Southern Air - What's it like?

Nope. Immigration was normal save 1 extra piece of paper asking about health.
My company gave us bad info then. We were told you had to put an app on your phone so they can track your movements. It's supposedly being used in their mitigation strategy.

My company gave us bad info then. We were told you had to put an app on your phone so they can track your movements. It's supposedly being used in their mitigation strategy.
Maybe for pax. They still have some pax planes flying. I'm in ICN right now, so.. as of yesterday, no.

Yeah ICN HKG are both starting to pick up again. ICN more than Hong Kong. Headed to Germany tonight and have heard that is much more restricted.

Yeah ICN HKG are both starting to pick up again. ICN more than Hong Kong. Headed to Germany tonight and have heard that is much more restricted.
Germany (LEJ) isn't bad. Grocery stores are open, some restaurants are open for take out. The Penta still has the bar open, and even lets you use the gym 1 person at a time, and then they clean the gym after each use. It's the first place I've seen where the gym is open in 22 days of flying.

Germany (LEJ) isn't bad. Grocery stores are open, some restaurants are open for take out. The Penta still has the bar open, and even lets you use the gym 1 person at a time, and then they clean the gym after each use. It's the first place I've seen where the gym is open in 22 days of flying.
22 days? Ouch.

We still fly to LEJ? I haven't seen that place in a year!!

I have a crazy question:

I was offered a job at Southern last year and really wanted to take it. I liked everyone I met at the interview, and liked the lifestyle that the schedule offers. After I accepted the Southern job (before accepting a class date), I was offered my dream job at a legacy. I explained the situation to Southern and turned down the job offer.

Now I’m looking at a most likely furlough on 01OCT, and was thinking about taking a LOA and applying at Atlas of Southern again as I don’t think I’ll be near competitive for any flying job then should the furloughs go as deep as people are saying. I love where I am at now, but would also gladly sign any sort of contract so a new employer would get their money’s worth out of onboarding me.

I’m obviously humbled to be where I’m at today, but also am regretting a bit that I had the opportunity for a bit of job security and seniority should I taken the job at Southern.

Thanks!

I’m obviously humbled to be where I’m at today, but also am regretting a bit that I had the opportunity for a bit of job security and seniority should I taken the job at Southern.

Thanks!
That's only known in hindsight. If it wasn't for this pandemic, Atlas/Southern was and actually still is on a very self destructive path. I would still be surprised if the company exists in 10 years even given what is happening now. We only make money in spite of ourselves with the management doing everything they can to fail the business. Not because a single person in charge here is any good at this.
You made the best decision based on information available. You can't regret that.

What are the 737 schedules like? Looking for options in case things go tits up in October.
The hiring is for all 4 planes, but the 73 lines are a mix bag of DHL and Amazon flights right now. The DHL flying is off contract and is month to month so who knows how much longer they will be around.

I’m not at southern air but I’m gonna guess if you wait until October you’ll be at the back of a very long line.

It’s a tough decision. Im at the bottom of the list at a major and would obviously rather stay here but job security is not looking too hot so I’m trying to decide whether to take a leave or wait and see if things will get better.

Back