SR-22 Down near TLH - 2 Dead

With full tanks an SR-22 could make the trip no problem.

But maybe the tanks weren't full when leaving CMH, or if there was a leak, or any number of other things happened, then who knows. That's the NTSB's job to figure out.

Always sad to see though.

But maybe the tanks weren't full when leaving CMH, or if there was a leak, or any number of other things happened, then who knows. That's the NTSB's job to figure out.

Yeah, I'm certainly not wanting to speculate about a cause - I was just curious what the range of the SR-22 was since it seemed like a long haul. It also seemed interesting that there was no evidence of fire despite a wing being split apart.

Sad stuff. We did a TLH turn yesterday afternoon and the weather was about 004OVC or so with a cell or two in the area.

580.5 nautical miles S
Initial true course: 188

Performance**
Takeoff 1028 ft 313 m
Takeoff Over 50 ft Object 1594 ft 486 m
Climb Rate 1400 ft/min 426 m/min
Max Operating Altitude 17,500 ft 5,334 m
Stall Speed with Flaps 60 KCAS 60 KCAS
Max Cruise Speed 185 KTAS 185 KTAS
Cruise Range with Reserve (65% pwr) 1049 nm 1942 km
Maximum Range with Reserve (55% pwr) 1170 nm 2166 km
Landing Ground Roll 1141 ft 348 m
Landing Over 50 ft Object 2344 ft 714 m

FAA Prelim:
********************************************************************************
** Report created 11/14/2008 Record 2 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 827GM Make/Model: SR22 Description: SR-22
Date: 11/13/2008 Time: 0018

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES AFTER BEING VECTORED TO ILS
RWY 27, TALLASHASSEE, FL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 1SM BK OVC002 22/22 A2992

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: ORLANDO, FL (SO15) Entry date: 11/14/2008

Yeah, I'm certainly not wanting to speculate about a cause - I was just curious what the range of the SR-22 was since it seemed like a long haul.

Yeah, no worries. The SR-22 has an impressive range. With no wind it can do 900+ miles with reserves. The down side is that its weight and balance numbers limit it. If you carry full fuel it becomes a 2-3 passenger airplane rather than a true 4 seater.

Seems like a Caps deployment should have been a considered choice. RIP to those that passed away. :(

“It’s an exciting night, not because of the crash, but because the neighbors you haven’t seen in three or four weeks, you see them tonight,” said a neighbor, Mrs. L.T. Hayes.
Mrs. L.T. Hayes needs to be punched in the face.

A StarMetro bus is on the scene to take displaced families to local hotels. A voluntary evacuation for the area is in effect because of the potential for an explosion from the undeployed parachute.
So does the person that told them a CAPS parachute was an "explosion" hazard

they were in the soup when they went down. my buddy is an EMT and he called me right away (amongst 15 others who know i fly out of TLH). at that time i went outside and looked up... it was nasty. overcast at like 300 feet. they evacuated the whole neighborhood where the plane went down in fear that the small rocket that launches the chute would go off. it was a sad day.

The weather was OVC002 when it went down. I was out bowling with the AF guys when their gov't cell phones starting go off...:(

Back