Southwest flight incident

srleslie

Does anyone know what happened here?

Boeing plane drops within 400ft of the ocean in horrifying fall from sky​

A Southwest Airlines flight is under investigation after an aircraft dropped within 400 feet of the ocean following an aborted landing attempt. The Boeing 737 MAX 8, which had been flying between cities from Honolulu to Lihue airport in Kauai, plunged at a maximum descent rate of about 4,400 feet per minute off the coast of Hawaii before climbing back up to safety.

Does anyone know what happened here?

Boeing plane drops within 400ft of the ocean in horrifying fall from sky​

A Southwest Airlines flight is under investigation after an aircraft dropped within 400 feet of the ocean following an aborted landing attempt. The Boeing 737 MAX 8, which had been flying between cities from Honolulu to Lihue airport in Kauai, plunged at a maximum descent rate of about 4,400 feet per minute off the coast of Hawaii before climbing back up to safety.
Sure!

Boeing plane drops within 400ft of the ocean in horrifying fall from sky

From what I've heard they were on short final in bad weather and dropped from 1000' to 400' and initiated a go-around. It seems murky when poking into whether or not the go-around caused the relatively sudden drop. But it was a Boeing so it must be reported as news, one headline stated that the airplane experienced a harrowing drop from 16,000' and just managed to pull up in the nick of time and all of the passengers will be filing a class action lawsuit for pain and suffering after this incident. I will say I heard that during the go-around they achieved +8500'/min, that seems pretty sporty for a 737.

From what I've heard they were on short final in bad weather and dropped from 1000' to 400' and initiated a go-around. It seems murky when poking into whether or not the go-around caused the relatively sudden drop. But it was a Boeing so it must be reported as news, one headline stated that the airplane experienced a harrowing drop from 16,000' and just managed to pull up in the nick of time and all of the passengers will be filing a class action lawsuit for pain and suffering after this incident. I will say I heard that during the go-around they achieved +8500'/min, that seems pretty sporty for a 737.
I heard that too about the positive climb rate. I wonder how close they came to crashing in the ocean.

Don't take this personally, but what kind of garbage article fails to mention a flight number, or date, or any details more than two months after the incident?

UK rag "Metro" via MSN, that's who. This happened on 11APR. After the approach they noped-out back to PHNL.

Fortunately, another bit of reporting absent from that garbage article (again nothing personal, but I would think twice before proceeding to crap on Metro and MSN here) is "What happened in these 16 seconds is described in an internal memo [my emphasis] circulating in Southwest Airlines stating, that during the go around due to weather conditions the first officer, pilot flying, inadvertently pushed the control column forward while monitoring the power settings causing the aircraft to descend to about 400 feet MSL before the aircraft started climbing again."

The ADS-B data does not indicate an altitude less than below 875 ft MSL when they were already climbing again, which is a notable discrepancy between sources for this incident.

Don't take this personally, but what kind of garbage article fails to mention a flight number, or date, or any details more than two months after the incident?

UK rag "Metro" via MSN, that's who. This happened on 11APR. After the approach they noped-out back to PHNL.

Fortunately, another bit of reporting absent from that garbage article (again nothing personal, but I would think twice before proceeding to crap on Metro and MSN here) is "What happened in these 16 seconds is described in an internal memo [my emphasis] circulating in Southwest Airlines stating, that during the go around due to weather conditions the first officer, pilot flying, inadvertently pushed the control column forward while monitoring the power settings causing the aircraft to descend to about 400 feet MSL before the aircraft started climbing again."

The ADS-B data does not indicate an altitude less than below 875 ft MSL when they were already climbing again, which is a notable discrepancy between sources for this incident.

Sure, but it looks like the ADSB data refreshed about every 20 seconds, so there are some gaps.

The rumot:

1718765330531.jpeg

1718765371396.jpeg

1718765438524.jpeg

View: https://x.com/jonostrower/status/1801692533656846741?t=Ax6limkxX4He1w9SICS2vw

Too damn close to a horrific outcome...

Well we know who leaked it, it was Bernd Hofmeister who sent it to: all pilots. What was he thinking? Anything you send to every pilot is going to get out, and even if it didn't you still basically identified the crew to everyone who works there. There is nothing wrong with telling everyone about an event like this but you can't tell them when or where, or details about the trip.

I’m
Well we know who leaked it, it was Bernd Hofmeister who sent it to: all pilots. What was he thinking? Anything you send to every pilot is going to get out, and even if it didn't you still basically identified the crew to everyone who works there. There is nothing wrong with telling everyone about an event like this but you can't tell them when or where, or details about the trip.

That guy sent it to the pilots - not the internet, correct? A recipient leaked it?

Back