Something SWA didnt think of? DAL/LCC Benefit?

meyers9163

I do not see it not happening now.... And totally agree with this article... Perhaps a win win for DAL/USairways in the end... :)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ask-u-s-to-reconsider-nyc-airport-ruling.html

Delta, US Airways to Seek Review of NYC Airport Ruling
By Mary Schlangenstein - Sep 29, 2010 5:32 PM ET Email Share
Business Exchange Twitter Delicious Digg Facebook LinkedIn Newsvine Propeller Yahoo! Buzz Print US Airways Group Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. will ask federal regulators to re-evaluate a ruling that led the carriers to drop a planned swap of takeoff and landing slots in New York and Washington.

The U.S. Transportation Department and Federal Aviation Administration should reconsider their decision on the slots in light of the pending merger of Southwest Airlines Co. and AirTran Holdings Inc. and other recent industry agreements, James Olson, a US Airways spokesman, said in an interview today.

Regulators’ demands that Delta and US Airways give rivals more access to New York’s LaGuardia Airport and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport under their slot plan prompted the airlines to appeal the case in federal court in July. Delta sought to expand at LaGuardia, and US Airways at Reagan.

“We’re certainly going to highlight for the DOT and FAA the changes in the industry landscape and hope they’ll have an open mind about re-evaluating our transaction with Delta,” Olson said.

Trebor Banstetter, a spokesman for Atlanta-based Delta, declined to comment. Bill Mosely, a spokesman for the Transportation Department, said he wouldn’t comment because the matter remains in litigation.

Better Chance?

US Airways and Delta now have a better chance at getting the ruling overturned than they did a month ago, Hunter Keay, an analyst with Stifel Nicolaus & Co. in Baltimore, said today in an interview.

“The competitive dynamic in the Washington D.C.-New York City market as far as Southwest goes is definitely different,” Keay said. The two carriers may have to give up some additional slots to Southwest in order for the deal to go through, he said.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has previously backed the proposal because US Airways facilities at LaGuardia are underutilized, said Helane Becker, an analyst with Dahlman Rose & Co. in New York.

“Southwest now has everything it wants -- it got slots and gate space at Newark by virtue of the Continental and United merger,” she said. “Now that they are buying AirTran, they are getting gate space at LaGuardia. I think it’s highly likely that the deal gets done.”

American, JetBlue

US Airways, based in Tempe, Arizona, also wants regulators to consider a March agreement by AMR Corp.’s American Airlines to swap slots with JetBlue Airways Corp. at New York’s Kennedy airport and Reagan National, as well as a plan by UAL Corp.’s United Airlines and Continental Airlines Inc. to lease slots at New Jersey’s Newark airport to Southwest, Olson said.

The combination of Southwest and AirTran, announced Sept. 27, would give Southwest access to Reagan for the first time, letting it fly from all three major Washington-area airports, and would add to its service at LaGuardia. Southwest opposed the proposed US Airways-Delta slot swaps.

What this shows is that airlines “can enter markets through the buying and selling of slots,” Olson said. “There are a variety of market-oriented channels for airlines to gain access to the airports they want. The market allows competition to work.”

Southwest’s August agreement with United and Continental will add a second New York City-area airport to its network. Southwest, based in Dallas, agreed to lease space for 18 daily round trips at Newark, allowing Continental and United to allay U.S. antitrust concerns that could have delayed their pending merger. The two airlines expect the merger to close this week.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Schlangenstein in Dallas at maryc.s@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for

Something Meyers didnt think of?

AirTran operates into CLT.

So? SWA already controls RDU just up the street. Already announced CHS and GSP as well.... SWA already operates in PHL and PHX as well? Airtran already operates out of ATL and is by far cheaper then SWA on many routes. Lots cheaper on routes out of ATL then DAL already as well..... So maybe rates will even go up?

I hope not 'cause it will mean the closing of RDU, after I finally got back, damnit all to hell!!

The Borg Called Southwest. Eating all Mainline Hub Locations one Hub at a time.

*facepalm*
Yup. Go on Wikipedia and look up DEN and see everything they fly out of there now. Amazing when you figure they didn't even fly to DEN just a few years ago.

So? SWA already controls RDU just up the street. Already announced CHS and GSP as well.... SWA already operates in PHL and PHX as well? Airtran already operates out of ATL and is by far cheaper then SWA on many routes. Lots cheaper on routes out of ATL then DAL already as well..... So maybe rates will even go up?

Meyers if you weren't so naive i would have moved on long ago. Sadly, you are and I cannot.

SWA coming to CLT will cause fares to go up, and LCC will be in better shape??? Sounds like another 'hope' pipedream to me.

The slot swap is another USAirways retreat due in part to the SWA presence in the NY markets - same thing they did in PIT/BWI.

US Air can't compete against SWA. No way no how. They would have to drastically change their operations AND their culture. In fact I would bet most of SWA's gain in flying over the past 5-10 years was at one point US Air passengers. That being said, Delta will be the big loser in this merger IMO. They have a lot more to lose.

Meyers if you weren't so naive i would have moved on long ago. Sadly, you are and I cannot.

SWA coming to CLT will cause fares to go up, and LCC will be in better shape??? Sounds like another 'hope' pipedream to me.

The slot swap is another USAirways retreat due in part to the SWA presence in the NY markets - same thing they did in PIT/BWI.

Oh if you would just grow up man. The fares going up quote had to do with atl. Yet you ignored that part of it as is the normal with you and your negativity. You forget this isn't that other forum in here.

Further more the slot swap is about gaining control over a market that Airways knows will remain profitable even in a market with the fuel prices of 2008-2009. The LGA flying lost money and contiued to do so until recently. Parker was asked about this very issue in crewnews yet again in CLT. DAL has a better option for LGA and Usairways for DCA. With that the rights to Tokoyo and Brazil would help Airways in the future... Call me crazy but I'd like to see Airways around. I mean I have a job at least that away.

Oh and you might want to educate youreself on the PIT issue. Perhaps look up on how the Airport kept jacking up their price which took money out of Airways pocket on every pax that went to or through PIT. PIT airport authority is responsible for Airways pulling out. For whatever reason they thought SWA would come in and help replace the lift Airways dropped. Instead of that happening PIT remains a ghost town.

You seriously think that US Airways pulled their entire operation out of PIT simply because Southwest starting operating some flights out of there?? You couldn't be further from the truth on that one. I think that it had a little more to do with the enormous prices that the Airport Authority thought they could get away with charging since US Airways couldn't possibly afford to pull out of there. Guess they were wrong on that one.

You seriously think that US Airways pulled their entire operation out of PIT simply because Southwest starting operating some flights out of there?? You couldn't be further from the truth on that one. I think that it had a little more to do with the enormous prices that the Airport Authority thought they could get away with charging since US Airways couldn't possibly afford to pull out of there. Guess they were wrong on that one.

Right... Can you say naive?

Back