Southern Air - What's it like?

Sp33dB1rd

HI -

I have an interview next week with Southern Air in Cincinati. There is a lot on other forums but nothing recent. Has anyone interviewed or started at Southern since it became part of Atlas? Any QOL improvement in the last year? Any insiders with thoughts on the future of the company since the horrible crash in Texas? Anyone got a gouge? Would love to get the scoop on Southern. Thanks!

So hypothetically is it bad enough that you’d tell furloughees to avoid it?
I was asked this by a friend.
My answer was, that if by some miracle we're back to normal by summer, you'll be really sorry you took a class a southern if you can't bail from it ASAP.
On the other more likely hand, money is better than none.

I am in a bit of a predicament (as is everyone in the industry). I am currently employed at an AAG regional carrier and am potentially furlough fodder if the company ends up furloughing approximately 1/3rd of their pilots. Right now my company is offering company-subsidized leaves of absences (CSLOA) of up to 12 months. That said, I am considering applying to a cargo outfit like Southern Air or Atlas to 'beat the rush' in case this COVID-19 crisis turns into a major downturn since cargo, while not immune, seems more secure than passenger travel for the time being. If I get the gig, I'd apply for the CSLOA.

Am I being foolish or unwise in thinking this is a good idea? What risks or downsides are there to potentially pursuing other aviation gigs (like Southern) while on a CSLOA? If things seem to rebound, I could return to my regional gig. If the U.S. economy continues to slide and I'm furloughed by this fall, I'd at least still have a seniority number at my regional should I ever return. In a similar scenario, if my carrier furloughs but I'm now at the bottom of the list - potentially with reduced pay due to concessions - I'd likely just resign and stay in cargo.

FWIW, I have a young family and live near ORD.

You missed beating the rush. While hiring is continuing at an unprecedented pace, well, what can I say about the volume of applicants?

People also need to think about why companies like Southern are • on by everyone else. Sure, SA pilots have jobs now while others are in the midst of furloughs because cargo is up - but there still is no new contract, the MOU for flying into all of these places is pathetic and the union can't band together the pilots to get any form of unity for pressuring the company. So while I want to feel great about seniority skyrocketing, it's because the other parts of the industry are hurting.
Frankly your decision needs to be based on where you think the world economy will be in 6-12 months

You missed beating the rush. While hiring is continuing at an unprecedented pace, well, what can I say about the volume of applicants?

People also need to think about why companies like Southern are • on by everyone else. Sure, SA pilots have jobs now while others are in the midst of furloughs because cargo is up - but there still is no new contract, the MOU for flying into all of these places is pathetic and the union can't band together the pilots to get any form of unity for pressuring the company. So while I want to feel great about seniority skyrocketing, it's because the other parts of the industry are hurting.
Frankly your decision needs to be based on where you think the world economy will be in 6-12 months
And did you listen to that crew call? That guy who's clearly too brain damaged to hold a medical's 5 minute rant. Holy crap.

I am in a bit of a predicament (as is everyone in the industry). I am currently employed at an AAG regional carrier and am potentially furlough fodder if the company ends up furloughing approximately 1/3rd of their pilots. Right now my company is offering company-subsidized leaves of absences (CSLOA) of up to 12 months. That said, I am considering applying to a cargo outfit like Southern Air or Atlas to 'beat the rush' in case this COVID-19 crisis turns into a major downturn since cargo, while not immune, seems more secure than passenger travel for the time being. If I get the gig, I'd apply for the CSLOA.

Am I being foolish or unwise in thinking this is a good idea? What risks or downsides are there to potentially pursuing other aviation gigs (like Southern) while on a CSLOA? If things seem to rebound, I could return to my regional gig. If the U.S. economy continues to slide and I'm furloughed by this fall, I'd at least still have a seniority number at my regional should I ever return. In a similar scenario, if my carrier furloughs but I'm now at the bottom of the list - potentially with reduced pay due to concessions - I'd likely just resign and stay in cargo.

FWIW, I have a young family and live near ORD.
If that's a WO that has a base in ORD, I'd stay put because you're junior to me and other equally important reasons.

But, seriously. I sort of considered something like that for 15-20 minutes, go fly charter at the old gig for substantially more money and less ppl around. However, the company can recall you from the 12 month thing any time they feel like it if the things are back to ok, so you'll be out of that other place before your probationary year is up and yada yada... I think the spirit of the CSLOA is mil guys who can find orders to drop, and those that can afford to stay home.

Back