So much for "finders-keepers"

DE727UPS

OREGON CITY, Ore. -- Police said a Nevada man who lost his iPad on an airplane used an app called Find My iPad to locate it inside the Oregon home of a flight attendant.

Officers in Oregon City arrested 43-year-old Wendy Ronelle Dye Friday evening.

The flight attendant for Horizon Air allegedly told officers that a passenger brought her the tablet after the plane had landed, saying it was found on a seat.

Dye said she never used the iPad and planned to turn it over to airline officials, but police found some of her personal information on it including her husband's birthday.

Arrangements are being made to return the tablet to its owner in Reno. Dye did not immediately respond to a phone message.

A spokeswoman for Alaska Airlines, which owns Horizon, says Dye was suspended.

Dye's husband told KGW her union was investigating the matter, but said the police report was inaccurate.

Usually the cops will tell you to buzz off if you expect them to help you find your lost Iphone or Ipad. Must have been a cool cop to have put out the search and rescue party for that guy.

My buddy had his ipad stolen, used that same app... Located it, told the cops where it was exactly, and they told him to piss off. Nothing ever happened... Quality investigation...

Drank a couple beers with pedro tonight and you really shouldn't bother stealing an Apple product, especially out of the Apple store.

Sure you could probably exchange it for crack, that day, but the dopeman is going to be ringing your doorbell tomorrow morning about the 'brick' you gave him.

;)

I witnessed quite a few FAs in the ORD crew room at my former employer bragging about how they found ipods, iphones, Kindles and iPads. I heard this once. "Hell no I'm not returning it, that passenger was an ahole anyway" Fortunately someone didnt like what they heard, turned her in and she was fired.

I witnessed quite a few FAs in the ORD crew room at my former employer bragging about how they found ipods, iphones, Kindles and iPads. I heard this once. "Hell no I'm not returning it, that passenger was an ahole anyway" Fortunately someone didnt like what they heard, turned her in and she was fired.

That is seriously wrong, and I'm glad at least one got fired. My years flying were before iPods and iPads, but I actually have two letters of commendation in my file for returning custom-engraved metal luggage tags that had fallen off people's luggage. The addresses were on the tags and I took a whopping 5 minutes out of my day to mail them back. People appreciated the effort.

Are people still not aware of the Find Your iPad app?

I do password protect my iPad by the way. They might steal it but their not using it!

Because if you stole the Hope diamond or a Rembrandt, you'd have to keep it hidden. Where's the enjoyment in that?! ;) You definitely couldn't just walk those into Pawn Stars and get away with it. Lol

If you're going to get fired, make sure it's something worthwhile, not a freaking electronic device.

If you're going to get fired, make sure it's something worthwhile, not a freaking electronic device.

That's one of my justifications when I convince someone not to do something risky in the airplane.

"If I get fired, its going to be something awesome like 'He landed in the crew lot and walked to his car...' not "Its only a 5 kt tailwind, on a 11,000ft runway...you con't need to include it in the calculations.'"

These apps typically don't work well enough for police to care. Heck iPads are stolen in Starbucks all the time and the police don't do anything about it because they can't legally search the guy.

That is seriously wrong, and I'm glad at least one got fired. My years flying were before iPods and iPads, but I actually have two letters of commendation in my file for returning custom-engraved metal luggage tags that had fallen off people's luggage. The addresses were on the tags and I took a whopping 5 minutes out of my day to mail them back. People appreciated the effort.
Thank you for being honest. I lost an ipod on a flight once and more then likely it was stolen by a PAX, but in the chance a FA picked it up, I would have appreciated what you have done for others.

That's a shame, we track down an i-device probably once a week here. It usually doesn't take very long to go to where the device is and ask the person for it back. Of course, we are only a city of 250k, so that might make a difference.

That's a shame, we track down an i-device probably once a week here. It usually doesn't take very long to go to where the device is and ask the person for it back. Of course, we are only a city of 250k, so that might make a difference.

Who's we? Are you a cop?

We have a judge that will use Find My iPad as PC for a warrant! It's a lot easier with the paperwork in hand.......

I agree with EMU, if you're going to be fired, make sure you get fired for a good reason. You should be able to brag about why you were fired at a party later......

Back