Something 207 Pilots should know

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
So, here's the airspeed indicator of the sled (C207), nothing too out of the ordinary here, however...

attachment.php

There is a sticking point that someone brought up to me the other day, and I feel the need to address it.

Someone was telling me that the 207 wouldn't fly slower than 65kts indicated, and this is the value posted in the front of the book. In fact, this isn't true. The 207 handbook publishes 65kts in the front as flaps up stall speed, but its ambiguous it doesn't say KIAS, KCAS, etc. it says simply "knots," so you have to do some research.

If you look through the book, and actually get to the published data, you find that the 207 actually stalls between 53KIAS and 57KIAS or 65KCAS and 67KCAS, that's 12 to 10 knots slower than if you were flying calibrated airspeed, that's a hell of a difference, the kind of difference that could get you in trouble.

Also, something that should be noted, the differences in Most Forward/Most Rearword CG are incredibly in the Sled. At 30 Degrees of flap the sled stalls at 46KIAS if the cg is aft (well below the white arc, you have to bury it to get it to fall) and for the most forward CG it stalls at 54KIAS. That's a hell of a difference.

Further, he posited that it was extra dangerous to fly at Vx (which is 66KIAS) because it is only 1knot away from Vs. Again, not true, its actually 9 to 13kts away from stall, you've got plenty of room for gusts.

Know thy ship, its subtle but its out there.

Attachments

• sledairspeed.png
    sledairspeed.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 357
Also, those speeds change based on the pressure and temperature.

And again those speeds are published via 30 years+ ago in factory new (...never been wrecked/rebuilt) 207s. Not many nonrebuilts up here. They all have there own unique abilities. Hmm wonder who brought that up pragman... *cough* - cp?

And again those speeds are published via 30 years+ ago in factory new (...never been wrecked/rebuilt) 207s. Not many nonrebuilts up here. They all have there own unique abilities. Hmm wonder who brought that up pragman... *cough* - cp?

heh heh heh, pm sent

Back