Special Thanks to Max!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Just a special thanks to @Maximilian_Jenius who took my nephew on a discovery flight along with his sister. Max not only solidified his interest in flying, but also sparked interest with my niece and her professional aspirations.

Thanks! Plus, man, I'd be a train wreck in a Cessna! I haven't trimmed for over a decade!

It was great meeting your niece and nephew, I had a lot of fun. Lawson is a great stick, he nailed altitude, heading pretty good for his first time at the controls. I felt like a CFI, watching him fly and teaching him pitch/power, etc. Seeing him smile and the fun he was having. He's natural. He caught on really quick. I thought hey, I could do this.

As for your niece. After 12 yrs. in the biz. I speak great nurse. Glad that I could further her interest. Nurse anesthetist, that's a big accomplishment. I think she can do it. Keep me informed of both their future career successes.

Also. They both asked why uncle Doug couldn't fly them. I said, well for starters, this plane doesn't have tray tables. So there's that. And uncle Doug would flare too high on landing and kill you all. :D

Bruh, plus VFR flying in complex airspace? THAR BE DRAGONS!

Bro, c'mon a 16 yr. old got it. I told him that we have to stay at 2500 due to Glendale Class D. And that Class B starts at 3k up to 9k, for the shelf above us. But in the rainbow practice area we're clear of Class B, which is why we can be at 5,500. Light came on.

"What's Class B?"

"Busy. You ever seen that Lion King meme, about everything the sun touches and the darkness?"

Then he kind of just got it.

Bro, c'mon a 16 yr. old got it. I told him that we have to stay at 2500 due to Glendale Class D. And that Class B starts at 3k up to 9k, for the shelf above us. But in the rainbow practice area we're clear of Class B, which is why we can be at 5,500. Light came on.

"What's Class B?"

"Busy. You ever seen that Lion King meme, about everything the sun touches and the darkness?"

Trying to follow you but which airport is Glendale? Thought it might be Whiteman but the Class D goes to 3,000 and no overlaying class B.

Edit: Ohh, Glendale AZ...

giphy (3).gif

Last edited:

"What's Class B?"

Not going to lie. Your description of airspace made my knees sweat. I also have no business flying vfr anywhere near bravo.

"What's Class B?"

Not going to lie. Your description of airspace made my knees sweat. I also have no business flying vfr anywhere near bravo.

What is this big deal about VFR and Class B? Some of my cohorts also have this weird-ass hangup and idea that Class B is somehow akin to the darn Death Star………. :)

It’s just airspace. A different shaped and larger version of Class C or D. It doesn’t bite…:biggrin: Hell, for my guys, it’s just like Class D anyway, as they never call up TRACON and go straight to/from tower in and out of the surface area.

What is this big deal about VFR and Class B? Some of my cohorts also have this weird-ass hangup and idea that Class B is somehow akin to the darn Death Star………. :)

It’s just airspace. A different shaped and larger version of Class C or D. It doesn’t bite…:biggrin: Hell, for my guys, it’s just like Class D anyway, as they never call up TRACON and go straight to/from tower in and out of the surface area.
That’s great and all, but what the hell is class d?

VFR is Class B, didn't request permission and not talking to anyone, is pretty weird.

IMG_2194.png

IMG_0285.PNG

VFR is Class B, didn't request permission and not talking to anyone, is pretty weird.

View attachment 65527

The LAX SFR's used to be my kryptonite.

When I was a young instructor I was taking a student through on a routine "let's head to Hawthorne/Torrance for some landing practice that isn't SMO" and a waking accident with too much money and zero sense in a T6 came up behind us and sat right in our blind spot above the wing playing Top Gun.

I 'felt' the flash of a shadow on my neck (on a severe clear day) and turned around and had the student do small clearing turns... and there was that bonehead playing uncommunicative formation or whatever. After the aircraft 'saw' that I saw them, they backed off.

Never again... after that I took the mini-route and let the students work on their radio work as a bonus. (I did have to use the corridors a couple of times after that, but it was the last resort when the mini-route was stacked up.)

It is pretty cool to fly VFR right over LAX.

The LAX SFR's used to be my kryptonite.

When I was a young instructor I was taking a student through on a routine "let's head to Hawthorne/Torrance for some landing practice that isn't SMO" and a waking accident with too much money and zero sense in a T6 came up behind us and sat right in our blind spot above the wing playing Top Gun.

I 'felt' the flash of a shadow on my neck (on a severe clear day) and turned around and had the student do small clearing turns... and there was that bonehead playing uncommunicative formation or whatever. After the aircraft 'saw' that I saw them, they backed off.

Never again... after that I took the mini-route and let the students work on their radio work as a bonus. (I did have to use the corridors a couple of times after that, but it was the last resort when the mini-route was stacked up.)

It is pretty cool to fly VFR right over LAX.

It was my first time since 1981 when I was Fresno based. Then there was one corridor and everyone stated right of the control tower while in the TCA, no comms, no transponder required. Being based at Chino I don't have a need to use them.

That day (two weeks ago) I was Santa Paula to Hawthorne so the SFRA was perfect.

Back