, move north if you can. the traffic is a nighmare and today they are starting more contruction on the 15 that will reroute traffic to the side streets. Summerlin and the Lakes areas are good places. Not near the airport!!!!! Scary!!!! I won't even drive there after dark alone.

Summerlin and the Lakes areas are good places. Not near the airport!!!!! Scary!!!! I won't even drive there after dark alone.

I love Summerlin... I used to go there regularly on business... only thing I don't like are those circle turnabout things... isn't it getting expensive up there?

Back