Small plane makes forced landing on Bronx highway

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I'll bet you $100 there are twenty drivers and automobile passengers in hospitals complaining of neck pain that are calling lawyers as we speak. #OHNYC

140104170952-plane-on-highway-story-top.jpg

By Ray Sanchez. Sho Wills and Felicia Schwartz CNN
January 4, 2014 -- Updated 2242 GMT (0642 HKT)

New York (CNN)
-- A small plane with engine trouble made a forced landing Saturday on a busy highway in the Bronx, injuring three people, authorities said.

The 1966 Piper PA-28-180 aircraft landed about 3:20 p.m near the East 233rd Street exit on the Major Deegan Expressway, authorities said.

It appears the single-engine plane avoided cars on the normally busy highway that connects the Bronx with Westchester County, said police spokeswoman Annette Markowski.

Police said there were three people on board: the pilot and two passengers.

The three were were taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, fire department spokesman Frank Dwyer said.

A hospital spokesman, Steve Clark, said two men and one woman were transported to St. Barnabas. Two of the passengers refused treatment and a woman was treated for a minor head injury, he said. The three were to be discharged.

Fire officials initially said the three suffered serious injuries.

Images from the scene showed the small plane on the highway, surrounded by emergency vehicles and first responders.

There was no immediate information about damage to the aircraft or traffic on the highway at the time of the landing, authorities said.

The northbound lanes on the Major Deegan -- where the plane landed -- were closed, police said. Southbound lanes were still open, except for one lane devoted to emergency vehicles.

The plane is registered to a resident of Westchester County.

Nicely done. Flying over SF last night, I was thinking about where to ditch and realized its so densely populated that a busy street would pretty much be the only option in many parts of the city. Time for renters insurance.

I saw it, live! My wife and I were driving south bound on 87. It was quite a sight to behold once I realized the plane was actually going down. They "touched-down" about 50 yards in front of us. We stopped to call 911. The look on the face of the pilot was priceless as his pax were struggling to get out of the plane......I'd say it was a job very well done!

Oh and yes my neck does hurt a little, maybe i should call my lawyer....

Nicely done. Flying over SF last night, I was thinking about where to ditch and realized its so densely populated that a busy street would pretty much be the only option in many parts of the city. Time for renters insurance.

Or you could learn to swim. Hint hint. :D

I have secretly always desired to dead stick a small plane onto a roadway and then get out and ask for directions and/or the number for AAA.

If I ever have to land on a road for other than a fire, you bet the engine is getting overhauled. At that point, insurance owns it and I'm worried about a billion other things, not the prop or engine.
Really, a billion? You worry too much. You used to be more carefree. :)

If I ever have to land on a road for other than a fire, you bet the engine is getting overhauled. At that point, insurance owns it and I'm worried about a billion other things, not the prop or engine.

Insurance May own it, but if there was no damage to prop, i.e. engine damage, then you will pay for the overhaul. Insurance covers damage FROM the collision, not was caused the collision. Speaking from experience here.

Insurance May own it, but if there was no damage to prop, i.e. engine damage, then you will pay for the overhaul. Insurance covers damage FROM the collision, not was caused the collision. Speaking from experience here.
I understand what you are saying, and believe you and your experience. My point was if the fan up front isn't keeping me cool, and I have to sweat a landing on a road, there's something wrong with what makes the fan keep me cool.

Yes, it could be a fuel problem; I was speaking about engine problems specifically.

Man, you guys are taking things way too literally, lately. Time to go explore more of Switzerland. Enjoy.

So are you better off dinging up the prop, so the insurance pays to straighten it and do a prop strike inspection on the engine?

Back