Spring Break Multi Time Building Trip (ARR-ATL-PNS-MSY-ARR)

tlewis95

I drive planes

Decided that I needed a bit of twice-prop time and found someone that was in to pay for half. So why not? Lets do Spring Break the right way. This was a Seminole being rented out of JA at Aurora, IL and just received new paint, interior, and G500 glass cockpit. (Still had a "new airplane smell" when we got back)

Trip started Sunday (3/13) night as we flew into LEX from ARR for a short nap before continuing into ATL (which was crazy smooth and easy) in the morning to get a tour of Southernjets Ops/Sims. After that morning it was down to Panama City Beach, FL (ECP) for a night which kinda sucked for us because we couldn't do much with our early AM departure to Pensacola, FL (PNS) the next morning. That flight was fun being at 1000' AGL down the Gulf Coast for 80nm or so into Pensacola, which was actually way more stressful than ATL, with tons of vectoring and speed restrictions and traffic to call. We spent the night with a friend of a friend of ours (who used to be #3 in command at the NAS) after a nice night on the beach. Then it was early AM wakeup for a special viewing of a Blue Angels practice and tour of the NAS provided by the retired Navy officer we stayed with. After all of that fun, we spent a few hours in the awesome Naval Aviation Museum before making out way out of Pensacola for a stroll around Dauphin Island, AL (4R9). We mostly stopped there because of the cool airport (see pics) and were soon on our way into Nawlins (MSY) for the night. We toured the tower there while waiting for my co-pilot friends doctor to arrive from MDW so that he could take us to his house, where we would spend that night. The morning was spent strolling around the bars, cafes, restaurants, strip clubs, shops, etc of the French Quarter before taking a cab back to MSY for our next leg. I ended up taking our cab driver (oddly enough looking like Morgan Freeman) for a local VFR ride so that he could do some flying in order to cross something off of his bucket list. An hour later, and we were on our way home to Chicago with a stop in MEM for some Rendezvous BBQ and gas. It ended up being 13.8 hobbs total for this awesome 4 day time building run in a great airplane. I apologize for the choppy write up, but I don't want to bore anyone with a 3 page essay on what we did, and the pictures below are worth thousands of words, so enjoy! This is only a few of about 500 that I took too btw.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N449JA/history/20110314/0140Z/KARR/KLEX (our first leg)

DSC05043.jpg

(I could get used to this glass/Dual 430 thing...)

DSC05047.jpg

Awesome decoration at TAC Air - LEX

[yt]Nm9wwdQ6coQ[/yt]
DSC05058.jpg

The only weather we hit was here between LEX and ATL
DSC05054.jpg

Beavis and Butthead trying to score

DSC05061.jpg

It cleared up well though

DSC05074.jpg

"lined up like rocketts" going into ATL

[yt]EhBmRhbMIFY[/yt]
vlcsnap-2011-03-18-13h10m56s75.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/iflyc77/springbreak11/vlcsnap-2011-03-18-13h10m56s75.jpg[/img
vlcsnap-2011-03-18-13h11m12s236.jpg

Final for 26R at ATL

DSC05079.jpg

Buying gas at $7.70/gal :drool: at the busiest airport in the world
DSC05085.jpg

Delta dispatch. Lots of talk about the earthquake/tsunami still going on

DSC05086.jpg

DSC05090.jpg

Delta 763 Box

DSC05095.jpg

Shooting touch and goes in the B732 sim

[yt]Cy8pZDLS_CU[/yt]
Me wrestling the 732 into ATL during a T-Storm at minimums... :insane: Fun ride. Haha

DSC05113.jpg

Getting in and out of ATL was crazy simple. No delay at all. :rolleyes:
[yt]oQ4N4GpQfy8[/yt]

vlcsnap-2011-03-18-13h12m33s19.jpg

Just waited for him on 26R and we were line up and wait, and gone

[yt]5uWQMyyrz3M[/yt]

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05124.jpg

DSC05125.jpg

We were vectored in a right 270 to head straight over the field to the South for PCB!

DSC05152.jpg

Just before a low VFR run down the beach to Pensacola!

DSC05160.jpg

DSC05169.jpg

DSC05179.jpg

DSC05184.jpg

These guys have been flying with me just about all over the country now. They provide for some conversations at gas stops.

DSC05186.jpg

(could REALLY get used to this) Running the Travis AFB transition route

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05191.jpg

Crossing over the beach to the inter-coastal waterway

DSC05260.jpg

Yours truly in PNS

DSC05200.jpg

VERY NIZE

Our special viewing area for the Blues
DSC05207.jpg

DSC05212.jpg

(L to R - Me, Friend/Co-pilot, Friend we stayed with)

DSC05228.jpg

Ended up flying the T6 II sims around a bit too.

