Smoking - and medical

It just hit me, I should probably be more specific

By smokers I mean, Nicotine - Cigars, Cigarettes and so forth....

Unless you have a particular medical concern, I don't think this will be an issue.

I remember watching planes at a small airport, and one of the controllers stepped outside to have a cigarette. So some ATCers, like anyone else, smoke.

You may want to avoid smoking the morning of the PEPC. I have heard nicotine, along with caffeine can cause some abnormalities to show on the ECG. Other than that you should be fine.

Going 4-8 hours sans nicotine is too dang long! Can we wear a patch?

But a patch still contains nicotine, thus it'll still affect your heart... right?

I don't smoke, but I would imagine 1 cigarette before PEPC isn't going to hurt... it'll be hours before you get to the EKG part. Plus, the concern is really EXCESSIVE caffeine/nicotine, just a little probably won't hurt.

Just make sure you give yourself a couple hours between the last cigarette/soda/etc before heading to the PEPC. Mine started at 9:00am, interview was over by 10:15 & I was off to medical. Better to be safe than sorry!

Quit smoking. Problem solved

But it makes you look cool! I couldn't possibly quit, I get to grumpy and irritable.

Mary89.jpg

I smoked years ago in high school... and I still don't understand how someone could take a job that might require hours of concentration without a nicotine fix...

I picture a withdrawing controller, with his face pressed against the tower glass, watching someone on the ground light up while refueling an aircraft (safety first).. :drool:

I just quit chewing myself. I would advise getting a medical check-up before PEPC to be sure you're not too close to the line as far as your BP overall health might be concerned. I personally am really close to the BP cut-off so there's no way in hell I'm going to risk screwing myself for a plug of tobacco.

I smoked years ago in high school... and I still don't understand how someone could take a job that might require hours of concentration without a nicotine fix...

I picture a withdrawing controller, with his face pressed against the tower glass, watching someone on the ground light up while refueling an aircraft (safety first).. :drool:
back in the day, they used to smoke in the facility...it was practically a requirement to smoke

Back