So much for the military :-/

SpiceWeasel

Tre Kronor
I'm not even going to bother talking to a recruiter.... I got excited for about 5 minutes about joining the reserve and then I got shot down asking the on-line chat on the AF website questions:

Dual citizen, so can't qualify as aircrew
20/70 correctable to 20/20 is the limit, so can't qualify.

Oh well. Might have been fun.

:(

On the dual citizen thing, really?

I know a guy who is a dual US/Canadian citizen that flew in the USN.

On the dual citizen thing, really?

I know a guy who is a dual US/Canadian citizen that flew in the USN.

Yeah I guess so. That's what the dude on the website said. If someone could get me info that I'd like to hear, I'm all ears. Even if I can get past the first one, both of the "disqualifiers" for me are pretty hard to bypass. For example my vision. Not close to 20/70 uncorrected. Maybe after laser surgery.... lol

*sigh*

It's not like my citizenship is to Iran. I'm Swedish. We haven't exactly been an enemy of the U.S..... ever....

Check the Navy site. I think you can still have up to 20/70 but are limited to helicopters and Patrol flying (P-3s soon to be replaced by P-8s). The P-8 is the 737-800.

If you are dual citizen, you have to renounce your other citizenship to be a USAF officer.

More info...

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=4516&view=findpost&p=166094

If you get PRK or LASIK, you just have to wait one year until your FC1 which is pretty far down the line. (My sight was terrible before I had LASIK and made it through just fine.)

You certainly aren't out of the running unless you give up.

There's gotta be a better way then that. How easy would it be for you guys to renounce your American citizenship to go to service for another country?

I wouldn't renounce my American citizenship for another country either.

Depends on what you want. Maybe you can get in your second country's military.

Too old. I also missed out on the "mandatory" service period. Didn't really mean to get around it but I was in school during the 5 years they have mandatory service. It'd be nice to do but I definitely don't think I could get leave from my company for that.

you're already well on your way if the goal is an aviation career. There's nothing wrong with the civilian route. Don't look back.

Check the Navy site. I think you can still have up to 20/70 but are limited to helicopters and Patrol flying (P-3s soon to be replaced by P-8s). The P-8 is the 737-800.

Bad gouge.....the USN does not make a distinction for vision standards between platforms. Either you are physically qualified as an SNA (Student Naval Aviator) or you aren't, no caveats. That said, PRK has been an option for a number of years now (I have several friends who are flying in the Nav with PRK waivers) and there are upcoming trials for LASIK waivers, though most likely not a viable option for an applicant yet. Regardless of how you "cut it", you still need to see 20/40 or better w/n 3 months of the surgery, be correctable to 20/20 and not have excessive astigmatism, problems with depth perception, or color blindness. If you can pass this test, you are qualified for all platforms the Navy flies. There are lower vision standards for Naval Flight Officer, which you can look up as I am not familiar with them, but I am guessing this is not the route you hope to pursue.

There's gotta be a better way then that. How easy would it be for you guys to renounce your American citizenship to go to service for another country?

I wouldn't renounce my American citizenship for another country either.

I guess that's your answer.

And I would never renounce my American citizenship. That would be like giving up beer so I could drink V-8 for the rest of my life. No f'n way.

I'm not even going to bother talking to a recruiter.... I got excited for about 5 minutes about joining the reserve and then I got shot down asking the on-line chat on the AF website questions:

Dual citizen, so can't qualify as aircrew
20/70 correctable to 20/20 is the limit, so can't qualify.

Oh well. Might have been fun.

Wow. Normally I wait for the old crusty guys to come around and say, "You don't have what it takes," but this post is unreal. I'd kill for a slot right now and am busting my ass to get there. I hope to god there aren't many guys with this attitude that I'll be serving with if I have the honor and privilege of joining the services.

Wow. Normally I wait for the old crusty guys to come around and say, "You don't have what it takes," but this post is unreal. I'd kill for a slot right now and am busting my ass to get there. I hope to god there aren't many guys with this attitude that I'll be serving with if I have the honor and privilege of joining the services.

I might not *kill* for a slot, but it'd be a neat thing to do. Good experience and a chance to do something good. I probably don't have what it takes, you're right. I never seriously thought about joining the military because it didn't fit. I didn't like the "you'll be a navigator" talk, and now that I got all gung ho about it again (I went to the recruiting office, only to get the usual government efficiency in telling me that I'd have to drive to way south of where we were because I live in a different county), I find out that I'd have to renounce a citizenship just to fly for them? If I could do computer work I'd take that too, but I am betting you need TS for that too.

