So much for holding a line...

ready2fly

.. :whatever:

After three years of seniority....and one full year of holding a line....

....as of 1 December... I am officially back on reserve. :mad: :banghead:

I cannot frickin' STAND the airlines!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I feel for you. Although it's easy to say at this point, I think that if I were put back on reserve that I would aggressively pursue other opportunities inside and outside of aviation. Of course that's much easier said than done in this economy. What pushed you down?

My heart is with all of our furloughed guys, too.

J.

Could be worse. I held a Composite line for two months.. then they cancelled the upgrade classes and it was back to Reserve.

Now that things are slow on Reserve, the senior guys are cherry-picking the Reserve lines and leaving the scraps for the rest of us. That's kind of annoying.

Now that things are slow on Reserve, the senior guys are cherry-picking the Reserve lines and leaving the scraps for the rest of us. That's kind of annoying.

Well, I guess that's one benefit of having REALLY bad reserve rules. The senior guys stay the hell away from reserve. :)

And Stan, I'm sorry to hear that.

Un-out-freaking-standing. Totally.

Hey Im holding a line ..... the fourloughed line

how about you take my line and i go and sit at the airport on reserve

just kidding...yea it does suck but you still have a job

Could be worse. I held a Composite line for two months.. then they cancelled the upgrade classes and it was back to Reserve.

what would you hold if you were still at colgan? how long before you move to the next greener pasture?

Stan if it makes you feel any better my last CA is going to be on reserve for December and he has 22 years of seniority.

Reserve sucks that is why I will not do it anymore. :D

Only three whole years of seniority? WOW! Of course, I've been furloughed for longer than that in my career, so I really don't see the problem, but that's just me, YMMV.

Reserve is much better than furlough. Count your blessings.
Hmmmm, let's weigh this out (using my circumstances)

Furlough= unemployment, home everyday, still have nonrev benefits, able to look around for something better (in or out of aviation)

Reserve= Me being displaced from my base to CVG (a place I cannot stand), having to commute in for 6 days at a time on reserve (because after the others were furloughed, I am near the bottom again), sitting in the crew lounge on ready reserve, only 11 days off a month (of which 4 can be moved around), paying for a crash pad and a car to get there (CVG ain't easy when it comes to cp's), never making it past 75 hrs pay a month so I lose money from what I was making

Furlough>reserve!

November was my first month back on reserve (still at my base) in 2 years. I averaged 90-95 hrs per month, plus per diem when I held a line, cutting 15-20 hrs of pay a month plus less per diem is hard, being displaced to CVG makes it much harder to deal with.

Hmmmm, let's weigh this out (using my circumstances)

Furlough= unemployment, home everyday, still have nonrev benefits, able to look around for something better (in or out of aviation)

Reserve= Me being displaced from my base to CVG (a place I cannot stand), having to commute in for 6 days at a time on reserve (because after the others were furloughed, I am near the bottom again), sitting in the crew lounge on ready reserve, only 11 days off a month (of which 4 can be moved around), paying for a crash pad and a car to get there (CVG ain't easy when it comes to cp's), never making it past 75 hrs pay a month so I lose money from what I was making

Furlough>reserve!

November was my first month back on reserve (still at my base) in 2 years. I averaged 90-95 hrs per month, plus per diem when I held a line, cutting 15-20 hrs of pay a month plus less per diem is hard, being displaced to CVG makes it much harder to deal with.
Pretty sure someone would trade you right now.

It's not fun to go from line-holder back to RSV. Cut the guy a little slack. Sure, it's still better than furlough, but it still sucks!

Keep in mind too that people sometime bid really weird in Dec. People who would hold a line bid RSV to get Christmas or New Years off, odd family holiday plans, etc. So just cause you got RSV in Dec doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna stay that way.

I got the holidays off at AA by getting furloughed! Twice....

Pretty sure someone would trade you right now.

probably would, but to each their own. I'm in the same boat, and if I was given the option to take voluntary furlough to help out someone below me I would at this point. would have done it months ago. Now I'm getting furloughed in January and just want to get on with life. So, in my case furlough can't come soon enough. But, having said that, the economy is crap and there are tons of people who would kill just to have ANY job at this point so in that respect I consider us all lucky.

It's not fun to go from line-holder back to RSV. Cut the guy a little slack. Sure, it's still better than furlough, but it still sucks!

Keep in mind too that people sometime bid really weird in Dec. People who would hold a line bid RSV to get Christmas or New Years off, odd family holiday plans, etc. So just cause you got RSV in Dec doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna stay that way.

I got the holidays off at AA by getting furloughed! Twice....
I hate reserve so much that I bid for COLA in December. That was before I found out they were going to furlough more pilots. I got the COLA, I am off all of DEC, which would be great, except I wish I had the pay I would have made in Dec, for when they furlough me in Jan!

FWIW, I've seen enough of the Part 121 world.

Having come from another career where I made decent money, I've had enough of LOSING money (in comparison).

While I do have a job and I am not on furlough...and yes, I do understand that others have it worse in this industry - I still lose a huge chunk of change, so - yeah - I'm going to bitch a little.

I'm looking at other options. Hopefully will know something soon from a job I'm pursuing wherein I'll still be in aviation and make 2 1/2 times more than what I'm making now.

This has just kicked me in the butt to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for all the input... support and otherwise.

R2F

FWIW, I've seen enough of the Part 121 world.

Having come from another career where I made decent money, I've had enough of LOSING money (in comparison).

While I do have a job and I am not on furlough...and yes, I do understand that others have it worse in this industry - I still lose a huge chunk of change, so - yeah - I'm going to bitch a little.

I'm looking at other options. Hopefully will know something soon from a job I'm pursuing wherein I'll still be in aviation and make 2 1/2 times more than what I'm making now.

This has just kicked me in the butt to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for all the input... support and otherwise.

R2F
Dude! . . . sorry to hear about the backstepping. It doesn't seem that long ago when an upgrade wasn't out of the question. Now back to RSV. That really does suck man. I hope that you get the gig you want. You only deserve the best in my book.

For what it's worth, the months I spent on reserve at Eagle were by far the most miserable I've had as a professional pilot. It might be better if they're appropriately staffed now, but I'm willing to bet that the wretched treatment from crew schedulers is still there.

Stan, that sucks! I hope you can find something better soon.

Back