Southern Air complete electrical failure

I wasn't on the Classic all that long, however I remember a little bit about the machine. If there is a classic expert, hopefully they'll correct my errors/omissions.

We'll go response by response.

It's a Classic, thus the crew is Classic qualified. They've eaten at Humpy's before. Many times.

We talked about this on the flight today. We had a former Classic CA and FE. The 4 Gen trip doesn't really work out in the system architecture, however, these machines are old. Last Classic was built in '88-ish, and are probably into the 100s of thousands of hours on the air frame.

The Classic has 4 engine Gens; 2 APU gens, but they can't be used in flight. There is no RAT.

Flaps are pneumatic and hydraulically powered in normal mode,and have electrically drives for a backup mode.

Thrust reversers are hydraulic or pneumatic dependent on the engine. They are cable rigged to the engine on the classic IIRC.

There are 3 hydraulic sources for the brakes, all 3 of which have antiskid. There is also an accumulator, but only serves as a means to set the parking brake. The airplane has steel brakes. The whale has artificial feel in the pedals, but it would be very easy to blow the tires if the anti-skid is out. Even if the anti-skid was working, if the flaps (DC controlled for the flap handle, and AC driven with the backup system)may have been up. In that case with the weight of the jet and a high-energy stop, you'll deflate tires, and probably weld the brakes.

I don't recall seeing any skid marks on the runway, which leads me to believe the anti-skid was working.

This sheds a bit of light on the situation,(no pun intended) I found this on a search a few minutes ago. Slemers

newsblue.gif
DATE: 11.09.2012
LOCAL TIME: ~02:00 LOCATION: Anchorage-Intl AP (PANC), AK COUNTRY: USA
AIRLINE: Southern Air TYPE: Boeing 747-200F REGISTRATION: N783SA PHOTO C/N: 23919 AGE: 24 y + 9 m
OPERATION: DSC FLIGHT No.: SOO 9783 FROM: Miami TO: Anchorage VIA: -
OCCUPANTS:
PAX: 0 CREW: - FATALITIES:
PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0 INJURIES:
PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0
DAMAGE TO AIRCRAFT: minor
The aircraft was about 80 miles southeast of its destination, when it suffered a complete electrical failure. All four power generators stopped working leaving the pilots on battery power only. The pilots were able to restore power from two generators and continued to proceed to Anchorage. With its anti-skid system without power, the pilots were forced to use manual braking on landing runway 07L(eft) in darkness, causing 14 (of 18) tires to blew out. The 747 came to a stop on the runway but was unable to vacate. Runway 07L/25R remained closed for over 12hours until all tires were replaced and the aircraft was towed away.
NOTE: Anchorage´s parallel runway 07R/25L was closed days before because of routine overhaul works.

SOURCE(S): ADn[PHOTO] + SacBee + AviationHerald

Back