Sorry that the job, which you didn't actually want, didn't work out for you (??). Were you hoping that there would be an unwritten more convenient route to doing this? I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to get out of this thread....

Seriously, what's so difficult to comprehend about being *only* an American citizen?

The military is planning on investing a lot of money in you, giving you regular access to highly classified information and equipment, and potentially having you lead other Americans into combat operations.

As such, they want to be positively sure where your loyalties are.

We have some great allies out there, but if you think we don't also spy on the UK and Canada -- and they don't correspondingly spy on us, too -- then you're mistaken.

Seriously, what's so difficult to comprehend about being *only* an American citizen?

The military is planning on investing a lot of money in you, giving you regular access to highly classified information and equipment, and potentially having you lead other Americans into combat operations.

As such, they want to be positively sure where your loyalties are.

We have some great allies out there, but if you think we don't also spy on the UK and Canada -- and they don't correspondingly spy on us, too -- then you're mistaken.

What's so difficult to comprehend about renouncing my American citizenship?

I would feel equally crappy with either one. You'd have to be in my shoes to understand I guess, and I'll put money on not understanding.

I'd be willing to be bugged 24/7 to keep both. I'd be willing to have someone standing by to kill me for treason to keep both. But if I cannot in my heart renounce my other citizenship (that is unless there is a clause like the UK where you can get it back and I'd hope the US had the same), then I can likewise not renounce my American citizenship. It has nothing to do with being a double-agent. It's like keeping a family heirloom. I also speak, read, and write my other "native" language fluenty. No-one to talk to though. :p

I'd like to edit to add that I understand that the government wouldn't see it my way, as in "family heirloom", however I guess it'd probably be too much work to have someone standing by to take me out in the unlikely event that I were to do something nutty that they are attempting to prevent.

I don't think anyone would consider you to be a "traitor" or "double-agent" just because you have dual citizenship.....you wouldn't be the first or the last American citizen to have such an arrangement. The issue here is that if you intended to serve the armed forces, you should be serious enough about it to renounce your 2nd citizenship. There are plenty of "normal" American citizens who would love the opportunity to serve, let alone do so as a winged aviator.....no need to make exceptions for guys that "kinda think it would be cool". That said, you seem to already understand this, which leads back to the original question, what are you posting this for?

I don't think anyone would consider you to be a "traitor" or "double-agent" just because you have dual citizenship.....you wouldn't be the first or the last American citizen to have such an arrangement. The issue here is that if you intended to serve the armed forces, you should be serious enough about it to renounce your 2nd citizenship. There are plenty of "normal" American citizens who would love the opportunity to serve, let alone do so as a winged aviator.....no need to make exceptions for guys that "kinda think it would be cool". That said, you seem to already understand this, which leads back to the original question, what are you posting this for?

Well what else is a forum for? Post things to discuss.... which is what we're doing. I suppose we can delete it if the moderators wish it to be so. I guess I could just keep it to myself that I'm bummed out about it. Didn't know I was breaking some rule....

Now of course, if I were to give up my citizenship I still couldn't fly.... minor matter of vision.

It seems like you all are upset. You're entitled to be that way. But I did learn something in this thread - the poster that provided the link to the other forum about the issue.

Now if someone knows how to get a pilot slot with uncorrected vision worse than 20/70, I'm all ears.

I was also not just looking for a pilot slot though. If I could be a programmer or something of the like I'd have done that too....

It's the internet....of course I'm not upset. If you are truly upset about this, then I guess perhaps there is a purpose for this. But you seem really indifferent from your previous posts, so it's just a little confusing what the point is........get what I mean? I guess I will say that I have considered other careers at one point or another, and in many cases they all required something from me that I wasn't willing or excited about giving up. So perhaps this is kind of the realization you are having now? If so, best of luck to you finding something else that works for you!

It's the internet....of course I'm not upset. If you are truly upset about this, then I guess perhaps there is a purpose for this. But you seem really indifferent from your previous posts, so it's just a little confusing what the point is........get what I mean? I guess I will say that I have considered other careers at one point or another, and in many cases they all required something from me that I wasn't willing or excited about giving up. So perhaps this is kind of the realization you are having now? If so, best of luck to you finding something else that works for you!

Well that's good. Because I meant no disrespect to those serving or signing up to serve by making this post. I guess it was a really horribly round-about way of getting the information that was provided. The main reason I was looking at the Reserve was because I didn't want to quit what I was doing I just wanted to do something good on the side (to include whatever duties they'd provide above-and-beyond 1 weekend per month 2 weeks per year).

Anyhoo.... I guess we can kill this thread. One random persons musing about signing up. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back