DSC05233.jpg

The Dunk Tank

DSC05235.jpg

F-14s are always bigger in person to me than in pictures

DSC05241.jpg

One last reminder on this T6 I guess

DSC05247.jpg

DC-3 on skis = win

DSC05252.jpg

Getting a lesson on the preflight of an Intruder (the guy we stayed with had done 4 tours off of the boat in them)

DSC05258.jpg

I also had no idea that the NC-4 was this big!

DSC05263.jpg

Line and delay getting out of PNS...(which there was none of at ATL...)

[yt]dF2q7nrQxJg[/yt]

vlcsnap-2011-03-18-13h14m49s97.jpg

Next stop - Dauphin Island, AL! (4R9)

DSC05278.jpg

Unfortunately only had time to walk around and take a few pictures here before going to MSY

[yt]sdm6lqk_NMg[/yt]
DSC05291.jpg

Over the Gulf (farthest ive been away from shore)

DSC05296.jpg

To the house of the...setting sun....or something

DSC05299.jpg

'Nawlins

DSC05309.jpg

Hanging out with MSY tower for an hour or so

DSC05311.jpg

Bourbon St. the next morning

DSC05319.jpg

French Quarter (New Orleans is definitely a town I want to go back and spend more than 18 hours in)
IT WAS ST. PATTIES DAY TOO! But we couldn't get the airplane another day... :(

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

Cab driver and I after our flight around downtown. :bandit: (First time that I have done local VFR in a Bravo. Haha)

DSC05334.jpg

Being vectored onto a final for 18L at MEM

DSC05339.jpg

Parking at WILSON FBO with some Apaches. (I started laughing right around here when I made a FedEx/Wilson connection. :crazy:)

DSC05346.jpg

Letting the Stec 55x fly the 450nm leg home...

DSC05348.jpg

Finally home around midnight at ARR with her sister ship 445JA. Now only a 1.5 hour drive to my bed in Rockford.

Hope you enjoyed!

P.S. I apologize again for any choppiness and grammatical errors, but this took me a while to put together and it is getting late. Haha

Re: Spring Break Multi Time Building Trip (ARR-ATL-PNS-MSY-A

Looks like an awesome time! Did you use the urinals with the high def TVs at eye level above them at TAC Air? :p

Dude, you took a cabbie up flying because it was on his bucket list? That is B.A.

Cool pictures and write up. That sounded like a good time. I like the Bevis and Butt head things too.

Dude, you took a cabbie up flying because it was on his bucket list? That is B.A.
I'll admit I skimmed through the write up and mostly looked at the pictures and missed that part. That is really badass and you know that guy won't ever forget it. Great way to represent GA!

Looks like a good experience. That mustve ran you so serious dough.

That looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I really am looking forward to flying the Seminole.

That looks like a sweet trip! How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks guys! It was about $2800 just on the airplane rental at $205/hr wet.

Looks like one helluva fun trip to take! Glad you stopped in at Dauphin Island, that's a fun airport to take a plane into.

Ha! You went to Dauphin Island! I love that airport!

Looks like one helluva fun trip to take! Glad you stopped in at Dauphin Island, that's a fun airport to take a plane into.

Ha! You went to Dauphin Island! I love that airport!

I think I first heard about it from one of you two on here, and definitely another place that I would like to spend a weekend.

Wait...you're not a commercially-rated pilot are you? If so, how dare you pay money to build multi time?! Someone should be paying YOU to do all that flying. Or, while you were off having your fun, that airplane could have been used by an MEI to teach students and MAKE MONEY. Now every low cost flight school in the country is going to think they can get just any commercially-rated pilot to pay them to fly their airplanes. You, sir, are going to single-handedly bring down this entire industry. Unbelievable.

:sarcasm:

Very cool writeup and pictures!
That must of been a blast.

Awesome, looks like a lot of fun and thanks for letting us old guys live vicariously through your post!

Wow - that was great!! I've flown from many of the airports you visited. PNS was my home base and I put about 100 hrs in there. I am looking forward to a similar deal in the late summer / early fall. I am surprised about how easy the flight into and out of ATL was. No demand that you maintain 130 kts on final? and > $7.00/gal for avgas? Seesh. I loved flying to Dauphin Island. We called it the "aircraft carrier". Anyhow, great pics and vids. Nice Seminole, great avionics on them, and a pretty good price.

Very cool. Used to fly the 99 out of ATL and down to PNS every night/day, with the same 270 degree turn over the field. Did you meet "Bud" the manager at Atlantic in ATL? Great guy. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me a trip to the outer banks I took in a 177 years and years ago...you'll never forget it.

Wow, heck of a trip. Nicely equipped Seminole. $200/hr wet sounds like a pretty damn good deal.

Back