Soloing in a High-Performance plane?

centralhome

I have a student that is learning to fly in a Cherokee Six. This is the first student I have done in a High-performance airplane.
This may be a crazy question, but will he have to have a High-Performance sign off to solo?

Thanks

I have a student that is learning to fly in a Cherokee Six. This is the first student I have done in a High-performance airplane.
This may be a crazy question, but will he have to have a High-Performance sign off to solo?
Thanks

See the "Commercial Solo" thread. According to the defunct Part 61 FAQ's, no, because student pilots are exempted from those endorsement requirements. Moreover, you endorse the student for a particular airplane, making the high performance endorsement redundant.

Although this question is answered this way numerous times in the FAQ's, Midlifeflyer quoted one FAQ that implicitly contradicted the interpretations I just mentioned.

So take your pick.

I would agree with tgrayson, however to be sure: endorse him with a high performance.

Yeah, I would say if you are ready to solo him, then he is ready for the endorsement. I have a similar situation brewing in the next few weeks.

Just out of curiosity, is this the same way you do it for someone learning in a tailwheel Piper Cub? Tailwheel endorsment before they can solo?

Just out of curiosity, is this the same way you do it for someone learning in a tailwheel Piper Cub? Tailwheel endorsment before they can solo?

Again, the FAQ's have long exempted student pilots from all the endorsements required by 61.31, based on 61.31(k). Rather a moot point, though, because the pilot will certainly need them once he has his non-student certificate.

For me, the practical answer comes down to:

Myabe you don't have to, but there is not even one good reason not to (unless you know about an ink shortage I haven't heard about).

For me, the practical answer comes down to:

Myabe you don't have to, but there is not even one good reason not to (unless you know about an ink shortage I haven't heard about).

yeah, what he said. there isn't a very compelling reason not to! And yes as well to the tail wheel endorsement.

Back