So I got an email from my HR Rep today...

My off topic post for the day.

loppy.jpg

I think you all worried too much about getting hired when marking your selection for terminal or center. I don't think you all realize just how much the FAA needs controllers. They'll put just about anyone anywhere they want to go. Of course they aren't likely to give you facility preference, but not because they can't, because then they would have to do it for everyone.
I just completed seven years controlling in the military. I have several friends working in all sorts of facility's in the FAA. They all say the same thing, "if you can speak English and read/write, we'll take you". I only applied for terminal CA and that's what I got. Luckily they did switch my facility for me but only because I'm VRA. My point is, don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want. It won't hurt, they'll put you as close to where you want to go as they can.

On a side note, what's with all of you wanting en route? Have you ever been to a center? It seems extremely boring to me. I have a friend at LA center as well as one at Miami center and they are both bored out of their minds. Yeah, the pay is good, but I'd much rather work higher paced traffic and get some enjoyment out of my job. My friend at Miami center says they're all over weight and suicidal.:laff:.
I opted for Tracon and thats what I got. The pay, once fully qualified, is comparable to center, but there is much more excitement and intensity of work. :nana2:

On a side note, what's with all of you wanting en route? Have you ever been to a center? It seems extremely boring to me.

So tell me slick, how many centers have you been checked out at? I have been at a busy VFR tower, two approach controls and one of the busiest centers in the FAA (all that after 5 military facilities) from my experience a center controller has got to be the most satisfying ATC experience I have had. The most enjoyment would have to go to the VFR tower but as far a job satisfaction, from a complex busy facility, the center is by far the best.

I have a friend at LA center as well as one at Miami center and they are both bored out of their minds.

I know controllers at both and my guess is your friends are feeding you a line.

Yeah, the pay is good, but I'd much rather work higher paced traffic and get some enjoyment out of my job.

I have typed several responses to that comment and most end up telling you what a tool you are. After reconsidering, I will not do that. What I will say is that until you have some experience you may want to withhold your comments about how much traffic other controllers actually work.

I opted for Tracon and thats what I got. The pay, once fully qualified, is comparable to center, but there is much more excitement and intensity of work. :nana2:

You appear to have made a uniformed decision, I hope it works out for you.

People were saying this same thing back in June with pub1. It did not turn out to be accurate

I hope it isn't, I'm sick of waiting!

So what has happened with you lately anyway, you still going to your unwanted facility or have you opted to do like me and decline and hope for the best?

My friend at Miami center says they're all over weight and suicidal.:laff:.

Then tell your fat suicidal friends to learn to do something else when they get time off of work to exercise or take up a hobby/sport, instead of complaining about stuff all the time.

This separating of panels seems logical. Aren't they having 2 PEPC's in NY that are two weeks apart as well? I heard the week of the 6th and the week of the 20th. Perhaps the PEPCs correlate with the panels.

This separating of panels seems logical. Aren't they having 2 PEPC's in NY that are two weeks apart as well? I heard the week of the 6th and the week of the 20th. Perhaps the PEPCs correlate with the panels.

Regarding PEPCs, when we did ours for the first PUBNAT they did Terminal and Enroute all at the same location, the first 2 days were for Enrouters and the last 3 were for Terminal, at least for the Memphis one. And if what everyone is saying is true, that PUBNAT 2 is less people than the first, I don't see why they'd need 2 seperate weeks of PEPCs for each position.

But who knows:panic:

No. This was info I put out there from my source. I said that the dates thrown around for operations managers conducting interviews at the upcoming Pepc's are either the weeks of OCT 6 or OCT 20 in New York and the week of Nov 20 in Los Angeles.

I have contacted my source via email and he has told me that he was checking on those dates and locations once again because the dates he gave me were tentative. I will post a new thread with the exact dates in the near future.

I wasn't at all trying to start an argument, I was just sharing what I've heard. I've only toured LA center and honestly, yeah, it seemed rather boring. No, I don't have personal experience working center, I only have Tower and approach experience.
As for what my friends have told me, it may have had more to do with the workers being disgruntled. I guess that can be chalked up to the situations with the contract, or lack there of.
And as far as my "uniformed decision", I know center pays more but the difference is not big enough for me, personally, to work center. I may be wrong, but approach just seems to be higher paced then center. Either way, right or wrong, the purpose of my original post was to let applicants know that they can be a little on the picky side if its what they really want.

I wasn't at all trying to start an argument, I was just sharing what I've heard. I've only toured LA center and honestly, yeah, it seemed rather boring. No, I don't have personal experience working center, I only have Tower and approach experience.
As for what my friends have told me, it may have had more to do with the workers being disgruntled. I guess that can be chalked up to the situations with the contract, or lack there of.
And as far as my "uniformed decision", I know center pays more but the difference is not big enough for me, personally, to work center. I may be wrong, but approach just seems to be higher paced then center. Either way, right or wrong, the purpose of my original post was to let applicants know that they can be a little on the picky side if its what they really want.

I wont pretend to know about who controls more traffic... but doesn't approach take traffic from centers....wouldn't that mean they are controlling the same if not more traffic.

Example ZAU is controlling en-route traffic over IL going to other destinations plus directing traffic to ORD approach MDW approach....

I always thought that the level of the facility has more to do with the amount of air traffic it handled. Thats why Chicago center is a 12....Alaska center is a 10 and podunk airport is a 5.

Maybe Archie or ATLTRACON could clear this up for us....

No. You don't understand Wyopoke. The level of a facility is directly correlative to how fat and suicidal the controllers are that work there. See, a level five just kind of hates their job and still participates in some outdoor activities, while at a level 12 everyone there is over 500 lbs and after work has a date with a barstool, a bottle of JD and a .357

Center actually controls more traffic but its spread out over a larger area. With approach your lining up aircraft toward the runway while avoiding all the other traffic in the area going to other air fields. Its just more congested.

No. You don't understand Wyopoke. The level of a facility is directly correlative to how fat and suicidal the controllers are that work there. See, a level five just kind of hates their job and still participates in some outdoor activities, while at a level 12 everyone there is over 500 lbs and after work has a date with a barstool, a bottle of JD and a .357
:)

Back