So how long did it take the FAA to get a case reviewed?

Itchy

I know it's quiet around this corner, but I am a sad panda. My medical was due in March, and so far have been without it. Physical was on the third week of March, but the AME had to send my discharge files from a hospital visit from June into the ivory tower in OKC for essentially a one and done headache.
I am sitting around trying (unsuccessfully so far) collect unemployment. Disability is not available as it happened over 6 months ago, and I am not disabled. In a catch 22 without loss of license insurance.

Pretty damn depressing. Our government at work. Was told it would be one to three weeks from now, making it 7 weeks so far. I still have yet to get my first unemployment check to boot.

Sorry you are going through this. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with application tracking. The rollout of the fully functional tracking system (dubbed AMSIS, Aerospace Medical Safety Information System) isn't due until Q1 2023. Oklahoma City has been warning of longer wait times due to staffing shortages.

Dr F

First and foremost, every case is different. There's MY leading caveat. Even with the AOPA PPS + to assist me through the process, mine was significantly more than your seven weeks.

. . .but that was just me.

I know it's quiet around this corner, but I am a sad panda. My medical was due in March, and so far have been without it. Physical was on the third week of March, but the AME had to send my discharge files from a hospital visit from June into the ivory tower in OKC for essentially a one and done headache.
I am sitting around trying (unsuccessfully so far) collect unemployment. Disability is not available as it happened over 6 months ago, and I am not disabled. In a catch 22 without loss of license insurance.
I had similar. 7 months of FAA hell. Local FSDO put me in touch with the regional flight surgeon and they had it done within 3ish weeks iirc. OKC is useless but the RFS office at least practices quack medicine at a faster pace. They sent me a letter along with my unrestricted first class detailing all my potentially grounding conditions. All but the last sentence was about the asthma I’ve reported since age 16 that was totally unrelated to why I’d been deferred. I’m not at all still bitter.

Yeh similarly with Medical Flight Tests. First one took a year to set up. The second one I did 3 months. Just keep persevering.

Sorry you are going through this. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with application tracking. The rollout of the fully functional tracking system (dubbed AMSIS, Aerospace Medical Safety Information System) isn't due until Q1 2023. Oklahoma City has been warning of longer wait times due to staffing shortages.

Dr F
Staffing shortages is creating bottlenecks in a number of FAA functions.

looking forward, does a senior AME who knows when and has the confidence to get the ducks in a row and not defer help?

Also, don’t be afraid to pick up a phone and bother them. They lost my medical info when I was a new-hire with the FAA and the only reason I found out was because I called my HR rep and she asked why I hadn’t dont my medical stuff yet. I was like I did it 4 weeks ago and haven’t heard from y’all since….

Back