Speedbird!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
That's actually 2,000 separation between the aircraft and the British Airways 747 over the North Atlantic:
attachment.php

Pardon the lame attempts at a Borat impression by the crew:
[yt]aisFpSi3Mo8[/yt]

Attachments

• speedbird.jpg
    speedbird.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 573
if i recall correctly most of British Airways 747 fleet is fitted with the rolls royce engines, which are infact smaller then there General Electric counterparts.

Ah ha. That explains it. Now, why on earth would the British put RRs on their 74s? ;)

What kind of camera is that? I need a new one. Mine can't even take a pic like that with 1000' seperation.

It's a (lemme check) Canon Powershot SD1000

Nothing really special, but it's perfectly rectangular and doesn't snag in your pocket.

Thanks! :) Of course with 1000' separation the other plane is going the opposite direction which may be part of my problem - the closure rate is too much.

Thanks! :) Of course with 1000' separation the other plane is going the opposite direction which may be part of my problem - the closure rate is too much.

you can always just say that you were going for a nice blur effect to emphasize the speed :)

I say, Doug old chap, smashing good photos of Speedbird!

Did you happen to see the aurora borealis this week? We had a brilliant show of them at 63 degrees north a few nights ago. Tried to photograph them, but none of the pics turned out.

Is it just me or do those engines look small for a 747?
Yeah, they're RRs which do look disproportionate to the size of the aircraft, but they seem to be quieter than the rest (PW and GE) from the cabin. They have a very distinct and neat sound to them.
I still hold that they look odd.

Nothing really special, but it's perfectly rectangular and doesn't snag in your pocket.
Wow. That's impressive for a point and shoot! 2000'?!?
I wish my old PS camera did that. My DSLR will do it nicely now, but I have so many pictures from back on the ramp that aren't worthy of much due to the paltry 3MPs and lackluster zoom.

Really? I've got an SD1100IS, and it the digital zoom sucks in video. Great camera, though.

Also, since this is the first time I've been flying up in the flight levels, I am continuously amazed at the way other aircraft look from up there. Today, there was a guy that was 2000 ft below us, but I swear looking out the window at him, he HAD to be at least 3000 feet above us, if not more.

Taylor..I heard that. You better watch them comments....

'NorthWest guy with the midwestern accent....' :p

ABQ Center: "Speedbird 288 cleared direct Truth or Consequence."
Speedbird 288: "Ah sir, perhaps we could proceed direct Heathrow?"
ABQ Center: "Ahhhhhhhhhhh no, Speedbird 288 cleared direct Truth or Consequences."

Back