So much for "finders-keepers"

I do find it amazing that people lose something like an ipad. Ya think after you spend several hundred bucks on something you might keep track of where it is.

I do find it amazing that people lose something like an ipad. Ya think after you spend several hundred bucks on something you might keep track of where it is.
unfamiliar routine and environment which for most passengers is just about everything related to flying

I lost a Bluetooth keyboard.

I have a specific routine because I'm always packing traveling and unpacking and when I get off that routine, I'll lose stuff sometimes.

Sent from my TRS-80

I've come close to leaving stuff on planes. I was non-revving a couple times and took my seat, put everything away, and then the gate agents called me up to deplane because a revenue passener showed up and the flight couldn't leave because of maintenance or whatever. Pretty easy to leave something in the seatback pocket when it's not in plain sight and you're trying to gather everything. I can only imagine for people that don't fly on a regular basis.

People taking this kind of stuff really pisses me off though. I'm a big "do unto others as you'd have them do to you" type of person. I've had my wallet fall out of my pocket while loading bins TWICE (stupid me). One on a PHL flight and once on an LGA flight. Both times I got it back with everything in it. Sure, it helps that we called the station and let them know before the plane landed, but they could have easily skimmed a couple bucks out and it would have been my word versus theirs. I've found iphones, fancy headphones, ipads, kindles, wallets with tons of cash in them, etc, and always turned them in. Just doing what I would want someone to do if I was in that position. Not to mention there was a guy that worked in Delta baggage service at my airport that actually went to jail when a situation almost exactly like this came up. Supposedly the police showed up to his house and they found a bunch of stuff that had been left behind.

I wonder what happened to "it's not yours!"? :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Just a word of caution, if you (for example, as a F/A) do find something like that on a plane, CALL THE INFLIGHT OFFICE IMMEDIATELY (as in call them from the plane if you can). Inform them of your location, time, flight number, a/c number, and description of item found, and let THEM tell you what to do. If it's after office hours, contact local station management.

If you so much as remove the item from the plane, even with the intention of taking it to the inflight office or the station manager or whatnot you CAN get in trouble for removing the item. Depending on circumstance, you may or may not actually get in any trouble, but from a paranoid former-AMR-employee point of view, cover your butt and document every step you take once you find the item. That way YOUR butt is in the clear if it should turn up missing and someone comes looking for it (or it's found somewhere else) later.

Just a word of caution, if you (for example, as a F/A) do find something like that on a plane, CALL THE INFLIGHT OFFICE IMMEDIATELY (as in call them from the plane if you can). Inform them of your location, time, flight number, a/c number, and description of item found, and let THEM tell you what to do. If it's after office hours, contact local station management.

If you so much as remove the item from the plane, even with the intention of taking it to the inflight office or the station manager or whatnot you CAN get in trouble for removing the item. Depending on circumstance, you may or may not actually get in any trouble, but from a paranoid former-AMR-employee point of view, cover your butt and document every step you take once you find the item. That way YOUR butt is in the clear if it should turn up missing and someone comes looking for it (or it's found somewhere else) later.

Good advice Amber. I might add, depending on your employer, you might be alright with taking it up to the gate agent. I have done this because oftentimes we find something very shortly after folks have deplaned, and most are generally not too far away.

"leave item within aircraft footprint / up to the gate of arrival"

My former company always advised crew members to return a lost item to the gate agent. Mmmm, yeah, Im not too sure about that one. We all know not all gate agents hang their wings up before bed each night. Id prefer to just give it to the skipper "need another responsibility? Welp, here yah go" ;)

I've recovered five stolen iPhones this month using the Find My iPhone application. So yes, police will use the tracking software to recover a phone if we can.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you are doing yourself a great disservice if you do not set up that application.

The online security/protect yourself/passwords gurus seem to be pretty universally against enabling any of the track my i-whatever software. YMMV.

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 9.08.22 PM.png

Yeah, but we can find out where you are anyway so might as well go ahead and turn on "Find My iPhone" so you can at least get it back if it's stolen. :)

Shall I zoom in some more? :)

Our flight attendant this trip accidentally left her wallet on the plane last night at the outstation. She was woken up this morning at 6am when her bank called her to inform her of suspicious activity on her account. Somebody got gas at three different gas stations right next to the airport.

I really hope I get to hear how THAT one ends. "I'm gonna take this from the airplane even though I'm only one of 4-5 badged employees who is allowed on it. Nobody will ever know!"

The online security/protect yourself/passwords gurus seem to be pretty universally against enabling any of the track my i-whatever software. YMMV.

If you have any sort of smartphone device, you are already being pretty well universally tracked. If privacy matters to you, use a payphone.

These apps typically don't work well enough for police to care. Heck iPads are stolen in Starbucks all the time and the police don't do anything about it because they can't legally search the guy.
Not, well, not really, well, just, nevermind.

Not, well, not really, well, just, nevermind.

For the most part the police don't care.

How do I know that photo is off the iPad?

The GPS signal isn't 100% accurate.

Excuse me sir, could you please empty your bag? "no". Sorry can't do any more.

The app my function just fine, but law enforcement may not care at all.

For the most part the police don't care.

How do I know that photo is off the iPad?

The GPS signal isn't 100% accurate.

Excuse me sir, could you please empty your bag? "no". Sorry can't do any more.

The app my function just fine, but law enforcement may not care at all.
I was more referring to the last bit, but yes. When I had an iPad lifted from me (along with a few other things) in Portland, they sent a report car with a bored-looking Bureau of Police officer who was clearly more interested in lunch than actually handling calls for service. It was a felony theft and, to my knowledge, nothing has come of it.

Back