Snowball's chance in . . .

TexasGuy

Snowball\'s chance in . . .

I'm 25 year old grad student in Ft. Worth who is REALLY interested in flying for the ANG. My question is, "Am I being realistic in pursuing this?" I had decent grades in college, currently have great grades in grad school, have perfect vision and am in good shape physically, but I don't have a PPL (working on that this summer). Also, my undergrad degree is not in a science area, plus I don't really know anyone in the ANG ranks. Thanks for any insight you might have.

Re: Snowball\'s chance in . . .

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 25 year old grad student in Ft. Worth who is REALLY interested in flying for the ANG. My question is, "Am I being realistic in pursuing this?" I had decent grades in college, currently have great grades in grad school, have perfect vision and am in good shape physically, but I don't have a PPL (working on that this summer). Also, my undergrad degree is not in a science area, plus I don't really know anyone in the ANG ranks. Thanks for any insight you might have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say never. Although, getting to know people in a particular unit can help, being in the unit can help, etc; many that have those items don't meet the other qual criteria. Having a PPL would show basic aptitude for flight, but isn't required. Call around to the different units themselves and inquire on when they're hiring, how many slots are available, when apps can be filed. Show the interest and do the groundwork, it can only help.

I say go for it. Worst that can happen is not get a slot, but the best that can happen....

MD

I believe the 147th FW (Houston) is accepting packets for an F-16 slot(s). And also the 136th AW (NASJRB Ft Worth); they fly the Herc.

Best advice is to start NOW!
smile.gif
The ANG is similar to the AFRES in selection criteria, and a PPL is not "required" but "suggested" - and I believe they are even starting to send non-PPL selectees through initial flight training (IFT) for 40 hours to get your PPL prior to attending flight school.... The last batch of guys we selected all did have some flight training, but save one, were non-prior service. Just make some phone calls, check on baseops.net under the hiring classifieds, talk to the operations guys and the recruiters both - just don't believe anything the recruiters say, but use them to help you get forms, etc. for processing. Good luck!

Back