3163923231_931d5af873.jpg

3163858885_fc7a55395b.jpg

3174218962_943c20317e.jpg

3173386039_0d7c022010.jpg

3174236512_69bb0d4b22.jpg

3174260970_e411fa5de4.jpg

3173400007_f037a67b4b.jpg

Great pictures.

I am attempting to go to Machu Picchu in April or May. I'd like to hear about how you did it if you can elaborate!

Great pictures.

I am attempting to go to Machu Picchu in April or May. I'd like to hear about how you did it if you can elaborate!

we have an annual fishing trip to argentina, and every year the owners stop somewhere different on the way home. this year they wanted to go to machu picchu, so we flew from argentina up to cuzco.

we had the handler arrange our trip down to machu picchu. from cuzco it's about a 4 hour train ride, then a 20 minute bus ride from the town to the ruins. the handler also got us a guide who showed us around.

i think if you were to go commercial down there, you would go via lima to cuzco. 3 airlines run out of lima; taca, star peru, and lan. i would pick taca or lan, as they were bringing airbuses up there, where as star peru was running about the oldest 737s on the planet.

the airport elevation is nearly 11000', with terrain much higher all around it.

these are the charts for it-
http://artccperu.org/CartasdelPeru-2005/SPZO-charts.pdf

we had the handler arrange our trip down to machu picchu. from cuzco it's about a 4 hour train ride, then a 20 minute bus ride from the town to the ruins. the handler also got us a guide who showed us around.

i think if you were to go commercial down there, you would go via lima to cuzco. 3 airlines run out of lima; taca, star peru, and lan. i would pick taca or lan, as they were bringing airbuses up there, where as star peru was running about the oldest 737s on the planet.

Great photos!

We went to Machu Picchu last summer and loved it. Nick, if you have the time I would highly recommend hiking in to the site. There is a four day hike along the Inca trail that is supposed to be pretty spectacular, and for the less adventurous ( :hiya: ) there is what they call a two day hike. You take the same train that gne talks about, but get off part way up the valley. We then spent about 6 hours with a guide (required on that trail, and well worth it!) hiking from that point along the old Inca trail to Machu Pichu, arriving to see the site as we crossed over a pass a few hundred feet above it at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. This is, by far, the most spectacular way to see Machu Pichu and well worth the effort. I liked it a lot better than taking the bus up from the valley and walking into the ruins without getting a good overview of the site first. Anyway, we hiked down from the pass, through Machu Picchu, and took the bus down into the village below where we stayed overnight. Then we caught the first bus back up into the site early the next morning and enjoyed wandering around with much smaller crowds and personalized service from our guide. It got busier later when that day's train arrived and the buses came up with the day's tourists, but we had pretty much been through the whole site by then. Our guide was descended from the Incas and had a college degree, was very knowledgeable and proud of the Inca history, and had a great sense of humor.

Here's a link to the thread I posted at the time:

http://forums.jetcareers.com/pictures-road/68183-peru-vacation.html

We were very comfortable with the LAN flights we took in-country (Lima - Arequippa - Cuzco - Lima).

i would have liked to do the inca trail, but as we were only there for 3 day, obviously it was not possible.

a couple from the airport-

3164629158_eb709089c3.jpg

3164660912_9ee7a84f87.jpg

3164686168_1f4f2fbe92.jpg

and this one from when i was there about 10 months ago-
2329692475_6cf88f1eae.jpg

Back