Southern Air 777 stall on departure from JFK

ChasenSFO

hen teaser

Yikers. It'll be interesting to find out what happened there. The route was JFK-ICN, so surely heavily laden with fuel if not freight.

Baronman

A buddy of mine flies for them, looked up data and indeed was a max weight TO. Not sure if it was landing structural or TO structural, either way it was heavy. He said flap retraction can be tricky in these scenarios and you really have to mind the trend on the speed tape.

Autothrust Blue

Very querulous
A buddy of mine flies for them, looked up data and indeed was a max weight TO. Not sure if it was landing structural or TO structural, either way it was heavy. He said flap retraction can be tricky in these scenarios and you really have to mind the trend on the speed tape.
What’s clean maneuvering speed like on that, at that weight?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
...and you really have to mind the trend on the speed tape.
I haven't seen the radar track of this one to know when it occurred, but the other issue when you have tight margins is a potential downwind turn changing the airspeed.

Itchy

So how would it be on one in that scenario? Sounds like that would be a bit tricky.

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
The C/As I fly with on the 76 tend to ask for "high speed" from the get go in scenarios like this. I intend to do the same! The alternative is, of course, to just stay flaps 1 until you're above 10. I would guess that the triple is at least as finicky in this regard, likely moreso.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I haven't seen the radar track of this one to know when it occurred, but the other issue when you have tight margins is a potential downwind turn changing the airspeed.
This one occurred on departure climbing out of 4000 for 5000

Also, after an event like this, is it customary for the pilots to clean the poo off the seats or is that mx?

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
The C/As I fly with on the 76 tend to ask for "high speed" from the get go in scenarios like this. I intend to do the same! The alternative is, of course, to just stay flaps 1 until you're above 10. I would guess that the triple is at least as finicky in this regard, likely moreso.
Min clean 252
Captain: Ask for high speed climb
Me: *glares in first officer*