Southwest pilot's gun goes missing...

Re: Southwest pilot\'s gun goes missing...

Wouldn't have happened if the TSA allowed the pilot to carry the gun where it should be at all times, at his hip.

You know...this is the kind of thing that really $#%*% me off! Having worked in law enforcement and top level security all of my adult life, I could never understand why, after the Feds certify an individual to carry a firearm to protect persons and property, they then put restrictions on where, when, and how they carry that firearm. Separating a certified carrier from his weapon is just asking for an incident to happen. Including that weapon falling into the hands of someone that WILL use it against the very person who should have had it on his/her hip or under his arm. It looks like it's going to take a major incident before the feds open their eyes and do the right thing.

Another contributing problem to this situation is the lack of communication with the ground crews. We just learned about the "checking the gun in the bag while deadheading" rule a couple of months ago. If the rampers don't know, of COURSE it will wind up on the baggage carousel. The way we found out was a United FFDO came down on the ramp to get his bag from the cargo hold. He didn't have an ID, and he was trying to take a bag. Therefore, he about got jumped by about four ramp agents (I was inside the cargo hold, so I just got to watch). After being detained by a ramp supervisor for a while until the security forces came, this guy was Not Happy. TSA's response was, "Oh yeah. Didn't anyone tell you? They have to check the gun and claim it themselves from the cargo hold."

TSA needs a LOT of work in public relations and communications, and I fear it's only going to get worse....

[ QUOTE ]
it looks like it's going to take a major incident before the feds open their eyes and do the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. But, that's what it always takes.

So what are the rules? You get to carry the weapon when you're in the cockpit but you don't get to carry it when you're not?

I'm confused.

I wasn't a big fan of guns in the cockpit, but if you're going to have them, then have the person you certified as capable of carrying one keep it on him at all times!

Back